Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/2/2006 12:44:48 PM EDT
I commission on or around Christmas of this year. and today I recievied my branch.  I was branched Chemical corps.  I'm a military history major, so to say i'm in strange waters is an understatement.  I had really hoped to get a Combat branch.  My first choice was Armor.  But the army decided my skills would best serve in another area.  I'll do my very best to complete the job at hand.  

My question is, I know next to nothing about the Chem Corps.  What are good jobs to try and get?  Any advice or expierence you can lend would be very much appreciated.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 4:06:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Nobody knows anything about the Chem Corps?
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 4:16:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a friend here who is (was, really) a Chem officer - I'll ask him tomorrow if he has any specific advice.

In the mean time, my advice is to fight to get assigned to a Chemical unit (as in company assigned to an actual maneuver unit, Division size or smaller).

You will be a platoon leader - and have a doctrinal smoke, recon,, or decon mission all the while actually training as any number of things.  A chemical platoon in a non-demand environment is a very versatile tool.  Chem guys in my last unit ran our internment facility and provided FOX's as extra armor when needed on patrols.  They also ran one smoke mission in town - it was a jump though your ass tasking in an attempt to support an ongoing bad situation.

DO NOT LET YOURSELF GET STUCK IN A STAFF.  The chemical officer is the de facto staff bitch.  You will learn to hate the term "USR."
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 4:32:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the help.   I looked up some info on the Fox Plts, and being a PL for one of those looks pretty interesting.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 4:37:30 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
DO NOT LET YOURSELF GET STUCK IN A STAFF.  The chemical officer is the de facto staff bitch.  You will learn to hate the term "USR."

Truer words have not been spoken in a long time!

Start working now to get PSYOP as your functional area.

Link Posted: 11/2/2006 4:39:31 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

How is that working now that PSYOP and CA are their own branches - or has that not happened yet?

Link Posted: 11/2/2006 5:01:15 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How is that working now that PSYOP and CA are their own branches - or has that not happened yet?

Im out of the loop on that, but the way I understand it (and I could be totally wrong), you still have to apply for it, and end up going to the course after getting BQ'd as a Captain, IE after company command.

The reserve side I dont know about.

You simply cant do the mission of a Psyop Officer as an LT, and Cpt is still kinda low.  The level of folks that you have to interact with as a Psyop Officer really requires that you be Field Grade.

As a Buck Sgt with long hair and Civ Clothing, I was briefing the Chief of Staff of the Venezuelan Army to get his approval on a Combined Psyop Campaign.  We had a serious shortage of officers back then and the mission fell to me to deply as the OIC of a mission.  Im quite sure that the COS knew I was an NCO, but we all played like I was actually a DA Civillian.  Everything went great, but that was really a mission for an O5 not an E5

Link Posted: 11/2/2006 5:09:16 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Im out of the loop on that, but the way I understand it (and I could be totally wrong), you still have to apply for it, and end up going to the course after getting BQ'd as a Captain, IE after company command.

The reserve side I dont know about.

You simply cant do the mission of a Psyop Officer as an LT, and Cpt is still kinda low.  The level of folks that you have to interact with as a Psyop Officer really requires that you be Field Grade.

As a Buck Sgt with long hair and Civ Clothing, I was briefing the Chief of Staff of the Venezuelan Army to get his approval on a Combined Psyop Campaign.  We had a serious shortage of officers back then and the mission fell to me to deply as the OIC of a mission.  Im quite sure that the COS knew I was an NCO, but we all played like I was actually a DA Civillian.  Everything went great, but that was really a mission for an O5 not an E5

Interesting - from the sounds of it, it will be similar to the old CFD program, with the only real difference at the operational level being the insignia you wear on your A's.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top