Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2004 5:43:48 PM EDT
Anyone had any experience with lighting Chevy Luminas?  I am tasked with having to outfit ours with unobtrusive lights.  Everything out there seems to be geared towards CV's and Impalas.  I can't effectively use grill lights because I only have about 3/4" of visibility.  I'm leaning toward a Code 3 Dash-Miser for the front dash with a directional light stick and LED's on the back deck.  Anyone have any other suggestions?
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:05:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Our traffic cars are slick tops in wichita Kansas.  
You might give a call to our guys.  I wish I could steer you in the right direction.
I just drive the ones with the light bars.  

We have impala's though.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:26:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I drove a '93 Lumina slick top. Mine was set up with  Federal Firebeam with mirror on the front dash and rear deck (as far to driver's side as possible in the rear). We had an alternating flasher on the headlights and two red lights and the siren speaker mounted on a push bar on the front end. (Gal crossing the front of the patrol car took care of the push bar, so we mounted the lights down low at the front bumber, hid the speaker partially under the bumper.) we also put two thin Halogen flashers on the back deck on either side of the 3rd brake light. I put a single 3 amp diode in the wire to each brake light / turn signal bulb and ran a flasher on them also.

Actually had better luck clearing traffic with this set up than the cars with the MX7000s.

Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:39:33 PM EDT
[#3]
LED lights mounted on the dashboard, and over the rearview mirror.

LED's in the grille, 3/4 of an inch could be plenty of space.

Strobes in the turn signal and taillights.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:07:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a Firebeam combo on my front dash, a Whelen Talon double LED on the left front of my dash, and a Whelen Dashmiser two head strobe mounted at the right visor.
And a Whelen Dashmiser above my brake light.

It's a '99 Lumina.

I would whole-heartedly recommend the Whelen Talons for what you are doing, as they are unobtrusive, but put out a heck of a lot of light with very little amp draw.  If I had the $$, I would put more in my unit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top