Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 11/8/2011 9:29:55 PM EDT
Going to check my S&W .357 for a trip to TX. Going from LAX to Dallas if that makes a difference?

I've read AA's rules and the TSA rules, seems pretty straight forward, just have the weapon unloaded in hard side locked container? It didn't sound like the ammo had to be locked up but its best if its in the original box for some reason?

My smith isn't exactly a high end item, i still wouldn't want it stolen though!

any tips? any problems I should try to work out?
Link Posted: 11/8/2011 9:33:30 PM EDT
Originally Posted By 1911greg:
Going to check my S&W .357 for a trip to TX. Going from LAX to Dallas if that makes a difference?

I've read AA's rules and the TSA rules, seems pretty straight forward, just have the weapon unloaded in hard side locked container? It didn't sound like the ammo had to be locked up but its best if its in the original box for some reason?

Call AA? Really?
Link Posted: 11/8/2011 9:42:14 PM EDT
Originally Posted By scottfire1957:

Call AA? Really?

Do you think AA is going to tell me they have guns stolen all the time? or that they freak out at the sight of a gun?

I need the arfcom opinion!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/8/2011 9:43:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/8/2011 9:45:48 PM EDT by KILLERB6]
The ticket agent gives you a card which says "UNLOADED FIREARM" which goes INSIDE the box; sometimes they try to put it on the outside of the box, which makes more sense, but advertises that it's a firearm.

Keep the weapon near the top of whatever bags it's going to be in, unlocked...so you can put the card in with it without a bunch of fuddling around.

If you do it right, they give you the card and you take the card to the box which is still inside your luggage; in other words, don't offer up the weapon unless they make you. I'm normally traveling with long guns so they just give me the card, I throw it in the box and lock it.

ETA: People travel all the time with weapons; it's no big deal.
Link Posted: 11/8/2011 9:44:22 PM EDT
I've flown into and out of DFW on AA with a gun many times. It's really very easy.

Unloaded gun in locked case. Ammo packed outside the case in the original manufacturer's package. Either the AA desk agent or the TSA officer will want to see it to confirm that it's unloaded, and the AA agent will give you a little card to sign. They keep one copy and you put a copy in your gun case. Lock the case and lock your suitcase, then hand it over to the TSA folks for the scan. I stand and wait until I get the thumbs-up from TSA because while my suitcase has a TSA lock, my gun case does not.

All the rules are on the AA website and the TSA website. Can't hurt to print it all out and take it with you just in case. Good luck.
Link Posted: 11/8/2011 9:48:04 PM EDT
I fly a carry gun every time I fly, no big deal, check in early though. Bigger airports are usually more difficult, smaller, not so much.
Link Posted: 11/8/2011 9:56:24 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Jarhead_22:
I've flown into and out of DFW on AA with a gun many times. It's really very easy.

Unloaded gun in locked case. Ammo packed outside the case in the original manufacturer's package. Either the AA desk agent or the TSA officer will want to see it to confirm that it's unloaded, and the AA agent will give you a little card to sign. They keep one copy and you put a copy in your gun case. Lock the case and lock your suitcase, then hand it over to the TSA folks for the scan. I stand and wait until I get the thumbs-up from TSA because while my suitcase has a TSA lock, my gun case does not.

All the rules are on the AA website and the TSA website. Can't hurt to print it all out and take it with you just in case. Good luck.

what exactly is a tsa lock?
Link Posted: 11/8/2011 10:04:57 PM EDT

You can have the ammo locked in the gun case if you want. Every time I've flown with a handgun I've stuck two boxes of ammo in the case with the gun, and have never had an issue with it. And ammo can be in any "sturdy container", not just the original package.
Link Posted: 11/8/2011 10:07:37 PM EDT

TSA locks are locks that can be opened by TSA Agents. If you put a regular lock on your bag, the airport will cut it off if they need to search it.

A TSA lock will have this logo on it to distinguish it.

Link Posted: 11/8/2011 10:14:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/8/2011 10:15:29 PM EDT by 1911greg]
Originally Posted By Mosin_Nagant:

TSA locks are locks that can be opened by TSA Agents. If you put a regular lock on your bag, the airport will cut it off if they need to search it.

http://www.rei.com/zoom/714382_989Lrg.jpg/440

ok so that way the baggage handlers don't jack your stuff after the tsa agent clipped the lock?
Link Posted: 11/8/2011 10:16:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/8/2011 10:16:39 PM EDT by Jarhead_22]

ok so basically so the baggage handlers don't jack your stuff after the tsa agent clipped the lock?

I wouldn't count on it. If TSA can get keys for those locks, it wouldn't surprise me if baggage handlers can get them too. And what's to keep a TSA guy from robbing you?

You rolls the dice and you takes your chances.
Link Posted: 11/8/2011 10:30:25 PM EDT

ok so basically so the baggage handlers don't jack your stuff after the tsa agent clipped the lock?

I wouldn't count on it. If TSA can get keys for those locks, it wouldn't surprise me if baggage handlers can get them too. And what's to keep a TSA guy from robbing you?

Yeah, it's kinda like putting a security system sign in your yard. Basically to encourage a thief to move on to another bag. But if they really want in, they'll do it anyway.
Link Posted: 11/8/2011 10:58:57 PM EDT

Yeah, it's kinda like putting a security system sign in your yard. Basically to encourage a thief to move on to another bag. But if they really want in, they'll do it anyway.

yeah i really dont want my gun stolen, ill ive it a try but its just goint to slow them down.
Link Posted: 11/8/2011 11:20:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/8/2011 11:26:39 PM EDT by cgrant26]

Rules now say that ammo can be in the same hard-sided case as your weapon as long as the ammo is in the factory container. Black powder and primers are a no go.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1666.shtm

ETA: Doesn't have to be the original ammo container as long as it keeps the rounds separated. I.E. not loose.

I'm flying out in a few hours with my Glock.

Link Posted: 11/9/2011 11:51:59 AM EDT
ok sounds good, not as bad as I was expecting. Anyone ran into any problems of thefts?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:14:32 AM EDT
Well just an update, just got back and everything went great.

I was kinda expecting some issues at LAX but the ticket clerk didn't even bat a eye. Super smooth, didn't even have to pull it out of the case.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:10:07 PM EDT
I'm glad the gun/TSA/airline aspect of your trip went smoothly.
Top Top