Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/31/2001 10:11:06 PM EDT
Hey all,

I just wanted to show off my new Rem 700VS.  Enjoy!!!

For anyone else who might ask it is chamered for .223Rem, the scope is a Tasco Super Sniper 10x42, and the factory stock was replaced with a PSS style stock from HS Precison.  Thanks for the comments and glad you enjoyed seeing it!

Take care,

Steve

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=280287&a=9188528&p=52371490[/img]
[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=280287&a=9188528&p=52371488[/img]
[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=280287&a=9188528&p=52371489[/img]
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 10:17:32 PM EDT
[#1]
NICE!
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 10:20:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Thats a nice looking rifle you have there SteveG. BTW what caliber is that? Mine is a .220 Swift with a 6-20x56 30mm SA Gov. model.

Alex
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 10:31:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Very groovy.  I really enjoy my 700 as well!  I don't think I've seen a green PSS stock before.
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 10:49:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 11:51:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice Pelican.

Is that stock OD?
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 12:00:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
...should have bought yourselves a winchester...
View Quote

Yep, That's what I did, it doesn't mean your rifle is not good, ours our better...[;)]
[moon]
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 12:03:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Isn't that the whole reason that a warranty exists, Hunter. Rems. have a pretty good war.behind them.
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 1:30:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Dude!  Why would you put a Tasco on such a beautiful rifle???
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 4:30:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
now i don't wanna spoil da party, but, did you guys know that if your rifle ejector breaks down, you are going to have to throw away the whole bolt?
you guys should have bought yourselves a winchester.......don't believe me? take out the bolt and check out...the ejector and the head of the bolt they are both one piece.
HUNTER
OUT.
View Quote
...but it can be replaced, or you can have a Sako style extractor installed.
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 10:29:44 AM EDT
[#10]
SteveG,
Kewl rig. I have a VS in 22-250 and have been thinking of a HS stock. What did it run you?
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 10:37:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 11:58:07 AM EDT
[#12]
On what are you basing your derogatory comments concerning the Remington, Hunter? Are you a Remington bolt gun mechanic? If you are, then you would be well aware that the extractor most certainly can be replaced without replacing the entire bolt. I'm sure you would also be aware that your chances of being hit by lightning are also somewhat greater than breaking the extractor on a Remington 700 (used by the armed forces since Vietnam, that says something). I'm also sure, Hunter, that you are very well aware that your vaunted Model 70 Winchester has a version, the Model 70 Stealth, that is a direct competitor of the Model 700 VS that uses the [b][i]SAME[/i][b] push-feed extraction system. It's certainly possible that the Model 70's extraction system may be slightly stronger than the Model 700's, but not by much (I doubt any, really). However, it has been proven that the push-feed design has better accuracy potential than the claw extractor. Winchester knows this, hence its target versions of the Model 70 having the same system as their Remington competitors. Now, do you have any proof as to the Model 700 being inferior (it's been in production in one form or another since 1948), or are you simply expressing your opinion of your personal likes and dislikes? FWIW, Winchester's selection of left-handed models is pathetic compared to Remington and everyone else.

Below is my 700 VS LH in .308 that I'm going to break in tomorrow. I trust that the scope is favorable to everyone, it's a Leupold Vari-XIII 4.5x14 with a shade. I like the factory stock just fine, but SteveG's green is intriguing.
[img]http://communities.msn.com/_Secure/0PgBaGoEUFm7UoK3Py7xQMQuSr4l2eUW5oYE26NVOdRoEDyvmI2tAfxnbSjiwJvDXB*o5KooT3wWI8jkCnWx*22DK8C3Zt5!V/DSC00003.jpg[/img]
[img]http://communities.msn.com/_Secure/0OgAAAKYTAx3UoK3Py7xQMTfw!8kwI3g0gKKxZ95WO9CIVg!H9qm*Zm3t4FydgQ7v!8IxTBarUExurNEQ2Q7N2oubWOkw0SV9/DSC00010.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 12:02:54 PM EDT
[#13]
I agree why put a tasco(no offense to Tasco Scopes) on such a sweet rifle. Try a Leupold, you won't regret it.
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 12:22:43 PM EDT
[#14]
VERY nice rifle Steve.

Tyler
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 1:58:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 2:01:51 PM EDT
[#16]
I'd like to know what your actual experience is with this, or are you just regurgitating what some other armchair "expert" has said.
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 2:11:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Actually, I'm a little more curious as to how you would go about replacing the entire bolt head as you've mentioned, on a bolt that is made from a solid piece of steel. How 'bout it? As I recall, and looking at my 700 and some exploded drawings, the extractor is held into place with a rivet and the entire case head is countersunk into the bolt. The Winchester 70 push-feed has a portion of the bolt cut out and and extractor is used to take up this space. I can't see how that's stronger or more reliable than the Remington system, but like you said, you don't own either one.
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 2:55:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Here are the procedures for removing the extractors of both the Remington 700 and Winchester 70 push-feed rifles as copied from the [b][i]Third Edition Bolt Action Rifles[/i][/b] by Frank de Haas.
The Remington:
[img]http://communities.msn.com/_Secure/0PAAiINgUVX4afTecKqfFEMv4DT4wY!WtbQI2OXTyZVkiYIOxMl*zotgkAWbF5*bhxrWlIakFg1N7lj0X1sp4vlf95B1QwtGo/umax18.jpg[/img]

The Winchester 70 push-feed:
[img]http://communities.msn.com/_Secure/0PAA8HdkUin679YQITb*85abfGxJRXCCSe!T9!3NF*nm2WsfciUhzRv4fJDlbfpBPPwrhfzEBYns0OF3WEM6oU0NyxNtbidX*/umax19.jpg[/img]

Yeah, it's really tough to work on the Remington, if you can't read maybe.
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 4:08:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Grundsau,

I got the HS Precision stock locally for $270.  I believe that they are $285 from HS Precision directly.  Look them up at www.hsprecision.com

reconxl and sprayboy,

I have a Leupold on my PSS and know of their quality, thanks.  I put the Tasco Super Sniper scope on my rifle based on the many praises it has received by other members of AR15.com, do a search in the optic forum and read up on it..Basically it's 95% of a Leupold for about 30% of the price.

Take care,

Steve
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 4:36:20 PM EDT
[#20]
According to the new Brownell's catalog, the H-S Precision stocks are $240 for the PSS-type stock and $228 for all of the others (with discount, of course) plus $6.75 for flat-rate shipping.
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 5:27:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
now i don't wanna spoil da party, but, did you guys know that if your rifle ejector breaks down, you are going to have to throw away the whole bolt?
you guys should have bought yourselves a winchester.......don't believe me? take out the bolt and check out...the ejector and the head of the bolt they are both one piece.
HUNTER
OUT.
View Quote

I was always a big winchester fan and that is one of the reasons. The bolt/saftey. I like the mauser design with the saftey. I have the heavy varmint in 223. great rifle
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 5:53:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Except that Hunter has incorrectly opined that the bolt head and ejector are a single assembly. This is patently FALSE. The gun has been in constant production since 1948 and is used by millions of hunters, military units, and law enforcement agencies world wide. The "safety" argument doesn't hold up. Sorry, those are just your personal likes and dislikes, no facts or experiences.
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 5:55:48 PM EDT
[#23]
While you guys are on the subject of the Remington 700 vs. the Winchester Model 70, I have a few comments and observations.

1. Have any of you guys seen the new FN Special Police Rifle? It is based on the Model 70, and a review in Special Weapons for Law Enforcement/Military had it shooting .44 in groups at 100 yards rountinely with nothing more than 168 grain .308 Black Hills ammo. Anyone seen this gun yet? It costs only around $700-900, which is a hell of a lot cheaper than buying a HS Precision Rifle.

[url]http://www.fnmfg.com/lawenf/rifle/riflemain.htm[/url]

2. I've read some articles on some sniper web pages on the internet about how Remington 700 VS's and LE PPS's are inferior to say the HS Precision, only because Remington does not tighten up the chamber and make the bullet seat nice and tight down the barrel. They do this for liablity reasons in case of an explosion, but it costs them a lot of accuracy, whereas one should be getting under 0.5" vs. 0.85" groups. I guess this is what happens when there are too many lawyers in the world.

themao [chainsawkill]
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 6:16:19 PM EDT
[#24]
I could probably accept that, but I think any perceived loss in accuracy is mostly subjective or insignificant at worst. There are shooters in the Cast Bullet Association who use the 700 V and VS to shoot some pretty impressive scores. A new barrel could be screwed on for a nominal cost if things really bother the shooter. I also think the Model 70 is an excellent rifle, but they don't offer much for a lefty.
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 6:32:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Nice looking setup... You aught to post us some groups, I bet that babby will really shoot.

I love my .308vls. It's a lot shinyer (is that a word) than your but big fun.

I'll add a pick if I can get off my lazy butt. I have pictures of groups I get with it too, somewhere.
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 7:04:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Dude!  Why would you put a Tasco on such a beautiful rifle???
View Quote

That's what I say.
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 8:17:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Damn, boy!  Nice rifle!
I see why you used the TASCO, for now...
I can only offer my lousy practice pictures for you to look at.  I've shown these before, so, I ought to get busy and make better ones.
The 4 rifles are:
Remington 700 BDL 7mm Rem.Mag in the Bell&Carlson Thumbhole Sporter stock and Leupold 4.5-14x40 Tactical Mil-Dot scope.

Remington 700 BDL-DM .338 Win.Mag. with Redfield 1.75-5x20.

Browning BAR Safari MKII BOSS/CR 7mm Rem.Mag. in a Bell&Carlson stock and Leupold 4.5-14x40 with Stoney Point target turrets and B-SQUARE Match Roto-Tilt bipod.

Remington 7400 Carbine .30-06 with Leupold 4.5-24x40 and Choate 870 pistolgrip buttstock.

All of these are subject to change without notice!  I was considering making the 700 BDL a dedicated hunter in its original stock and swapping the scope to the Bushmaster V-MATCH upper, whose NIKON 6.5-20 would go to the BAR, whose scope would go to the .338, whose scope (after painting it matte black) would go to the 7400 in its new Bell&Carlson stock, making it the Carbine it's supposed to be!!!
If you're not confused, neither am I!
Ready for "what are you gonna do with the Thumbhole stock?"  I'm going to get a Remington Classic 1994 6.5x55 Swedish rifle; rebarrel it to heavy DouglasXX and pillar bed the whole thing to the hogged out stock.  Then, I'll have an accurate shooter for fun, too.  Whew!
[url]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/010/sS/QJ/4J/ZO27700.jpg[/url]
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 8:31:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 8:38:55 PM EDT
[#29]
[b][green][i]"Remington! Remington! Remington!  NEENER-NEENER-NEE-NERRRR!!!![/i][/green][/b]
[-!-!-]
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 9:28:51 PM EDT
[#30]
The extractor is a separate piece on the 700.

The extractor is not attached to a cut out section of the bolt as many extractors are.

Grab a 700 bolt.  Got one?  If not use your imagine as I haven't been set up to post pics yet.

Look inside the end of the bolt.  See the extractor?  Yep that's it.  That lip that sticks out and grabs the base of the round.  

Now look C-A-R-F-U-L-L-Y.  Notice that band that wraps around the inside of end of the bolt.  You know... the one that is part of the "extractor".  You'll see a pin attaching one side of it to the bolt.  On the other side of that band you'll see the groove continue on for a bit.

Now notice.... The extractor and that band are the same piece.  The pin holds it into the bolt.

Therefore... (here's the important part)... If a pin holds the band that is part of the extractor to the bolt.  Then the "bolt" and the "extractor" are not "one piece".  The extractor is a "half-ring" shaped piece inside the end of the bolt.

Saying a Remington is better then a Winchester or vice versa is like the old Chevy vs Ford arguement.  Pretty much meaningless and based on personal preference and not useful differences.

BTW, Again SteveG..... Great choice!  

Link Posted: 8/1/2001 9:58:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Actually, I'm a little more curious as to how you would go about replacing the entire bolt head as you've mentioned, on a bolt that is made from a solid piece of steel. How 'bout it?////////////Except that Hunter has incorrectly opined that the bolt head and ejector are a single assembly. This is patently FALSE......
View Quote
those are words from ONE SAME GUY...he first said that the bolt was a single piece of steel......when i said the ejector was "attached" to the bolt......well....you can see it with your own eyes.   haha
hunter
out.
View Quote
No nimrod, he first quoted you, as [b]you are the one who stated that the bolt head and the ejector is a one piece assembly[/b], which it is NOT. Since the ejector must be able to move (if it's located in the bolt) it cannot be a piece of the whole bolt, therefore you were also inferring that the bolt head is a separate part from the rest of the bolt body.

Now, there are several errors here. First off, the EXTRACTOR is the thing that looks like it's part of the bolt body, and that was probably the part you were talking about - and yes, it's tricky to remove, but not impossible.

The EJECTOR is the plunger-like object protruding through the bolt face, and that too is removable. I'd even go so far as to say that it's VERY simple to remove the ejector.

So in the future, take a look at what YOU said before you start to flame others. And on that subject I apologize for using the word nimrod.
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 10:00:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Hey BigMac,

I will post some groups when I get this baby broken in, which will commence Friday.

I never thought my post would turn in to a Rem/Win debate...sheeeesh....

Here's a topic from the Optics forum with some comments on the Tasco SS scopes: [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=38060[/url]

Take care guys,

Steve
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 11:59:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 12:53:07 AM EDT
[#34]
I don't know about the extractor (not a part that fails all that frequently on a bolt action anyway), but I have heard that the 700 has had multiple instances of accidental discharge that have been traced to mechanical problems in the rifle itself.

To my knowledge neither the Mauser-type Winchester 70, nor the push-feed 70 have ever had mechanical safety issues.

Having never personally seen a 700 fire without the trigger being pulled I'm not entirely willing to beleive that it has mechanical safety problems.  The information should still be noted.

Just for a little info, I own 2 700s.  One is a .223 lightweight hunter that I use on groundhogs, the other is a .300 Remington Ultra that has ne real purpose other than bragging rights.
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 1:07:30 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I don't know about the extractor (not a part that fails all that frequently on a bolt action anyway), but I have heard that the 700 has had multiple instances of accidental discharge that have been traced to mechanical problems in the rifle itself.
View Quote
I can see how that might happen if someone has tried to a triggerjob on their own, and the pressure onto the trigger sear is too low, or the sear engagement itself is set too low.

There are several ways you can f*ck up when doing a trigger job on a 700.
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 1:14:00 AM EDT
[#36]
I think ya both spent too much on it as it is!
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 1:22:02 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I think ya both spent too much on it as it is!
View Quote
Whaddya mean?
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 2:33:31 AM EDT
[#38]
Actually, the accidental discharges attributed to the Remington 700 can be traced to some dingaling "adjusting" the trigger. There are three adjustment screws on the 700's trigger: one for over travel, one for weight, and one for sear engagement. Too often, home gunsmiths, as well as piss-poor "gunsmiths," try to monkey with the sear engagement. The result of the accidental discharges can be traced to one thing and one thing only, POOR GUN HANDLING.

On the subject of Remington versus Winchester, I believe the only clown who made a weak attempt at that was Hunter, the mechanical genius.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top