Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2006 7:06:26 PM EDT
Are they steel, or cast iron?

edit:  factory original.  I know you can get aluminum or other fancy ones.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:12:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Some were cast, m-21,m-22 used a steel unit for the most part. I don't have the part number reference anymore. They both were good for most non-race applications and under 7,000 rpm. the best insurance is to run a steel bellhousing...... I'm a big-block Mopar freak but I've had many small block chev's. What are you doing to that mouse motor?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:12:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I can't   imagine  them  being  iron
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:14:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Stay away from the aluminum wheels - Small block general need a little flywheel ineritia to help them keep turning. Also aluminum flywheels are generalyy not-safe.......

Quoted:
Are they steel, or cast iron?

edit:  factory original.  I know you can get aluminum or other fancy ones.

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:16:21 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Some were cast, m-21,m-22 used a steel unit for the most part. I don't have the part number reference anymore. They both were good for most non-race applications and under 7,000 rpm. the best insurance is to run a steel bellhousing...... I'm a big-block Mopar freak but I've had many small block chev's. What are you doing to that mouse motor?

Actually, I built a 450HP 383 a few years ago.
And my memory was fading regarding what the flywheels were made of.

However, my question wasn't regarding performance.
I just knew there would be a car guy with a better memory then me.

A buddy emailed saying he was taking his 50-bmg to the range this weekend,
and a flywheel from a 350 to use as a target.

I couldn't remember if they were cast iron, or steel.
Which would determine what to expect when it got hit by a bullet.
Two shots to cast iron would likely crack it in half.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:20:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:26:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Your 383 was probably externally ballanced.. Was it a 4-speed?. Most auto tranny cars had a torqe converter that was ballanced to the 400 crank. Never saw a stick-shift combo If so where did you get the flywheel for a "400" crankshaft? Neat combo - just curious.....
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:31:00 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Your 383 was probably externally ballanced.. Was it a 4-speed?. Most auto tranny cars had a torqe converter that was ballanced to the 400 crank. Never saw a stick-shift combo If so where did you get the flywheel for a "400" crankshaft? Neat combo - just curious.....

I bought a crank that would allow me to use a stock 350 flywheel.
It cost a bit more than a 400 crank, but not as much as the extra cost of the flywheel.

Edit:  I am using Richmond 6-speed overdrive.  4-speeds aren't enough speeds for me.
(although with the 3.55 posi, the only time it was ever in 6th was well over 130mph)
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:33:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Most were nodular cast iron.  Z28's used one that was 12lbs or something like that.

rj
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:47:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I built a383 in 1981 and stuck it in a 1980 el camino with a turbo 400 tranny the car only had 4,000 miles on it when I made the swap. A real tire fryer. Interesting enough the car originally had a 305 with a 4-speed from the factory. A real weird combo. Tried to use the 4-speed set-up but had trouble ballancing the flywheel to the 400 crank. So it was automatic and a real loose converter. No brakes and no handling but it ran some high 13's @ 105 1/4 times. I pulled a 20' boat and trailer with it and could boil the tires at 40 m.p.h.. Just one of many cars that have left me broke and hopeless...
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:55:31 PM EDT
[#10]
I've pulled maybe 5 or 6 out from behind small blocks, all were in pickups except for one Monte Carlo.  305's, 350's and 400's, all had iron/steel flywheels.  The only special one is the 400, it's externally balanced, along with the harmonic balancer.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:13:09 PM EDT
[#11]
10-4 on the ballancer, The 400 was a mess when it came to ballancing. but worth the effort in torque and tire frying ability...............
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top