Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2003 9:36:20 AM EDT
The wrong place for shooting What kind of hick town is this? Why is there an outdoor shooting range in a residential area? I live about two-thirds of a mile from the Portland Gun Club on Southeast 174th Avenue.

The shooting is so loud inside my home that even earplugs are ineffective. I feel sorry for the thousands of people who live closer to it than I do.
Of course, since this is a lower middle class neighborhood, my neighbors and I are deemed unworthy of being treated like human beings in this society. You know that the city and county commissioners who are permitting this travesty of justice would never permit this to happen in the more upscale neighborhoods. But why should a small group of gun nuts have to drive to one of the hundreds of excellent places to shoot off guns that surround this city, especially when it is so much more fun to impose enormous stress on thousands of poor people?

I wonder why The Oregonian hasn't jumped on this story? Surely any newspaper worth its salt would be aware of such an extreme injustice occurring within their subscription area.

This situation exemplifies why I will never stop hating the United States of America. This country is not about liberty and justice for all. This country is about rich people endlessly finding ways to make poor people suffer and getting a great deal of animalistic pleasure out of it

Complete letter...
here
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 9:46:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Bad link. But out of curiosity, how long has the range been there? How long have [i]you[/i] been there?

Edited to add: the URL the link pulls has some typos in it, but they are easily fixed. You might want to edit your post to indicate that it is a quotation from someone else's letter, assuming you aren't Stephen Gessner, Whining Loser.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 9:53:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted: Bad link. But out of curiosity, how long has the range been there? How long have [i]you[/i] been there?
View Quote

Yeah, the link wasn't working so I re-edited my post to include the entire letter.

http://www.oregonlive.com/search/index.ssf?/base/metro_east_news/10719253568450.xml?oregonian?epn

The Portland Gun Club has been in existance since 1913.

http://www.hevanet.com/rwil/oha_pgc.htm

Link Posted: 12/29/2003 9:54:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Bad link. But out of curiosity, how long has the range been there? How long have [i]you[/i] been there?

Edited to add: the URL the link pulls has some typos in it, but they are easily fixed. You might want to edit your post to indicate that it is a quotation from someone else's letter, assuming you aren't Stephen Gessner, Whining Loser.
View Quote

It has been there since 1913 (yeah - 1913) according to their website:

[url]http://www.hevanet.com/rwil/oha_pgc.htm[/url]

I would think LONG before the neighborhood was established.

Edited to Add:

The guy is just a whiner who doesn't appreciate the sound of freedom.  He should have checked out the neighborhood better before buying there.

I live about a mile and a half from our local police range.  If the wind is blowing right (from the NW) the sound carries over to my house.  It is a beautiful sound.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 9:56:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Reckon he should have considered that before he signed the mortgage, eh? [rolleyes]

I demand that Miami move Miami International Airport because the approach routes are right over my head...
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 9:56:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

[b]This situation exemplifies why I will never stop hating the United States of America[/b]. This country is not about liberty and justice for all. This country is about rich people endlessly finding ways to make poor people suffer and getting a great deal of animalistic pleasure out of it

Complete letter...
[url="http://www.oregonlive.com/search/index.ssf?/base/metro_east_news/10719253568450.xml?oregonian?epn"] here [/url]
View Quote

This tells me all I need to know about the whining turd.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 9:57:07 AM EDT
[#6]
What a bone smoker.Must be a liberal demoncrap.Move bitch.Or......go shooting.WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 9:59:33 AM EDT
[#7]
if there was ever a poster child for the word ASSHAT this is it!

mike
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 10:00:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Several states, including Fla iirc, have "Range Protection" statutes to deal with shitstains like this. I guess it never occurred to him that membership in the lower socioeconomic class carries with it the burden of limited financial resources, often leading to the purchase of property in less-desirable areas - near, say, noisy industrial plants, smelly agricultural operations, and shooting ranges.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 10:00:18 AM EDT
[#9]
[url]http://www.oregonlive.com/search/index.ssf?/base/metro_east_news/10719253568450.xml?oregonian?epn"[/url]

Link fixed
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 10:05:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Let's look at what he is saying here.  He's 2/3 of a mile away from this range.  He's inside his house.  He's wearing earplugs, and he's still overcome by the noise?  I want some of whatever they are shooing at that range and I want one NOW!  [:D]
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 10:08:03 AM EDT
[#11]
What a candy assed pussy.

The shooting is so loud inside my home that even earplugs are ineffective.
View Quote

You got any more total bullshit lies to tell, ass cricket?  But, if true you should run, not walk to the nearest medical research facility.  There hasn't been such sensitive hearing recorded since Superman made his last appearance.  I'm sure the researchers would be eager to [s]dissect[/s][i]examine[/i] you in great detail.

That would satisfy both the medical research community and would remove a world-class shitstain from the gene pool.

Oh, and if this is such a fucking awful country [red][b]MOVE YOUR PUSSY OUT OF IT AND BE HAPPY SOMEWHERE ELSE[/B][/RED]
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 10:08:43 AM EDT
[#12]
I sure hope some Oregon Members are sending in their letters of rebuttle!
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 10:10:50 AM EDT
[#13]
a local range around here had the same whiny people living around it. the people buying the houses that were built around the shooting range(which has been there for like 50 years) even signed something at the real estate office when they originally bought the houses saying that they knew there was a shooting range there. a couple years ago the residents started to complain about the range and ended up suing to get it closed down. the judge basically told them to go pound sand, they knew it was there when they built their houses, and if they didn't like it they should have built elsewhere. now a similar situation is coming to another local range. it has also been there for years and was way out of town. but the town is now growing around the range, and people are starting to complain. the precedent that was set in with the first case should be enough to protect this range also. how stupid do you have to be to build a house next to a shooting range, and not expect there to be some noise.

The shooting is so loud inside my home that even earplugs are ineffective.
View Quote

that is kind of funny, since the earplugs seem to work for the people that are actually shooting the firearms, why wouldn't they work for someone living away from the range, and inside of a house?

Link Posted: 12/29/2003 10:30:17 AM EDT
[#14]
that is kind of funny, since the earplugs seem to work for the people that are actually shooting the firearms, why wouldn't they work for someone living away from the range, and inside of a house?

View Quote

Don't you know that some people will do whatever it takes to be offended and put-upon? He probably has a parabolic mike strapped to his chimney and an amplifier feeding the noise into a set of $500 earphones.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 10:32:59 AM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

This is probably the same dork who claimed on Rush's program that she could smell the cigarette smoke of her neighbor, even though both she AND her neighbor were inside their homes with all the doors and windows shut. [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 10:46:11 AM EDT
[#16]
This same crap is going to happen to my range very shortly. The range has been there forever. It was just farm fields and the local airport sharing the plateau with the range. But the farmer sold out and now there are like a hundred of the nicest houses in the area right next to the range. So it is only a matter of time before they start whining about it and try to shut us down. And these people have MONEY, so it could happen. Better not though. I have NO use for idiots who knowingly go into such a situation and then whine about it.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 10:58:08 AM EDT
[#17]
I live right near a range and it doesn't bother me at all.  Some of the idiots that moved out there from town started to complain and the county ended up putting all kinds of restrictions on it.  Can't shoot on Fri or Sat, earlier closing times etc.  The range ended up moving farther down the road last year.  It's actually nicer now and the cops use it for training, but the fact that people moved next to it and then bitched about the noise really yanks my chain!
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 11:03:10 AM EDT
[#18]
I work as a full-time firefighter. My station is located in a heavily populated area with apartments and condos surrounding the firehouse.
Several times a year, neighbors complain and ask that we not use the sirens and horns when we respond to a call (for the most part, we don't use them late at night or early in the morning when there's no traffic).

WTF were these people thinking when they moved across the street/next door and they saw 3 huge red fire trucks parked out in front of the station?

The best one was when a couple looking at a condo came into the station along with the realty agent and asked about the noise issue. They were told straight out what they could expect. About a half hour later the agent comes back into the station and is pissed that we informed the couple of the situation (guess he didn't make his commission on that one).

As for neighbors and shooting ranges... believe it or not, here in anti-gun Massachusetts, shooting ranges are protected against noise complaints.

[url]http://www.state.ma.us/legis/laws/mgl/214%2D7b.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 11:04:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Whiny bitch!
My inlaws lived accross the street from there and a good friend lived in the apartments right next to the range. They knew about it when they moved in, and have never complained about it.

Two things come to mind;
1. The guys an idiot for buying a house there if it bothered you that bad.
2. The guys an idiot for buying a house with that thin of walls.

CH
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 11:14:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Hello,
My name is STEPHEN GESSNER and I am a candy arse![BD][brick]

They must be bustin' off one of dem 105mm Howitzers over there![rofl2]

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 11:21:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Wanna know what pisses me off the most? It wasn't the fact that this anti gun moron was too stupid to realize he bought near a gun range,air port or major highway but the fact that he said this------"This situation exemplifies why I will never stop hating the United States of America."

Screw you asshole, move out.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 11:21:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Drag strip at Englishtown, NJ. Been there forever. People bought houses in the winter when there were no races. Summer comes, people unhappy with noise. Lawyers are retained. Judge makes drag strip build [b]million dollar[/b] sound suppression wall.

My range couldn't stand the bill, how about yours?
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 11:23:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 11:24:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I[red] work[/red] as a full-time firefighter.
View Quote

[lol] Work is not the word I was thinking of...[:D]

No, Really, we have the same kind of thing around here, We leave the station and the guy down the street calls into 9-1-1 to bitch about us running code. He put a sign in front of his house that says "25 MPH even if you are a emergency vehicle"....In a way he is right, When he Codes I hope the Medics respond at only the speed limit.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 11:44:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I[red] work[/red] as a full-time firefighter.
View Quote

[lol] Work is not the word I was thinking of...[:D]

No, Really, we have the same kind of thing around here, We leave the station and the guy down the street[blue] calls into 9-1-1 to bitch about us running code.[/blue] He put a sign in front of his house that says "25 MPH even if you are a emergency vehicle"....In a way he is right, When he Codes I hope the Medics respond at only the speed limit.
View Quote

Well they need to fine the stupid bastage every time he does it![pissed]

9-1-1 is for "Emergencies" only! Not because some candy arse gets his panties up in his crackie![nuts]

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 12:07:28 PM EDT
[#26]
My local range moved away from the population center back in the 50s. Now, with the housing boom and condos going up, there are more people surrounding the range again. To head off potential problems, we built an indoor range out of concrete. 10 firing ports, 50ft apiece, with immediate plans to extend half the ports to 50yds.

All because of assholes and lawyers.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 12:31:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
All because of assholes and lawyers.
View Quote

Ah, but you repeat yourself.

[}:D]

Couldn't resist that one! (Apolgies to ETH).
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 2:32:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Several times a year, neighbors complain and ask that we not use the sirens and horns when we respond to a call (for the most part, we don't use them late at night or early in the morning when there's no traffic).

WTF were these people thinking when they moved across the street/next door and they saw 3 huge red fire trucks parked out in front of the station?
View Quote

OK, here is my once a year post.  I always find this humorous.  Being both a career and volunteer firefighter, I hear this constantly "Caller requests silent-run or no lights and siren"  I have no problem with this, and see why, when in neighborhoods or possibly making a patients condition worse by exciting them with the sirens, but when they want it done from the time we leave the station to the time we arrive, because they dont want undue attention drawn on themselves, and are not even worried about our own safety, then its a different story.

Those are the cases that I cut the siren off when I put the truck in park, in front of the house.

The Whistlepig
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 3:12:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Damn. I thought this thread was going to be about Heidi Klum.[naughty]

CW
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 3:14:06 PM EDT
[#30]
By Kooter:  that is kind of funny, since the earplugs seem to work for the people that are actually shooting the firearms, why wouldn't they work for someone living away from the range, and inside of a house?
View Quote

I can hear the guy now, "Oh, their EAR plugs.  Not rear plugs? I guess I don't know Sh*T"

By Red_Label:This same crap is going to happen to my range very shortly. The range has been there forever. It was just farm fields and the local airport sharing the plateau with the range. But the farmer sold out and now there are like a hundred of the nicest houses in the area right next to the range. So it is only a matter of time before they start whining about it and try to shut us down. And these people have MONEY, so it could happen. Better not though. I have NO use for idiots who knowingly go into such a situation and then whine about it.
View Quote

If I were you, I'd let them build all the expensive houses that they can...Then buy a 50 BMG and be there every morning as soon as the Club opens. Signal the start of a new day, everyday. Just a round or 5. [50]

Most of the Clubs I've been to are open from sun-up to sunset. Soon they'll all want to sell. If you're persistent enough the price will be rediculously low as the potential buyers will hear you every morning. (Might want to try sunset as well as lunch) Eventually you should be a hell of a shot with your .50 and can buy yourself an affordable home right next to your range.  That's a happy story right there.

Of course, would you want a home next to a noisy airport!??? Sheeesh!

Sly
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 5:20:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Damn, one post too late with the EAR plugs I thought they said REAR plugs.  I mean that's what worked with what they said I could do with my complaints.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 5:29:58 PM EDT
[#32]
There was a similar situation with the local business airport.  The airport manager brought an arial photo of the airport and surrounding region taken in 1935.  He then asked those complaining of aircraft noise to please point out their house.  None could as there were no houses surrounding it at the time save one farm house that was no longer there.  End of argument.  You built your house where you knew that airplanes were coming and going around the clock.  You chose to live with periodic noise.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 6:42:29 PM EDT
[#33]
My brother lives in Vancouver, WA, not too far away, IIRC. he says there are a lot of disaffected ivory-tower Easterners and Kalifornians who move to OR/WA, only to discover that, yes, country life is QUITE different from submurbia. Duuuuuhhhh...

I read Gessner's letter- from the style and general tone, he's likely some lonely college kid, from out of the area, not used to guns. He has some growing up to do.

Perhaps a friendly visit- and I do mean FRIENDLY visit- from some range members, dropping by his place, in the guise of being concerned about noise, and to hear him out, then tell him how long the range has been there, how (likely) few of its members are the rich (most gun owners I meet are blue collar, actually), and then offer to take him for a tour of the range, with a guest or two, if it makes him feel more comfortable.

Couldn't hurt.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 11:24:18 PM EDT
[#34]
[b][size=2]I took the liberty to correct the content of this letter...so It more accurately portrays the feelings of its author.[/size=3][/b]

The wrong place for shooting What kind of hick town is this? Why [s]is there an outdoor shooting range in a residential area? I live[/s] [blue]did I buy a house[/blue] about two-thirds of a mile from the Portland Gun Club on Southeast 174th Avenue[blue]?[/blue]
[blue]Because, of course...I am a dumb-fuck, who failed to realize that sometimes people would be shooting off guns in there.
And...I was counting on my hero, former President Bill Clinton...to make those nasty things illegal anyway.[/blue]

The shooting is so loud inside my home that even [blue]my[/blue] [s]ear[/s][blue]butt[/blue]plugs [s]are ineffective[/s] [blue]keep getting jarred loose[/blue]. I feel sorry for [s]the thousands of people who live closer to it than I do[/s] [blue]myself[/blue].
Of course, since [s]this is a lower middle class neighborhood[/s] [blue]many of[/blue] my neighbors [s]and I[/s] are [blue]gun owners, who actually ENJOY living near a gun range...they have[/blue] deemed [blue]my stupid ass[/blue] unworthy of being treated like [blue] an actual MAN, with TESTICLES[/blue] [s]human beings in this society[/s].
You know that the city and county commissioners [s]who are permitting this travesty of justice would never permit this to happen in the more upscale neighborhoods[/s] [blue]always laugh at me when I wear my pink tutu at City Council meetings, [/blue]But why should [s]a small group of gun nuts[/s] [blue]I[/blue] have to drive to one of [s]the hundreds of excellent places to shoot off guns that surround this[/s] [blue]those "silly" nightclubs in the[/blue] city [blue]to express my true inner self ?[/blue] Especially when it is so much more fun to [s]impose[/s] [blue]prance around town in my[/blue] enormous [blue] high heel pumps. [/blue] [s]stress on thousands of poor people?[/s]

[s]I wonder why The Oregonian hasn't jumped on this story? Surely any newspaper worth its salt would be aware of such an extreme injustice occurring within their subscription area.[/s]

[s]This situation exemplifies why[/s] [red][b]I will never stop hating the United States of America.[/b][/red] [s]This country is not about liberty and justice for all. This country is about rich people endlessly finding ways to make poor people suffer and getting a great deal of animalistic pleasure out of it[/s]
[blue]And that about sums it up.[/blue]
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 11:32:44 PM EDT
[#35]
I like the assholes who just built their houses near DFW airport and now complain about the noise.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 11:45:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Drag strip at Englishtown, NJ. Been there forever. People bought houses in the winter when there were no races. Summer comes, people unhappy with noise. Lawyers are retained. Judge makes drag strip build [b]million dollar[/b] sound suppression wall.

View Quote

We in PA are lucky to have state preemption laws that preclude local gov'ts from regulating or otherwise making laws concerning such things as shooting ranges, hunting, and all that good stuff.  They have been trying for years to shut down that old timer up off Swamp Rd and Mozart Rd in Bucks County  and that is a $$$ real estate area and they have been unsuccessful so far!  He complies with the proper backstops and such and that's that.  He does get harrassed but he doesn't seeme to be going anywhere.  He could make a nice chunk of change if he sold out to Toll Brothers or something but he's old school and I think he likes to piss off all the fuckhead anti's in the area!
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 2:54:24 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

We in PA are lucky to have state preemption laws that preclude local gov'ts from regulating or otherwise making laws concerning such things as shooting ranges, hunting, and all that good stuff.  They have been trying for years to shut down that old timer up off Swamp Rd and Mozart Rd in Bucks County  and that is a $$$ real estate area and they have been unsuccessful so far!  He complies with the proper backstops and such and that's that.  He does get harrassed but he doesn't seeme to be going anywhere.  He could make a nice chunk of change if he sold out to Toll Brothers or something but he's old school and I think he likes to piss off all the fuckhead anti's in the area!
View Quote

I remember the Englishtown debacle well.

My local range has the protection statute posted at the gate, at the club house door, and at the firing line. We had a new neighbor complain repeatedly to the State Police, and they just kept telling him to stuff it (in so many words). A couple of State cops shoot at the range regularly.  It sure must suck to be a moron!
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 3:02:27 AM EDT
[#38]
I want his address so I can mail him a this picture:

[img]http://home.comcast.net/~superchicken308/arnoldstfu.jpg[/img]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top