Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2005 11:24:54 AM EDT
Vehicle='97 Chevy C-2500 pickup.  305/5.0 V8, auto tranny. About 66K miles.  

Problem=hard time starting. It takes 2-several times before starting.  

Please consider this before posting: This truck tends to sit.  A lot.  

This is my dad's truck and he has replaced:
-Fuel Filter.  
-spark plugs.

He had the same problem with a '95 C-3500 he had with the 6.5 diesel.

It turned out to be a fuel "relay."

He also thinks that there is a "second filter" in the tank and it might be clogged.

Any and all help is appreciated, and you will get a
and my respect.

Thanks In Advance,
Deej86

UPDATE
My dad filled it up with gas.  It started right up and hasn't had any problems since today.

He thinks it was a case of bad gas.  
My family won't be visiting Speedway to buy gas...BP all the way!
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:40:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:42:47 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
My 92 Caprice is the same way. 350 with TBI.
According to a mechanic friend of mine this is normal for Chev/GMC as they lack a "one way valve" in the fuel system. So when the vehicle sits for a period of time the fuel drains back into the tank, thus requiring either a couple of trys before it starts or one long cranking period.

I don't think though that the '97's have TBI, I think that they might thave Multi Port Injection, what with
them being "VORTEC"'s and all.

I think the main problem has to be that it sits a lot.

My dad drives another vehicle to work, no one drives this vehicle other than him, and so it sits.

But I think that seems right.  
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:43:34 AM EDT
[#3]
ETA-It starts fine if you drive it somewhere and stop, and then start it again.  The "initial start of the day", if you will, is the problem.  
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:47:53 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
My 92 Caprice is the same way. 350 with TBI.
According to a mechanic friend of mine this is normal for Chev/GMC as they lack a "one way valve" in the fuel system. So when the vehicle sits for a period of time the fuel drains back into the tank, thus requiring either a couple of trys before it starts or one long cranking period.
ETA..not sure about 95's but my 92 has a "sock" on the fuel pick up in the tank, but no filter.

Yeah, that's the thing that my dad was talking about with the '97, the vehicle in question. He thinks this "sock" maybe clogged.  
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 12:41:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 12:44:01 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
ETA-It starts fine if you drive it somewhere and stop, and then start it again.  The "initial start of the day", if you will, is the problem.  

I'm not a mechanic but if GM didn't put the valve on the TBI's I doubt they put it on the multi ports either. My Caprice does exactly what you are describing. Has since the day I bought it.
I wouldn't worry about it.

Okay.  I really think more than anything that it has to do with it sits more than it's driven.

Thanks Striker.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 12:45:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 1:02:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Turn the ignition to the run position, wait until you hear the fuel pump stop running.
turn the igition back to off, and then to run again,
Try to start it.
If that cures you woes, then the fuel pump/system is likely the problem.

Also, does it do this when the engine is warm?
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 2:02:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:22:21 PM EDT
[#10]
I still think it has to do with the fact that it is sitting.  When the truck is hot(ie been running for a while and shut off) it starts right up.

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:48:07 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Turn the ignition to the run position, wait until you hear the fuel pump stop running.
turn the igition back to off, and then to run again,
Try to start it.
If that cures you woes, then the fuel pump/system is likely the problem.

Also, does it do this when the engine is warm?

+1

This way the pump pressurizes the fuel system twice instead of once, hopefully getting the fuel that has drained back, back up to the motor and the injectors.

Deej, give this a try and see if it helps any.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:31:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Let me just ask again about that starting thing for clarification. Correct me if I don't have it right.

1. Turn key straight to  "RUN"(not "START" first but to "RUN?"
2. Turn it to "OFF"(not "LOCK?")
3. Try turning key straight to "RUN".  

If it starts, you've got a f/s problem?

If it doesn't start(which I'm assuming normally it won't) it's okay?

Deej86
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:16:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Run, Off, Run, Start.

Pause for about 2 seconds when you turn it to Run and them try to start it.

I think it means that the fuel pump isn't holding the pressure and allowing the pressurized fuel to seep back throuhg the pump into the gas tank overnight. The reason it woulldn't do this when it has been driven that day is probably because the seals in the pump are tight enough to keep the fuel system pressure up for a couple hours at a time, but not able to retain the pressure for long hours overnight or for days on end without being driven.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 10:16:01 AM EDT
[#14]
BTT and tag because of update.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top