Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2006 12:59:14 PM EDT
This is guy has to be a true gentleman from the old school. He is apologizing for being in the wrong place at the wrong time.   I dont think you would see this kind of friendship and loyalty among the DU crowd.  I doubt they can even comprehend Whittington's thoughts and words.

Cheney Shooting Victim Heads Home
By LYNN BREZOSKY, AP

CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas (Feb. 17) - The lawyer shot by Vice President Dick Cheney during a hunting trip was being discharged from a hospital Friday and told reporters he was deeply sorry for all the trouble Cheney had faced over the past week.

Cheney, speaking to the Wyoming Legislature on Friday, also alluded to the shooting as he thanked lawmakers for their half-minute standing ovation, saying the warm greeting was especially welcome "when you've had a very long week."

"Thankfully, Harry Whittington is on the mend and doing well," Cheney said.

In Texas, Whittington wore a suit and tie as he gave his brief statement outside the hospital. His voice was a bit raspy, but strong, and he had what appeared to be a line of cuts on his upper right eyelid and scrapes on his neck.

"We all assume certain risks in what we do, in what activities we pursue," the 78-year-old Austin attorney said. "Accidents do and will happen."

Whittington was hit in the face, neck and chest with birdshot Saturday during a hunting trip at a South Texas ranch. He had been listed in stable condition in a Corpus Christi hospital since suffering a mild heart attack Tuesday after a shotgun pellet traveled to his heart.

"My family and I are deeply sorry for everything Vice President Cheney and his family have had to deal with."
-- Harry Whittington  

Cheney took full blame for the shooting in an interview Wednesday with Fox News, his first public comments on what happened that day.

"I'm the guy who pulled the trigger and shot my friend," Cheney said in the interview. He said it was "one of the worst days of my life."

Dr. David Blanchard, chief of emergency care at Christus Spohn Hospital Corpus Christi-Memorial, said Whittington will go home Friday because of "his excellent health," but Blanchard added that "he is not 100 percent."

During his statement, Whittington said the past weekend involved "a cloud of misfortune and sadness that is not easy to explain, especially with those who are not familiar with the great sport of quail hunting."

He said he sent his love and respect to Cheney and his family.

"My family and I are deeply sorry for everything Vice President Cheney and his family have had to deal with," he said. "We hope that he will continue to come and seek the relaxation that he deserves."

The Kenedy County Sheriff's Department closed its investigation of the shooting on Thursday without filing any charges. The department released an incident report that supported accounts from the ranch owner and Cheney.

Cheney told an investigator that he did not see Whittington while aiming for a bird. Whittington "explained foremost there was no alcohol during the hunt and everyone was wearing the proper hunting attire of blaze orange," Chief Deputy Gilberto San Miguel Jr. wrote.

Associated Press Writer Ben Neary in Cheyenne, Wyo., contributed to this report.

02/17/06 14:40 EST
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:00:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Pretty cool.  I bet he and Dick go way back...
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:02:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I would certainly love to hunt quail with either or both of them.

Dick Cheney is one of my favorite heros.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:03:37 PM EDT
[#3]
DU is going to claim Cheney's making him say what he did.

Personally I think BOTH he and Cheney are a class act....something a Liberal would have no idea about....
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:04:17 PM EDT
[#4]
A gentleman from the old school, no doubt about that.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:05:23 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I would certainly love to hunt quail with either or both of them.

Dick Cheney is one of my favorite heros.

+1
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:07:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Its a matter of accepting ones personal responsibility. Some guys do, some guys dont.
When shit happens, pointed fingers and excuses do nothing. Rather than looking for a person to blame, sometimes people can solve problems by looking in the mirror
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:07:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I dont think the media realizes the love and admiration that the red states have for Cheney and GWB.  They are always in the blue states with people protesting and following the whats her name yapping against the war.

But of course only one side is mentioned or given air time.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:31:07 PM EDT
[#8]
    With 24 hour news channels out there, and lots of dorky news people trying to make a name for their resume, most news is manufactured or created by these reporter/writer/story-tellers. Besides their hatred for Bush, this sad story has really been about trying to make a story about nothing. The bloggers have Cheney drunk or having an affair or sending messages.... None of this would have happened before 24 hour news channels. Thank goodness this poor man has the dignity not to fall to their level by lashing out at them for being such assholes about this incident. Some reporter will find a few words from this response to the news that will then be turned into a major incident. It is really sad what has happened to the news. 24 hour news has been a leading factor in the degeneration of our country.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 2:15:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I have the greatest respect for Cheney and it looks like I am going to have to add Whittington to my very very short list of attorneys I respect.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 2:23:42 PM EDT
[#10]
not only did he apologize and act like a gentleman, he ripped into the press in a way that made him look like he was just being a kind old man. Must have flown over the heads of every presstitute in DC.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top