Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2006 10:57:22 AM EDT
Hi guys.  I've had a very nasty experience with Cheaper Than Dirt.  I ordered two Glock Entrenching folding shovel tools.  Without telling me, they only shipped one of the items, and after I received it I got an e-mail saying they couldn't fulfill the full order.

This is the item I ordered two of:  www.cheaperthandirt.com/39792-47306-520.html

I asked them to substitute the following item, as it appeared identical but had a 5 dollar higher price:  www.cheaperthandirt.com/12961-13893-520.html

First the customer service representative said it wasn't the same shovel, then after further pressing he said it is the model that comes with some sheath holder for the shovel.

I said since they charged my card for two of the shovels, they should just substitute the one with the sheath and honor the order.  He refused.  I said, then break up the set of shovel and sheath and then just ship me the shovel for the price I've already paid.  He refused.  I threatened to complain about my treatment on ar15.com and to report him to my state attorney general and also the Better Business Bureau.  The guy I was talking to denies engaging in poor business practices and also CANCELLED my 1 year paid membership to Cheaper Than Dirt.  I had paid for the membership that is defined here:  www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctdclub-19872-20.html

I think this is ridiculous, horrible customer support and business ethics, and cancelling my paid membership in retaliation has to be some kind of a crime.  It's bad form to charge for an order an not fulfill it.  Good ethics dictate not charging until the order is fulfilled, contacting before shipment to make sure the customer wants half an order (there is the issue of wasted s/h fees in having to make seperate orders or having to deal with more than one vendor) or coming to some accomodation. That's my opinion in this matter.What do you all think?  The following is the e-mail conversation that ensued:

Subject: RE: Customer Notice
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 13:24:17 -0500

Mark,

We can go round and round with this.

But here are the facts:

1)       As soon as we discovered that we were sold out of the item, we refunded your credit card.  Therefore, you have not paid for anything that you did not receive.

2)       We do not have to sell you another similar item for a price lower than what is advertised.

3)       We are not refusing to honor our price on the item you wished to purchase; that item is simply out of stock and cannot be sold.

I am sorry that we did not serve you to your satisfaction.  However, everything that was done was in accordance with state and federal law.

I consider this matter closed.  I will also be closing your account with us as it is quite apparent that we cannot satisfy you.

Sincerely,

Rick Sykes

Call Center Manager

Cheaper Than Dirt!

2524 NE Loop 820

Fort Worth, TX  76106

[email protected]

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Tuesday, August 22, 2006 1:20 PM
To: Rick Sykes

Then you should break apart the two items and send me the glock e-tool part, for the price that I was already charged.

There is legal precedent that when a credit card is charged, that price must be honored.

Furthermore, fulfilling my order wouldn't be hard to do at all.

When this story gets spread on the ar15.com forums, I doubt it will garner a lot of goodwill for your company.  I will also file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, and contact my state Attorney General.

I will wait to hear back from you before I do this.

Rick Sykes <[email protected]> wrote:

Mark,

I am the manager and we will not sell that item for a discounted price.

I am sorry I couldn't oblige you.

Rick Sykes

Call Center Manager

Cheaper Than Dirt!

2524 NE Loop 820

Fort Worth, TX  76106

[email protected]

Sent: Tuesday, August 22, 2006 11:47 AM

Contact your manager and see if they will substitute that item for the one that was unfulfilled in my original order.

Mark,

I found out that item 12961 is actually different in that it includes a pouch for the shovel.  I noticed that this is not in the description and I will contact our Merchandising Manager to have it amended.

Thank you.

Rick Sykes

Call Center Manager

Cheaper Than Dirt!

2524 NE Loop 820

Fort Worth, TX  76106

[email protected]

Sent: Tuesday, August 22, 2006 11:19 AM

It appears identical, as does the description, what is the difference?

The manufacturer # is ET17170, and the one I received is 17169

Mark,

I apologize, I didn't understand your request.  However, if you are referring to item 12961, this is not the same entrenching tool.  If not, please let me know the item number.

Thank you.

Rick Sykes

Call Center Manager

Cheaper Than Dirt!

2524 NE Loop 820

Fort Worth, TX  76106

[email protected]

Sent: Tuesday, August 22, 2006 11:06 AM

I didn't ask for free merchandise.

I asked that you honor the price that my credit card was charged for.  That glock tool is still in stock, it's just a new model number with a new price 5 dollars higher.  I just asked that they honor the price they charged my card and not charge any more shipping than I was already charged.

Mark,

I apologize for this matter.  However, from time to time, we do encounter situations in which the warehouse has sold out of stock or the stock has been depleted.  In these cases, we immediately refund the cost of the item back to the customer.

This is how we handled your order.  Again, I apologize for the matter, however, we do not feel it necessary to give you free merchandise as a repayment.

Thank you.

Rick Sykes

Call Center Manager

Cheaper Than Dirt!

2524 NE Loop 820

Fort Worth, TX  76106

[email protected]

Sent: Monday, August 21, 2006 2:34 PM
To: Customer Service
Subject: Re: Customer Notice

Since the item was listed as in stock, AND they charged my card for both items, I believe that cheaperthandirt should give me the Glock Entrenching Tool that you do have in stock, for the same price, and without charging anymore shipping fees.

Customer Service <[email protected]> wrote:

Re: Order Number:  3502068

MARK,

We have been notified by the drop ship warehouse that the following item was unable to ship on your order due to depletion of inventory.  If payment was made by personal check it has been returned along with your order form.  If payment was made by money order or cashiers check a refund check will follow by mail.

ITEM #39792 x 1

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused and look forward to serving you again in the future.

Sincerely,

Cheaper Than Dirt!
Internet Department

Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:02:18 AM EDT
[#1]
They sold out of the first item and refunded your money. I dont see what the problem is. If you do not want the other item with the sheath for the higher price then do not buy it. It is that simple.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:04:57 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm with Bob. Make sure they refund your membership fee (pro-rated WRT the remaining months) and move on.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:05:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:13:40 AM EDT
[#4]
entitlement mentality. herd mentality. mooooooo
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:41:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top