Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2006 2:26:57 PM EDT
Right now i've got a fullsize 92 Blazer with a 5.7L. Its still running strong with 211,000 miles on it. It hasn't had any major problems outside of normal parts wearing out so i've been happy with it.  Right now i'm just considering my options for my next truck so i've got it together when the time comes.

I'm considering a mid to late 90's Tahoe or 4Runner.  I am more familiar with the Tahoe since is just like my truck with an extra door, but I know nothing about the 4Runner.  How realiable are they? Any common problems or years to avoid? What do I need to know about the 4Runner?

What are your experiences with either truck? Which do you think I should go with?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:49:13 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Right now i've got a fullsize 92 Blazer with a 5.7L. Its still running strong with 211,000 miles on it. It hasn't had any major problems outside of normal parts wearing out so i've been happy with it.  Right now i'm just considering my options for my next truck so i've got it together when the time comes.

I'm considering a mid to late 90's Tahoe or 4Runner.  I am more familiar with the Tahoe since is just like my truck with an extra door, but I know nothing about the 4Runner.  How realiable are they? Any common problems or years to avoid? What do I need to know about the 4Runner?

What are your experiences with either truck? Which do you think I should go with?

The Toyota is very reliable.  They will go 200K+ with very little problems.  I think you should go with the Tahoe.  Besides with the 4Runner you'd get only a 3.4 V-6 instead of the 5.7 V-8
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:58:02 AM EDT
[#2]
U can get the V8 in them now in the 4Runners. They are bigger but not as big as the Tahoe. I would sell the Tahoe now while it is still running good. Go try them out.V8
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:05:15 PM EDT
[#3]
If you're attached to having a tailgate, then go with a '95 4runner or earlier.  Starting in '96, all 4runners have a hatchback.  (Women were complaining that they had to reach over the tailgate to get the groceries out of the back--and thus another SUV ruined)  The 95 4runner is a solid machine, and more reliable than any Chevy.  If you're looking to buy new, the 4runner is now available in V8, and you really notice the difference.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:32:05 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
U can get the V8 in them now in the 4Runners. They are bigger but not as big as the Tahoe. I would sell the Tahoe now while it is still running good. Go try them out.V8

I was gonna say that but he's looking for a mid to late 90's 4Runner.  The newer ones would be out of the question then.  The mid to late 90's ones have the 3.4L V-6 in them.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:57:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Toyota's are nice (I drive a Crew Cab Pre Runner 02') but I would have to say go with the Tahoe (my wife drives an 02') and the drive/handling is no comparison.  I love Toyota's but have been very happy with the Tahoe as well.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:45:36 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Toyota's are nice (I drive a Crew Cab Pre Runner 02') but I would have to say go with the Tahoe (my wife drives an 02') and the drive/handling is no comparison.  I love Toyota's but have been very happy with the Tahoe as well.  

Until U drive a Tundra then you fell the difference my Tundra drives nicer then my moms Lincoln. Hell go for the Sequoia. My buddy has the same truck as you and it is not to plush but the new ones are real nice and almost as big as the Tundra. MY first truck was a 89 4X4 SR5 that I drove for 13 years and I that that was nice until I droped it off at the dealer and drove home the Tundra. Test drive them for yourself before U buy, both are great SUV's
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:05:56 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I think you should go with the Tahoe.  Besides with the 4Runner you'd get only a 3.4 V-6 instead of the 5.7 V-8

That was another question, I do some light towing fairly often. Two or three quads, or two or three motorcycles, or a trailer load of odd things. How would the 3.4 V6 handle that? My 5.7 isn't a powerhouse by any means, but it handles that stuff ok.  

ETA: The new V8 4Runner is out of the question. Its out of my price range. The reason I'm going with mid to late 90's is thats what is in my price range for these two trucks.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:24:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Camel,
I honestly can't tell you what the towing capacity of the Toyota would be, I'd imagine maybe around 4K pounds but I'm not sure.  

As to the power of the 5.7 V-8 I'll say this: My dad has a 5.0(305) in his 3/4 ton pickup and it has a TON of power.  Never tried towing with it but if a 5.0 is powerful than a 5.7 must be better.

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:55:19 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I think you should go with the Tahoe.  Besides with the 4Runner you'd get only a 3.4 V-6 instead of the 5.7 V-8

That was another question, I do some light towing fairly often. Two or three quads, or two or three motorcycles, or a trailer load of odd things. How would the 3.4 V6 handle that? My 5.7 isn't a powerhouse by any means, but it handles that stuff ok.  

ETA: The new V8 4Runner is out of the question. Its out of my price range. The reason I'm going with mid to late 90's is thats what is in my price range for these two trucks.

The V-6 will pull that much weight no problem but more power is allways better, but U loose out some in the gas milage. MY old truck with the first Toyota V6 came out. I use to pull my Ranger bass boat with it with no problems I was not hauling ass but it got me there with the boat behind me. The new V-6 has shit load of HP come out of them. It depends how often U pull stuff and how far and how many hilly roads you have on the way. My Tundra half the time I forget the boat is even back there. Go check each one out before U buy one. But U could help out old GM(the smaller guys working there) buy buying a Tahoe.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top