Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/19/2003 12:26:42 PM EDT
SUCKS!!!!! I hate my fucking truck.. It is a 2001 Z71 OffRoad.. which in itself is a pretty nice ride.  But the rearend sounds like its about to fall off, the driver side door sounds like its gonna fall off also, and the brakes.. HA what brakes.. I hit a car saturday cuz my brakes didn't do shit.. all the way to the metal and my brake fluid is topped off.  Thank the Lord for my brushguard.  Sometimes when I go in reverse and stop and throw it in DRIVE it still goes in reverse or sometimes doesn't do shit.

Also if I put it in reverse, stop, throw it in drive and start to turn the steering wheel makes awful sound.

Don't get me wrong, I like chevy but from 2000 models UP they fucking blow.  I know some of you would kill to have my truck and i'm greatfull to have it but that doesnt mean its still not a total piece of ass.

I took it to the dealer I got it from and they said to look and do all the necessary work would take around 4-6 months.

I'm thinking of trading this piece of shit in on something like a Ford King Ranch F250.  Never been a ford man.. nor a dodge man.  I like the new 2003 dodge 360's with the 20" wheels.

What do all of you think?

Also thinking of a Cadillac CTS.. bitches are bad.

[:D]
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 12:31:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 12:33:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Geta Ford IMO they build a better truck. My friend had a 97 Z71 for 2 mounths and had to spend over 5k worth of repairs the thing just kept tearing up. He finaly sold it and bought a 2002 V10 F350 and has had no problems with it
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 12:33:38 PM EDT
[#3]
verm, my 2001 crew cab 496 hasnt had any problems like you're speaking of...........a little clunk from the transmission when going in gear, but every allison 5 speed that i've seen does that, the tranny is put in up to 2.5 ton trucks after all

what do you mean by the rear end sounds like its gonna fall off?  clanking?  also a new edition problem if you call it that, its just leaf springs clanking together

my brakes are 4 wheel disk and work great at stopping my behemoth, not sure what to tell you about yours

another sounds description i cant help you with

i would NOT ever, under any circumstance, buy a ford gasoline engine, if you go with a ford go ahead and get the powerstroke.  dodge is funny, some of their vehicles are great, some are awful, but every one i've ever messed with has had tranny problems.  i stay with chevrolet because i've never had any real problems with any of mine and i like to maintain my own vehicle, so i like the simplicity of the pushrod 8

good luck
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 12:35:52 PM EDT
[#4]
If you don't like the trans in your chevy, I would steer clear of the Dodge, those things blow up on aregular basis if you are hauling anything at all.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 12:48:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 1:21:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Rearend makes goofy noises when I give it gas or brake and allow gravity to make my truck lean back like a complete stop. I know a girl who drives a 2000 4x4 dodge diesel and just had to get a new tranny.

Tom.. funny you should mention brakes(my truck) AC ( my bro's tahoe) and emblems falling off (work trucks)

To tell you all the truth I dont really want a truck anymore.. I have NO use for one and really need more room.  

Oh yeah.. went up there a few weeks back and a wrecker was bringing in a 2001 Z71 offroad JUST like mine.. dude hit a pothole going around 45 and the wheel broke straight off and rolled past him.  Left rear wheel.. unbelievable.  Time to go test drive some new rides.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 1:32:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I heard that there were some QA issues with the 01' and 02' model year trucks from GM.  My 03' Sierra has been great but only 3800 miles on it so far.  Had it off road it did fine and it gets decent gas milage for a V8(4.8L) with good power.  I like it.  

I like Fords also buth they are pricy.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 1:42:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I too have an 01 Chev Z71 and have a similar rear end noise. Weird clunking noise that goes away when it warms up. Other than that it's been a fine truck. I'm still under warranty and been meaning to have the dealer look at the noise.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 1:47:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Mine is under warranty also but, it's the 4-6 month wait I don't like.. hell they might as well keep it for that long.  Paying payments on a truck that you won't have for half a year.. fuck that.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 1:50:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Hemi power, Hemi power.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 1:54:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Verm, my dad had a Chevy Suburban and he hated that POS. So he went and bought Fords. I drive one too, so does my brother, and the family business owns another 15. You can't go wrong with a Super Duty, they just keep going and going.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 2:17:17 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm a chevy man myself, but I know a guy who also bought a new 01 Z71 and had all sorts of bullshit problems with it the first few months. I couldn't believe it.

I drive a 92 Blazer since it was new and its had some minor problems, nothing unexpected, overall very few problems. And it hasn't had an easy life, it always does what I want it to.

Its now got 198,000 on it. I'm going to drive it til it dies.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 3:35:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If you don't like the trans in your chevy, I would steer clear of the Dodge, those things blow up on aregular basis if you are hauling anything at all.
View Quote

I was driving a 98 Ram when I was a delivery man and that damn thing caught on fire and burned to the ground and almost took me with it.  No crash, no nothing.  Just driving down the road going 45 and then alot of smoke.
Haven't got in a Dodge since and have no plans in the future.

Keving67
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 3:53:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Sounds like a loose nut behind the wheel. I highly doubt that *YOU* will be happy with any vehicle you get. ;)
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 4:18:40 PM EDT
[#15]
208,000 miles on my chevy z71, with no major problems. Same engine, Same transmission. Hopefully it will turn over 300,000 before it dies.
I like to get the good out of any vehicle i own.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 4:20:35 PM EDT
[#16]
trucks, the only real one is [b]Dodge[/b]
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 4:37:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Heres my 2002 Chevy Silverado 4x4. No problems at all in the 10,025 miles on it[:D]
[img]http://www.digitalpose.com/mbr/1/18080/p/324097_3442181374245215852_vl.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 7:41:38 PM EDT
[#18]
My '94 Chevy has 119K and runs fine.  The bed is scratched up because it works.  Keep on truckin' Take care of them and they (Ford, Chevy, & Maybe Dodge will live longer!)

steady
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 7:57:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

I hope not! Ill be pulling this heavy-ass camper across the country with my little Dakota over memorial weekend. I have'nt pulled much besides a small flat bed trailer with it yet. But, it had to work to get that camper home.
Well, it is under warrenty.
I've always been a Ford truck guy.
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=12259[/img]
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 8:05:38 PM EDT
[#20]

I bought my 2002 Chevy Z-71 last June and havent had one problem...

Hopefully it will stay that way.

Link Posted: 5/19/2003 8:09:23 PM EDT
[#21]
My 2001 Z-71 has almost 37k on it with almost no problems besides a slight squeak in the brakes when i first start off in the morning. Besides that, no other problems.

But like many others, my next will be a F350.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 8:09:37 PM EDT
[#22]
95 Z71 350 with 101K.  Only part that's failed is a throttle position sensor.  I was in Wyoming over the 4th of July holiday and couldn't get it fixed so I drove back to CA before I took it in.  The rough shifting  indirectly caused a little clunk in the differential sometimes when it downshifts as you stop. Other than that I've been pretty happy.  Wiper motor went out too but that was fixed under extended "good will" warranty.

Guy that detailed it once said the paint was pretty thin in some spots.  

I plan on it going 200K before I get something new.  It might not be our vacation vehicle much longer but it's been as reliable as I could expect.

This car doesn't tow anything and doesn't go off road except on trips.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 8:20:18 PM EDT
[#23]
My '99 Silverado Z71 has 120k on it.  I run it to the ground.....I change the oil every 12k never change the transimission fluid though I have changed the spark plugs and breaks.  But still tough and still going.  Will drive it till it dies...then put it on life support and drive it till the wheels come off.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 8:31:31 PM EDT
[#24]
What do you use the truck for? If you don't haul much a 3/4 ton or up may be a bit much, but the half tons are pretty watered down anymore.  My vote is for an F250, any year, you can't beat them to death. These trucks are made with brakes that are bigger than a half ton for stopping a loaded truck, so they have plenty of braking power in reserve. Also if other drivers tend to run into you like they do me, the heavier vehicle comes out a lot better than a car or smaller truck. Your fustrated at the transmission. I know what you mean, no one makes a really good automatic anymore. I go for a manual in a truck. The new super duty is a tank. Much heavier chassis than a compareable GM, dodge is second, but they have other issues.  Look at your local utlity companies, gas and oil well services, any place that has a lot of pickups, they usually use a lot of fords, especially if they use their trucks in rough terrain. The 87- current gm design front axle on the 4x4's won't take the abuse of running in mud. I have heard several fleet operators cuss them. I know a few that are using the super duty exclusively now and they love them. One told me they had a 2001 with a 100,000 on it now which was used in mud almost daily, the only thing done to it was wheel bearings at almost 100,000.  I warn you though, if you are used to a half ton, you will think a 3/4 rides like a stagecoach and drinks fuel like its free (true of even the smaller enginer because of the extra weight). Then you get used to it and won't want anything else because of the other advantages. Any vehicle worth owning uses a lot of fuel.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 10:04:49 PM EDT
[#25]
A guy I work with is a big Chevy fan and a car nut in general. He collects Vettes and had built mustang and Camaro drag cars in the past.  He got a 2002 silverado 1500 and hated it.  Sold it and got a 2003 F-150 FX4 and loves it.  He will never buy another chevy truck.  I am driving a '03 silverado 4x4 now because some ass pulled out in front of me and my once pristine '91 f-150 is getting fixed.  I keep thinking about selling it and getting a 1999 or 2000 but still runs great and I own it, so what's the point.  Sorry you don't like your Chevy, but I think you are on the right track with the King Ranch.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 10:16:41 PM EDT
[#26]
I thought only the F-150 came in the King Ranch.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 1:00:31 AM EDT
[#27]
First off, Vermilion - good luck with your Chevy - hope all ends well.

I just sold a 97 Dakota - drove it hard, but maintained it.  318 with a 5 speed.  Replaced only the water pump over 100,000 miles.

Got an 03 Dodge 1500 QC 4x4 Hemi.  Love it - I mean LOVE IT!

Dodge has had problems with their auto trannies in the past (screwed up the 727 when they put in overdrive).  Their manual trannys are/were great.  My truck has a completely new design auto trans - we'll see how she does.

Dodge trucks weren't known for strong brakes either - they sure as hell fixed that.  Check out the size of the rotors and calipers front AND rear on the 02 and up Dodges - even the half tons.  Some aftermarket *17* inch wheels won't fit because the brake calipers hit the wheel!  They're huge and they work very, very well.

The 345 Hemi rocks.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 2:10:59 AM EDT
[#28]
I don't use my truck's bed at all.  Maybe once in a blue moon.  Like yesterday.. the grass was real high whilst shooting.. so I shot from the bed.  But thats about it.  

Tate the 03 Hemi is a 5.7 while the 360 is a 5.9.. Does the Hemi smoke the 5.9?  Buddy of mine swears by his 5.9 and thinks that just because it had bigger numbers thinks it goes faster and makes more noise.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 4:30:16 AM EDT
[#29]
Vermilion; Man, I hate to say this but your dealer is screwing you, big time! There is NOTHING on that truck that they can 'look at' for 4-6 months. He's just jerking you around in hopes that you'll go away. If you're still under warrenty (you are, right?), then tell him it's time to get the district rep involved. If they can't find and fix your problem, ASAP, you need them to either buy the vehicle back from you or give you a new one...no other option is acceptable. He knows he's got a lemon sitting in your driveway and is desperately hoping you aren't willing to press the issue. Start making phone calls, start with the district rep and go up from there..it may take some work to find the right numbers but with the internet, it can be done.

I may not be too fond of GM vehicles but it's inexcusible for them to treat a customer this way. GM wonders why they lose customers. If nothing else, PLEASE read up on the lemon laws in your state, you almost certainly have more legal recourse than you think you do. I sincerly wish you the best of luck in this.

For what it's worth, I've been very happy with my '03 V8 Tundra.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 5:16:24 AM EDT
[#30]
My folks got my bro a camaro a few years back.. and it went thru 5 starters in like 3-4 months.  The dealer wouldn't take it back nor give us a new one.. so we sued him.  We found out he was selling lemons and was sued by about 15 other people.. now his tahoe AC is fucking up and this is the 4th time his is in their shop.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 6:05:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
SUCKS!!!!! I hate my fucking truck.. It is a 2001 Z71 OffRoad.. which in itself is a pretty nice ride.  But the rearend sounds like its about to fall off, the driver side door sounds like its gonna fall off also, and the brakes.. HA what brakes.. I hit a car saturday cuz my brakes didn't do shit.. all the way to the metal and my brake fluid is topped off.  Thank the Lord for my brushguard.  Sometimes when I go in reverse and stop and throw it in DRIVE it still goes in reverse or sometimes doesn't do shit.

Also if I put it in reverse, stop, throw it in drive and start to turn the steering wheel makes awful sound.

Don't get me wrong, I like chevy but from 2000 models UP they fucking blow.  I know some of you would kill to have my truck and i'm greatfull to have it but that doesnt mean its still not a total piece of ass.

I took it to the dealer I got it from and they said to look and do all the necessary work would take around 4-6 months.

I'm thinking of trading this piece of shit in on something like a Ford King Ranch F250.  Never been a ford man.. nor a dodge man.  I like the new 2003 dodge 360's with the 20" wheels.

What do all of you think?

Also thinking of a Cadillac CTS.. bitches are bad.

[:D]
View Quote

I had a 2001 3/4 ton chevy. The Rear end cratered with 818 miles on the speedo. My chevy Dealer tried to tell me that the rear ends only came with 600 miles worth of warranty. When I got done with this ASS[:o)] I got a complete refund on the truck. I have been driving FORDS ever since. Never had any trouble except that they LOVE GASLOINE.

As far as 4 wheel drives go, Get you an Old Truck. Something with a solid front axle. They are tough as hell. I have an old ford. And I aint afraid to scratch it up either. My 4wd gets 6 MPH on the highway...
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 10:29:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Good timing on this thread. I posted a couple weeks back about possibly needing an expensive brake job for my 2001 Z71 K1500. 28,000 miles on the odometer, and if other guys with similar vintage bowties were having any problems.

When having my truck serviced and the tires rotated at my local shop, I asked them to visually inspect the brakes, as they had mentioned they might need service during an earlier inspection. The shop recommended a complete brake job, front and rear, citing corrosion and pitting. Cost ~$800. Still lots of pads left. I was not amused.

In fairness, they did recommend going to a Chevy dealer, which is what I did (today, actually). Essentially, the rear brakes still have pads, but rotors/drums are badly pitted/corroded. In their estimation, the front brakes are fine with ~20,000 miles left on the pads. Some cosmetic rust on the rotors.

GM will replace all but the rear pads for me under warranty, including labor. I have to pay for the pads only. ~$50+ tax. This is a hell of a cry from an $800 brake job. I look forward to chatting with my local shop. The chevy service manager said that if paying retail and replacing everything, $800 was in the ballpark .

SO, the take home message. If any of you guys have newer chevys in a northern climate with lots of road salt, better check your brakes.

All in all, I've had my truck for over 2 years with only 1 minor problem with the driver side power window, which was fixed in an hour under warranty at the same dealer. I do like the truck and was quite happy with it until I heard $800 and brake job in the same sentence[:D]
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 11:49:02 AM EDT
[#33]
Just rembered. The only problem I've had with my 2002 Silverado is wind whistles in at where the front and back door come together. I'm gonna have to have that looked at one of these days.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 12:28:37 PM EDT
[#34]
My truck has 30,330 miles on it and i've had to have work on the driver side window 3 times because it just "quit" going up and down.  My passenger door will not shut unless you slam it.. and I mean SLAMMING.. which broke the glass one time cause my buddy shut it with the window down. [:(] I'm going to take my POS to my dealer and tell them to visually inspect the brakes WHILE i'm there.  

Lets see what other minor things are bad on mine.

When I open the driver door it squeaks pretty bad.. like a very old car door would do.

I have bad whistling in my cab also.  Along the top right of my windshield.  

Well off to the dealer to see what the fuk is up.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 12:29:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Boomholzer - New for 2003 is the King Ranch in the F-250 but the new 6.0 Diesel they have has some bad problems according to a guy who I work with.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 9:41:06 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
My passenger door will not shut unless you slam it.. and I mean SLAMMING.. which broke the glass one time cause my buddy shut it with the window down. [:(] I'm going to take my POS to my dealer and tell them to visually inspect the brakes WHILE i'm there.  

When I open the driver door it squeaks pretty bad.. like a very old car door would do.

View Quote

I factory-ordered a 1995 Dakota 4x4 which needed to have the DS door realigned. Difficult to close. You could actually see where the door was impacting the upper cab frame improperly. Sounds like your doors are also improperly aligned. Most likely accounts for your wind noise. Should be an easy fix.

As for the sqeaking, a little white lithium grease should help.

I picked up my truck yesterday after work.

My local dealer also turned my front rotors, and readjusted/lubed them. They estimated 20K worth of mileage left on the front pads. The rear brakes were completely rebuilt. I paid for new pads. Total cost was $55. I am still surprised Chevy covered this, and quite glad I was polite when initially discussing the situation with the service manager. (because I was a bit steamed[:D])
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 9:42:52 AM EDT
[#37]
Vermillion, don't be afraid to take your truck to another Chevy dealer. You might find one with better service. I didn't buy my truck from the dealership which so far has given me very good shop treatment. I will strongly consider them in the future.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 10:14:21 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
My truck has 30,330 miles on it and i've had to have work on the driver side window 3 times because it just "quit" going up and down.  My passenger door will not shut unless you slam it.. and I mean SLAMMING.. which broke the glass one time cause my buddy shut it with the window down. [:(] I'm going to take my POS to my dealer and tell them to visually inspect the brakes WHILE i'm there.  

Lets see what other minor things are bad on mine.

Well off to the dealer to see what the fuk is up.
View Quote

The door pins have bushings around them, when these bushings go bad, you will get air leaks and water leaks because the door gets out of alignment.. once replaced, make sure you keep them lubricated.  
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 12:16:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Nah.. this happened the first day I bought it and it still does it 2 years later.. the Chevy dealer said they just needed to be "broken in" and I think it has had plenty of opening and shuting to break it in.  

I think i'm about to trade it in on a 2003 Cadillac CTS .. Black/ gray/black interior/luxury sport package with XM radio.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 12:45:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Boomholzer - New for 2003 is the King Ranch in the F-250 but the new 6.0 Diesel they have has some bad problems according to a guy who I work with.
View Quote

We have one of those. It works fine. Some have had some trouble, but they can swap out the bad parts for the upgrades if you leave it overnight.

My brother was rear ended yesterday in his 3/4 ton Ford. 95 Saturn had $2500 damage, he needs a new tow package. Thats why my family drives trucks.

My V-8 Ford LOVES gas. 12-14 mpg. I dont really complain, I just wish I had the one that loves diesel.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 1:13:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Another Chevrolet Silverado owner here:

[img]http://www.fototime.com/{3342A6FA-87A8-431F-B014-3DAAB0D4F481}/picture.JPG[/img]

[img]http://www.fototime.com/{9D31C516-2537-4128-8BCC-6795C117D8CF}/picture.JPG[/img]

2003 Silverado 1500 regular cab sportside. It's got the 5.3L V8, LS trim package, Z71 & offroad package. Got it new, have 8900 miles on it now. Had one minor problem with the 4WD that a computer flash upgrade fixed. I like the ride & looks MUCH better than the Fords I looked at. I've never had much luck with quality on Ford products either.  
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 1:25:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
My V-8 Ford LOVES gas. 12-14 mpg. I dont really complain, I just wish I had the one that loves diesel.
View Quote

Thats what my little 4x4 Dakota AWD gets for gas milage.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top