Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/9/2002 10:47:55 AM EDT
[url]http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&ncid=716&e=5&u=/ap/20020509/ap_on_re_eu/russia_blast[/url]

KASPIISK, Russia (AP) - A remote-controlled bomb shattered a holiday parade Thursday in a Russian town near Chechnya (news - web sites), killing at least 34 people, including children, elderly veterans and members of a marching band that had just struck up the tune "Victory Day."
View Quote

Seventeen servicemen — most of them musicians — 12 children and five adult bystanders were killed, said the Dagestan department of the Emergency Situations Ministry.

NTV television showed footage shot minutes after the explosion. Soldiers in camouflage uniforms lay splayed in the middle of the street, blood streaming from their wounds. Men carried limp children to waiting ambulances, as policemen shooed away shocked bystanders still clutching flowers they had planned to lay at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. Screams filled the air.

Sappers moved in with mine-detectors to find any other unexploded devices. Investigators and officials gathered at the attack site.

The explosion was the latest of a series of terrorist and criminal attacks that have rocked the southern region. But coming on Victory Day, it shocked and angered people across Russia. News of the explosion broke during the annual military parade on Red Square, where thousands of troops marched past Russian President Vladimir Putin (news - web sites) and World War II veterans.

Putin convened an emergency meeting in the Kremlin and appointed the head of the Federal Security Service to oversee the investigation into what he called a terrorist act.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 12:28:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I wonder what ever happened to the pro-Chechen crowd awhile back? Remember that poor Russian soldier getting his head cut off? Hmmmmmm....
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 12:32:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 5:12:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 8:00:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I wonder what ever happened to the pro-Chechen crowd awhile back? Remember that poor Russian soldier getting his head cut off? Hmmmmmm....
View Quote
Yeah, all the pro-Chechen types have been quiet since 9/11 because the Chechens are Muslim and maybe 9/11 made some realize that the Russians weren't necessarily the bad guys.  I see no difference in the Chechens, the Taliban, and PLO.
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 10:49:10 PM EDT
[#5]
And to think NATO wasted all those good bombs on Belgrade.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top