Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/15/2011 6:06:20 PM EDT

This happened at a local firearms class this last weekend. I was not there but had a couple of buddies that attended. I will ask them what ammo the shooter was using...

EDT: Mossberg 590
Ammo was #5 from walmart.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:07:13 PM EDT
[#1]
nothing to do with the ammo

that was a plugged barrel
needs to learn muzzle control and dont stick it in the mud

eta:, actually looks to far up to be an obstruction, maybe a left over wad from a weak load?

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:07:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Wow!  Mossberg 500?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:08:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

They are saying something about wad obstruction..
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:09:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've seen it happen with reloads, but never factory ammo.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:09:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

eta:, actually looks to far up to be an obstruction, maybe a left over wad from a weak load?

This post seems to make the most sense.

Wonder how that felt blowing up in his face.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:09:50 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

haha, just went back and edited that in before i saw your post, thats what i think too

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:12:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I've had wads stuck before.  Air pressure from the upcoming shot charge just pops them out.  This was something more.  Maybe the full shot charge.

No excuse for it in a pump IMO, you should be able to feel and observe a squib easily.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:17:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Keltec's new bullpup would've given him a facial.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:22:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow I have shotguns with thousandssss of reloads beat through them that never had a hiccup.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:27:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:27:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've had wads stuck before.  Air pressure from the upcoming shot charge just pops them out.  This was something more.  Maybe the full shot charge.

No excuse for it in a pump IMO, you should be able to feel and observe a squib easily.

This is what I dont get. I also figured it would have been popped out by the next shot..
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:28:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
That looks just about perfect for a 20-12 follower.

This
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:28:29 PM EDT
[#13]
It definitely  appears that the barrel was obstructed.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:36:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Wait, no one has made a Glock joke yet?

ETA:  No Mossberg quality jokes either?

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:39:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Wait, no one has made a Glock joke yet?

ETA:  No Mossberg quality jokes either?

IBTGJ
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:43:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That's where I'd put my money, if we were betting.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:45:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's where I'd put my money, if we were betting.

If so, where is the 20 ga round? It didn't vaporize.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:46:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Another Glock KB.

Thats the trouble with the .40

When will everyone learn to boycott Glock and their fanboys.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:46:14 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Could someone please explain this?

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:51:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Shooter gets careless and distracted. Puts a 20 gauge round in a 12 gauge chamber. Gets a misfire, cycles the action and chambers a 12 gauge round. Fires the 12, causing damage similar to what is shown in the photo. The ones I have seen have been more severe though-barrel breaks in several places instead of just a piece out of the top.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:53:02 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

If I'm running a pump hard and fast, I wouldn't until it was too late.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:55:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:56:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

my thoughts as well
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:56:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:

If I'm running a pump hard and fast, I wouldn't until it was too late.

I'm no stranger to working a shotgun. It's not THAT hard to keep track of.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:56:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not sure if that would be a 20/12 type deal...

a 20 gauge shell is just the right size to go past the chamber and have the rim caught on the forcing cone. Then when it doesn't fire, you pump the gun and load a normal 12 gauge behind it... Usually ends up blowing the chamber area apart... If a 20 gauge shell gets 'lost' in with a bunch of 12 it can sometimes be hard to spot...

Looks to me like some sort of barrel obstruction, I kinda doubt a wad alone would do it, maybe a bunch of mud/dirt crap got stuck in the barrel or something? I thought shotguns were designed to fire with an obstructed bore and just "bulge" but not burst like that, especially with the 590 and the heavy ass barrels they have.

ETA

Maybe a defective barrel?
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:58:11 PM EDT
[#26]
double charge?
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:58:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Was the barrel up his ass when he pulled the trigger?
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:00:00 PM EDT
[#28]
One possibility.  Squib where the ENTIRE shell separated from the shotshell base. Never seen it, but I have heard of it happening with reloaded hulls.

Even then the shooter should have noticed. (from the blowback if nothing else.)

Another possibility, he was trying for a hillbilly slug. (Cutting the hull with a pocket knife so it separates behind the wad)
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:04:41 PM EDT
[#29]
It doesn't have internal choke threads does it? If so then something could have gotten stuck if the choke wasn't screwed in all the way, or the choke had a crack or something in it.....
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:06:53 PM EDT
[#30]
It's obvious what happened. That wascally wabbit
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:08:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow I have shotguns with thousandssss of reloads beat through them that never had a hiccup.

Good for you?
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:15:43 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wads are plastic and just blow out. I've seen it happen on a skeet range before. My guess is a 20 ga made its way in and moved down the barrel when chambered. Click, rack new shell.. Boom

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:15:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:54:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
It doesn't have internal choke threads does it? If so then something could have gotten stuck if the choke wasn't screwed in all the way, or the choke had a crack or something in it.....

I don't think so on that barrel. No sight bead makes it look like it was a longer barrel that has been cut down, or is one of the 18" barrels that usually have a heat shield(which would have blown off with the rupture). With those, I think the sight bead is on the shield instead of the barrel, and I'm pretty sure the barrels don't take screw in chokes. I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:13:00 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't think so on that barrel. No sight bead makes it look like it was a longer barrel that has been cut down, or is one of the 18" barrels that usually have a heat shield(which would have blown off with the rupture). With those, I think the sight bead is on the shield instead of the barrel, and I'm pretty sure the barrels don't take screw in chokes. I could be wrong.

OP claims it to be a 590

Mine does not have choke threads but it does have a screw in brass front sight bead.  20" barrel

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:21:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

OP claims it to be a 590

Mine does not have choke threads but it does have a screw in brass front sight bead.  20" barrel

That's not a 590.  It's a 500.  The tell tale is the barrel retaining screw vs. a nut that is on the 590.  Also the mag tube comes out to just shy of the muzzle on the 590 whereas the 500 is shorter as seen in the OP's pic.  

I agree with the consensus.  20-12.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:29:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

OP claims it to be a 590

it's a 500.  Most likely cylinder bore. I really doubt screw in chokes unless he did it aftermarket.

I'm still going with either 20/12  or a shell separation stuck in the bore. More likely the latter.  It would take a LOT to swage a 20 ga shell base that far down the barrel.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:51:47 PM EDT
[#38]
wow

last century  at my very first gunshop job

we decided to blow up a shotgun to hang on the wall

picked a raggedy old damascus side by side that was already peeling at the solder

long story short multiple 3" steel magnum shells fired into barrel plugged with a dozen muzzleloading shotgun waxed cardboard wads were unable to produce anything more than a bulge

something seriously had to be stuffed up in that mossberg

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:52:31 PM EDT
[#39]
That sucks.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:55:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Is it just the barrel or did other things bend?
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 9:03:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 9:33:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Glock's making shotguns now?
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 9:37:00 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Glock's making shotguns now?

ahh yes there it is.........
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 9:53:40 PM EDT
[#44]
I have seen the 12-20 situation and it closer to the breech. A plugged barrel usually produces a bulge of some sort. I see no bulge. Any kind of plugged barrel usually produces a 360 degree problem. This looks like just the top is missing. I am going to have to say defective barrel.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:03:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Would the 20ga ignite after the 12ga shell?

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:09:16 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

I have seen the 12-20 situation and it closer to the breech. A plugged barrel usually produces a bulge of some sort. I see no bulge. Any kind of plugged barrel usually produces a 360 degree problem. This looks like just the top is missing. I am going to have to say defective barrel.

there is a pretty good bulge at about the 1/2 way point

looks like once it went it then peeled off the top

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:30:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Interesting. I would have expected the barrel to have more bulge.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:32:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not only that but it has a very distinct sound... One that would keep 90% of the shooters out there from firing another round
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:38:37 PM EDT
[#49]
I have seen at least two videos of people trying to replicate a KB with the 20-12 thing and nether of the barrels blew, I am thinking it is a defect in the metal.
Here is one with no failure.
ETA:Here is a failure with an older 12 Ga. that blew closer to the muzzle like the Mossi 500
I still think it was a metal defect, a modern gun like a 500 shouldn't fail if a similar 870 like the first vid doesn't.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:51:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Quoted:

there is a pretty good bulge at about the 1/2 way point
looks like once it went it then peeled off the top

Yeah I see the bulge in the top piece, looks like the rear half of the barrel cracked, and the thinner front portion peeled off and you can see the "hinge" about 2" from the front where it probably finally let go.

And as others have posted, the 12/20 situation would probably blow it up closer to the receiver. I would think something had to be wrong with the barrel for that to happen, maybe it got hit on a concrete shooting table and caused a stress fracture that propagated?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top