Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2003 5:09:15 AM EDT
I recently bought 6 at the Houston Fun Show. I had been wanting them every since I 1st saw them, but had until recently been short of cash do to lack of work. Well any way I had gotten 2 mags from CavVet with the home made para cord pulls on them. I thought about pulling them off because they just seemed a little cheesy, & then using the cool looking mag pulls when someday I got them. After all, the para cord pulls are just a poor mans mag pull right? NOT! I now have both, & I will be switching my "MAG PULLS" for para cord pulls at the 1st opportunity. I found the mag pulls to make loading a mag harder as they are in the way when doing a mag tap to seat it all the way in. With the para cord pulls this is not a problem in the least. Mag pulls look cool, but for the money & function I will go with para cord from now on. I will probably list my mag pulls on the trading board, because frankly,...I think they suck big time.
Do you like your mag pulls, or have you found para cord pulls to be the real deal too?
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 5:17:33 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I had gotten 2 mags from CavVet with the home made para cord pulls on them. I thought about pulling them off because they just seemed a little cheesy,

Do you like your mag pulls

I do not like paracord enough to provide the cheesy shit on any further mags...
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 5:22:09 AM EDT
[#2]
So ya'll duct-tape your para-cord to the mag, or do you put the knots under the floorplate?
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 5:24:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Oh quite your pouting CavVet! The para pulls rock while the MAG PULLS suck. I'm really glad they were on the mags when I got them, or I would likely never tried them that way my self. Now I want para pulls on all my 30's.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 5:28:01 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
So ya'll duct-tape your para-cord to the mag, or do you put the knots under the floorplate?

The ones I got from CavVet were noted inside. I also like how theu lay down out of the way better than the MAG PULLS. Sometimes simple is way better than fancy schmancy junk.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 5:46:23 AM EDT
[#5]

I have 3 Mag Pulls.  They serve their purpose.

Now why do you have to tap the mag 'to seat it all the way in'.  I have never done that since I load only 28 or 29 rds.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 5:52:36 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I have 3 Mag Pulls.  They serve their purpose.

Now why do you have to tap the mag 'to seat it all the way in'.  I have never done that since I load only 28 or 29 rds.

You should always tap and pull on your mags as  a course of habit..you're going to eventually fight the way you train, and it sure beats having a mag drop out of the well when you need those rounds.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 5:57:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 5:59:38 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't need mag pulls.  All of my mags drop freely when released, and I'm in the habit of tapping them to seat them even if I'm inserting an empty mag.  It's a moment's work and is positive insurance that I'm not going to drop a mag when I need it most.

I don't buy gadgets that don't enhance the simple functionality of my rifles.   My version of "tricked out" is a 4X Colt type short 'scope on a dead stock A2.  Nothing falls off, nothing breaks, and I don't have to spend hours aligning four different scopes, three lights, two IR transceivers, a cell phone, and a GPS unit all attached to my rifle.

Simplicity, and good mags that drop free.  Try it.

CJ
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 6:09:19 AM EDT
[#9]
... For me, they're extra weight and bulk. My mags drop free and I don't ever recall having difficultly retrieving a mag from stores expeditiously without them.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 6:22:06 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I don't need mag pulls.  All of my mags drop freely when released, and I'm in the habit of tapping them to seat them even if I'm inserting an empty mag.  It's a moment's work and is positive insurance that I'm not going to drop a mag when I need it most.

I thought the purpose of the mag pull was to get the mag out of your pouch, not out of the rifle?

I've never used one (and if I did, I'd try the paracord or shoelaces and tape), but I always thought it was to facilitate getting a mag out of a pouch that had two other mags in there, and might make it dififcult to get a good grip.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 6:23:14 AM EDT
[#11]
I too got a couple of mags with para-cord from Cav-vet in a trade for a M-65 jacket-(hows that jacket BTW?)...

After using the para-cord ones I ditched my Mag-puls...
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 6:25:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 6:34:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Another dissatisfied Mag-pull owner.  They are overly cumbersome.  I will try the para method shortly.  Which one is "better".....the knot method or the tape method??
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 6:42:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Whatever you use, the function of it is not to get the mag out of the gun, it's to get it out of the pouch.  Specifically the USGI 3 mag pouches, which cover up basically the entire magazine, leaving very little to grab onto to retrieve the mag.
An added benefit, albeit a noisey one, is that you can keep your spare mags with you by keeping a d-ring on your belt and putting the paracord loop from the mag onto the d-ring when it's empty.  This would be in lieu of dumping empty mags down the shirtfront.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 9:47:26 AM EDT
[#15]
I've used knotted and gutted paracord for years on my 30 rounders... I even use it on my M14 mags.

The new way of taping it to the mag I don't understand...  I've always made a round loop and pushed the mag bottom plate over it, leaving the knot inside.

Not bulky, no tape residue, and easy to remove if necessary.

Link Posted: 8/28/2003 12:22:26 PM EDT
[#16]
I don't understand why someone would want to tape them on & make the mag look messy, as wall as make it a sand & dirt attractant because of exposed edges on the tape. Especially when the not method works so well.
So anyone out there tape theirs, & how do you like the tape method?
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 12:43:22 PM EDT
[#17]
With the mag pull installed, the mag tends to cling to the pouch as I extract it.  It is like having rubber grips on a ccw - bad idea since it clings to your clothes, etc.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 6:15:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Sine I heard more than one chorus of 'For he's a jolly good fellow' <bows for appluase>, I will continue to install the cheesy shits on all future mags...

For the record, buy a $40-60 lifetime roll of paracord and get it over with. I got mine for 40, and I have damn near paracorded everything I own.

IMHO, it is on my mags to aid in extraction of loaded mags from the mag pouch, upside down. If emptys are returned, they are follower side up.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 6:19:35 PM EDT
[#19]
LOL, I was at the fun show the day you bought it. That WAS a lifetime supply.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 6:49:58 PM EDT
[#20]
I've never actually used a GI 3 mag pouch at the range.   I carry a dozen mags in a GI binoculars case instead, and it's easy to grab a mag out of that.  Makes for a day's shooting in a conveniently sized pouch, too.

CJ
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 7:05:23 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I've never actually used a GI 3 mag pouch at the range.   I carry a dozen mags in a GI binoculars case instead, and it's easy to grab a mag out of that.  Makes for a day's shooting in a conveniently sized pouch, too.

CJ

Those of us that shoot in action shoots, that require mag changes and reloads while on the move, you're going to have to have a mag pouch on your person, and you're going to have to reload from that pouch.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 7:11:18 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I don't buy gadgets that don't enhance the simple functionality of my rifles.   My version of "tricked out" is a 4X Colt type short 'scope on a dead stock A2.  Nothing falls off, nothing breaks, and I don't have to spend hours aligning four different scopes, three lights, two IR transceivers, a cell phone, and a GPS unit all attached to my rifle.

Simplicity, and good mags that drop free.  Try it.

CJ

Amen, CJ!
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 7:35:33 PM EDT
[#23]
How long of a loop do you guys use?

I have a 2 inch loop on my mags made from an 8inch piece of gutted paracord. I have a few with 3 inch loops but they seem a little long.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 8:19:05 PM EDT
[#24]
I don't know about tape for securing the paracord, but a wrap or two of duct tape on the bottom of a USGI 30 seems to muffle the rattle a bit.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 8:35:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Pics for the newbies,perhaps?
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 8:47:29 PM EDT
[#26]
I use paracord because I have a had enough time paying for the Mag

I also use the knot in the floorplate method as I am not able to find any OD 100 MPH tape locally (they can get pink, but not green).

Here is a TIP for my brother paracord users

After the paracord has been gutted, Cut a piece of a "Zip-Tie" to fit inside the cord, Then put it in the cord to replace the strings that were inside. Then attach the cord to the mag as you normally would.

This will allow you to put it in a mag pouch, close it easily, and then still have the loop pop up when the lid is opened. Makes it much easier to pull out if you dont have to dig to get the loop.

Just a tip I thought I would pass along
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 8:48:20 PM EDT
[#27]
I've heard that the paracord loops can sometimes pull the floor plate off the mags, possiby dumping the contents of the mag out the bottom.

Anybody had any problems with that?
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 8:56:32 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Makes it much easier to pull out if you dont have to did got the loop.

What the hell did you just say?

I used to post and not proof mine too. Wow, I had to stop that!

Seriously, I dont gut mine, I leave them whole. I have seen gutted and flat, didnt like those. And the wire tie inside seems almost as thick IMHO, and a little to rigid for me. I like it as issued.

While I have heard they can pull the floorplate off, I have paracorded a 1000 mags easy, and have not had it happen...yet. YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 9:04:56 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Makes it much easier to pull out if you dont have to did got the loop.

What the hell did you just say?

I used to post and not proof mine too. Wow, I had to stop that!

Ok, I edited mine. Now, can you change yours so I don't look like a dumb ass? LOL

But, its late here, my eyes are starting to get a little blury, and spell checker doesn't like AOL.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 10:35:23 PM EDT
[#30]
we used to do this in my unit as well. we would have a carrabeaner ( the hook clamp thing climbers use ) on our belt, and when your done with the mag instead of messing with your pouches just clip it on your belt through the loop. yes it's noisey if you run but if your shooting up them mags, that noise won't matter much. Then you got all your mags hanging on your belt ready to reload.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 6:54:06 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
we used to do this in my unit as well. we would have a carrabeaner ( the hook clamp thing climbers use ) on our belt, and when your done with the mag instead of messing with your pouches just clip it on your belt through the loop. yes it's noisey if you run but if your shooting up them mags, that noise won't matter much. Then you got all your mags hanging on your belt ready to reload.

That's exactly what I'm getting at.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 7:08:32 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Pics for the newbies,perhaps?

patriotnetwork.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5737

As pictures show, you simply take 550 paracord and you remove the inner strands and only use the outer shell. You then cut it into 6 inch lengths. You melt the ends a bit to keep from fraying and then put a tight knot in each end (a pair of needle nose pliers helps in this when grabbing the short end).

You then slide back the magazine floorplate and put the cord in so that the flat cord protrudes between the side of the floorplate and the mag body. The knots will keep the loop in place and will not interfere with the functioning of the magazine.

IMHO, these homemade mag pulls work way better than the commercial ones. They are very strong and if done properly do not come out.

For instance, they are strong enough and stay in place well enough to reliably clip and carry a fully loaded magazine to the carabiner on your gear. This comes in handy when you need to carry an unloaded weapon without the mag in it so you need a place to put the extra loaded mag and keep it handy. This also comes in handy for storing your gear when not in use with the extra mag attached to your gear so there is no doubt as to it's location during the rush of an emergency.

Link Posted: 8/29/2003 7:52:34 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I've heard that the paracord loops can sometimes pull the floor plate off the mags, possiby dumping the contents of the mag out the bottom.

Anybody had any problems with that?

I've never seen this happen, even under the most extreme field conditions.  I'm sure it could happen, just like I'm sure you could break your M16/M4 by smashing it against a tree.  It doesn't mean it's GOING to happen.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 7:58:59 AM EDT
[#34]
Tape can keep noise and shine under control.  Also, you never know when you need 100 MPH tape.  Worse comes to worse, pull tape off your mag for immediate fix and then reinstall later.
Also, several wraps of 100 MPH tape around your canteens works well.
550 cord wrapped around the ruck frame.  (Not sure if that works with the molle rucks.  I doubt it)
Agree with CAVVet, don't gut.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 9:28:03 AM EDT
[#35]
I used to just knot a loop large enough to get a gloved finger through the loop and tie it through the hole on the floor plate.  Some like it around the width of the plate.  Either way works.  I didn't gut the 550, but did burn the ends to prevent any fraying.

Just my .02
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 10:08:17 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 11:51:54 AM EDT
[#37]
I was not saying that magpulls are worthless or anything else like that.

I appologize if I came off that way.

There are many perfectly good reasons to own magpuls, and I would love to have the oportunity to try some out some day, but for the type of shooting I do (mainly at the range), I dont think it would be of much benefit to me (I know, they are only like two bucks, but add shipping on that and that can get to be a lot of money to a high schooler!)

I can definatley see the need for them for the more "high speed" individuals, especially those in the LE field, so they dont drop haf full mags on bare cement, and having different colored ones to ID ammo in mags for training use. And so on and so forth.

You definatley have a good product and don't let some of the things a few people are saying get you discuraged. The sales speek for themselves.

Link Posted: 8/29/2003 12:45:53 PM EDT
[#38]
I would love to have the 28 pg book on what mag pulls are all about. It might give me a different view of the product. I will hold on to mine until I have had a chance to read the book, & I sent you an IM with the pertinent info. Thanks for replying to my post, I look forward to hearing from you with the book.
I was not trying to imply that mag pulls are junk, or useless. Just that for the money, I prefer the para cord pulls, & that  the mag pulls do make setting the mag harder to do.
I'm sure it has it's place, so I'll wait for the booklet to show up.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 8:30:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Yepper same here 550 cord rocks!! 550 cord is cheap/free and funtional why change??I took some magpulls to Afgan but the they wouldnt fit in the new molle vest ammo pockets. I see your points and they do look cool for the range etc but I have been using 550 cord for 12 yrs maybe one day i'll change who knows.
         FREE

Quoted:
I've used knotted and gutted paracord for years on my 30 rounders... I even use it on my M14 mags.

The new way of taping it to the mag I don't understand...  I've always made a round loop and pushed the mag bottom plate over it, leaving the knot inside.

Not bulky, no tape residue, and easy to remove if necessary.

Link Posted: 11/20/2003 2:12:20 AM EDT
[#40]
Cheese is good, & MAG PULLS suck

I like polls!
I like pie!

Link Posted: 11/20/2003 4:22:12 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
... For me, they're extra weight and bulk. My mags drop free and I don't ever recall having difficultly retrieving a mag from stores expeditiously without them.

OH, come on!!!!!

Magpuls weigh next to nothing.  "extra weight and bulk".... if you can really feel the weight difference I would be shocked and amazed.

Link Posted: 11/20/2003 1:29:59 PM EDT
[#42]
I was talking  to one of my tactical instructors and asked him which he preferred. He said, "Whay the hell would I want to put something on my rifle that could snag something?"
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 2:01:07 PM EDT
[#43]
How exactly is a tiny loop of 550 going to snag something?  Next, something small enough to actually snag in the tiny loop of 550 cord wouldn't be strong enough (in most cases) that you'd even notice, unless you managed to catch a piece of rebar or a car antenna with it.

Trust me, for getting the things out of pouches with or without gloves on, the little loops are invaluable.  I did a lot of time in the field, if an idea didn't work, I didn't use it long.  I think that there are others here that might agree.

JMHO
YMMV
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 2:11:17 PM EDT
[#44]
I received the booklet from MAGPUL a long time ago & did a post on it.
After reading the booklet I understood the purpose & thought on the Magpuls to a much greater degree. I have a new appreciation for the product.
For instance, it is designed to fit in the standard military mag pouches.
Come in about 15 colors for color coding different ammo types, & ussages. Just to name a couple of things.
I will be keeping my MAGPUL's, but I will use para cord as well.
I think they both have their place in the sun, & both have thier plus's, & minus's.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top