Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2004 7:58:40 PM EDT
The winds from Ivan are kicking up pretty bad. Look like the eye will make landfall in an hour or two. I am one of the fortunate one's who still has power and phone right now (knock on wood). We still have a long nite ahead of us.

Also, these ridge vent that I let my roofer talk me into really suck. I have water blowing in under them in several places. It's not enough to do any major damage, but if you are in hurricane land, I strongly recomend another type of vent.

Good luck to all! Stay on high ground.

Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:00:17 PM EDT
[#1]
If you are reatreating to Houston I have 2 extra bedrooms for anyone who needs it.  Hotels are maxed out and you can save some cash!
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:01:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I live in western Colorado....is that high enough ground?  
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:03:41 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I live in western Colorado....is that high enough ground?  

If not were all in sheep dip!
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:05:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Good Luck!!

My grandparents live in Linden, AL which is near Demopolis.  They eye is supposed to hit them at some point.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:11:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Mobile is a great city. I hope Ivan is kind. Good luck down there. I'm curious to see what happens to the planes down by The USS Alabama.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:11:56 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
If you are reatreating to Houston I have 2 extra bedrooms for anyone who needs it.  Hotels are maxed out and you can save some cash!

No retreating now. We're pretty much in the thick of it with a mandatory curfew. Appreciate it though.

Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:15:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Waiting here in Birmingham.....  Shouldn't be too bad. If you need anything, just ask -
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:17:40 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No retreating now. We're pretty much in the thick of it with a mandatory curfew. Appreciate it though.

www2.freepichosting.com/Images/421496868/5.jpg

Hope you guys fare well..That's a nasty looking storm.  Good luck ya'll
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:19:13 PM EDT
[#9]
How's downtown?

I went to ASMS down on Dauphin St. back in '98 to 2000. I hope the city pulls through okay. I love that town.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:24:37 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www2.freepichosting.com/Images/421496868/5.jpg

Holy smokes!  Lock 'er up tight, buddy!  Good luck!

Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:27:41 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
How's downtown?

I went to ASMS down on Dauphin St. back in '98 to 2000. I hope the city pulls through okay. I love that town.

Not bad. All of the bars there come and go. They'll pop up and be fun for about a year, then they close down. Give them a month and the same bar will open up with another name. Usually a fun time. I don't get to go down there too much since we had our little girl. The night life changed just a bit! Not a bad town to live in though. Just a short jog to several cool places/towns.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:34:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Hunker Down--Best of Luck
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:35:37 PM EDT
[#13]
I saw where the staff of the U.S.S. Alabama were going to ride the storm out onboard the ship.  I bet they'll have an interesting night.

Good luck and stay safe.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:37:18 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I saw where the staff of the U.S.S. Alabama were going to ride the storm out onboard the ship.  I bet they'll have an interesting night.

Good luck and stay safe.

incredible. id love to hear some details about that.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:39:04 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good luck and stay safe.

Probably one of the safest places in town
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:40:49 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good luck and stay safe.

Probably one of the safest places in town

I imagine so.  They should be perfectly safe.  I bet it will still be loud and scary, though.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:43:49 PM EDT
[#17]
During one of the last hurricanes, there was a couple of guys who rode out the storm in one of the bunkers at Fort Morgan in Gulf Shores. If it's been here since the civil war, I guess it's not going anywhere now. Just watch for rising water.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:44:14 PM EDT
[#18]
I honestly know how you feel right now. I am praying for your safety now. If you have to, go to a room with no vents or windows.
If you have to move to upper floors to avoid flooding, bring tools to cut thru the roof. Seriously.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:50:43 PM EDT
[#19]
im hanging out with you folks for a while..or at least until you lose power...  

looks like it'll be coming ashore just west of pensacola within next hour or so.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:57:44 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Not bad. All of the bars there come and go. They'll pop up and be fun for about a year, then they close down. Give them a month and the same bar will open up with another name. Usually a fun time. I don't get to go down there too much since we had our little girl. The night life changed just a bit! Not a bad town to live in though. Just a short jog to several cool places/towns.

You ever go to some place called "The Bicycle Shop"?

My friends say they've got Yuengling on tap and claim it's a reason to go to grad or law school down that way.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:33:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Hey man, they just said on the Weather Channel that Ivan's eye is heading right towards Dauphin Island and Mobile. If you've still got power man, stay safe.

Buddy of mine has a house up on stilts his dad built on Dauphin on the real thin end. It came through just fine during Charlie (I think it was Charlie) in '98 (sand covered the road and water everywhere). Hope it's okay, it's a real nice place.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top