Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/22/2006 10:58:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/22/2006 11:00:24 AM EDT by hitanrun]
Hi guys. I've had a very nasty experience with Cheaper Than Dirt. I ordered two Glock Entrenching folding shovel tools. Without telling me, they only shipped one of the items, and after I received it I got an e-mail saying they couldn't fulfill the full order.

This is the item I ordered two of: www.cheaperthandirt.com/39792-47306-520.html

I asked them to substitute the following item, as it appeared identical but had a 5 dollar higher price: www.cheaperthandirt.com/12961-13893-520.html

First the customer service representative said it wasn't the same shovel, then after further pressing he said it is the model that comes with some sheath holder for the shovel.

I said since they charged my card for two of the shovels, they should just substitute the one with the sheath and honor the order. He refused. I said, then break up the set of shovel and sheath and then just ship me the shovel for the price I've already paid. He refused. I threatened to complain about my treatment on ar15.com and to report him to my state attorney general and also the Better Business Bureau. The guy I was talking to denies engaging in poor business practices and also CANCELLED my 1 year paid membership to Cheaper Than Dirt. I had paid for the membership that is defined here: www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctdclub-19872-20.html

I think this is ridiculous, horrible customer support and business ethics, and cancelling my paid membership in retaliation has to be some kind of a crime. What do you all think? The following is the e-mail conversation that ensued:

Subject: RE: Customer Notice
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 13:24:17 -0500

Mark,

We can go round and round with this.

But here are the facts:

1) As soon as we discovered that we were sold out of the item, we refunded your credit card. Therefore, you have not paid for anything that you did not receive.

2) We do not have to sell you another similar item for a price lower than what is advertised.

3) We are not refusing to honor our price on the item you wished to purchase; that item is simply out of stock and cannot be sold.

I am sorry that we did not serve you to your satisfaction. However, everything that was done was in accordance with state and federal law.

I consider this matter closed. I will also be closing your account with us as it is quite apparent that we cannot satisfy you.

Sincerely,

Rick Sykes

Call Center Manager

Cheaper Than Dirt!

2524 NE Loop 820

Fort Worth, TX 76106

rick@cheaperthandirt.com

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Tuesday, August 22, 2006 1:20 PM
To: Rick Sykes

Then you should break apart the two items and send me the glock e-tool part, for the price that I was already charged.

There is legal precedent that when a credit card is charged, that price must be honored.

Furthermore, fulfilling my order wouldn't be hard to do at all.

When this story gets spread on the ar15.com forums, I doubt it will garner a lot of goodwill for your company. I will also file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, and contact my state Attorney General.

I will wait to hear back from you before I do this.

Rick Sykes <Rick@cheaperthandirt.com> wrote:

Mark,

I am the manager and we will not sell that item for a discounted price.

I am sorry I couldn't oblige you.

Rick Sykes

Call Center Manager

Cheaper Than Dirt!

2524 NE Loop 820

Fort Worth, TX 76106

rick@cheaperthandirt.com

Sent: Tuesday, August 22, 2006 11:47 AM

Contact your manager and see if they will substitute that item for the one that was unfulfilled in my original order.

Mark,

I found out that item 12961 is actually different in that it includes a pouch for the shovel. I noticed that this is not in the description and I will contact our Merchandising Manager to have it amended.

Thank you.

Rick Sykes

Call Center Manager

Cheaper Than Dirt!

2524 NE Loop 820

Fort Worth, TX 76106

rick@cheaperthandirt.com

Sent: Tuesday, August 22, 2006 11:19 AM

It appears identical, as does the description, what is the difference?

The manufacturer # is ET17170, and the one I received is 17169

Mark,

I apologize, I didn't understand your request. However, if you are referring to item 12961, this is not the same entrenching tool. If not, please let me know the item number.

Thank you.

Rick Sykes

Call Center Manager

Cheaper Than Dirt!

2524 NE Loop 820

Fort Worth, TX 76106

rick@cheaperthandirt.com

Sent: Tuesday, August 22, 2006 11:06 AM

I didn't ask for free merchandise.

I asked that you honor the price that my credit card was charged for. That glock tool is still in stock, it's just a new model number with a new price 5 dollars higher. I just asked that they honor the price they charged my card and not charge any more shipping than I was already charged.

Mark,

I apologize for this matter. However, from time to time, we do encounter situations in which the warehouse has sold out of stock or the stock has been depleted. In these cases, we immediately refund the cost of the item back to the customer.

This is how we handled your order. Again, I apologize for the matter, however, we do not feel it necessary to give you free merchandise as a repayment.

Thank you.

Rick Sykes

Call Center Manager

Cheaper Than Dirt!

2524 NE Loop 820

Fort Worth, TX 76106

rick@cheaperthandirt.com

Sent: Monday, August 21, 2006 2:34 PM
To: Customer Service
Subject: Re: Customer Notice

Since the item was listed as in stock, AND they charged my card for both items, I believe that cheaperthandirt should give me the Glock Entrenching Tool that you do have in stock, for the same price, and without charging anymore shipping fees.

Customer Service <CustomerService@cheaperthandirt.com> wrote:

Re: Order Number: 3502068

MARK,

We have been notified by the drop ship warehouse that the following item was unable to ship on your order due to depletion of inventory. If payment was made by personal check it has been returned along with your order form. If payment was made by money order or cashiers check a refund check will follow by mail.

ITEM #39792 x 1

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused and look forward to serving you again in the future.

Sincerely,

Cheaper Than Dirt!
Internet Department

Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:02:49 AM EDT
sorry to hear you have issues, I've done hundreds of dollars worth of business with CTD with no complaints
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:03:52 AM EDT
Simple solution:

They claim to have refunded your money. If they have, spend $5 more and order the other item.

Of course, thats not really an option now, since you decided to go apeshit and threaten people over a $5 difference in price.

But hey, what do I know.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:04:46 AM EDT

Originally Posted By JFP:
sorry to hear you have issues, I've done hundreds of dollars worth of business with CTD with no complaints

Yeah, I had previously spend about 600 dollars with them. I don't know why they wouldn't want to make their customers happy, and I think their ethics in this instance are poor and probably illegal.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:04:58 AM EDT
How many different forums are you going to post about this in? I see two on the first page of active topics at the moment.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:06:14 AM EDT
I bet the Avilas just love the "I'm gonna tell everyone on AR15.com about this!!" thing.

So, they sent you one of what you wanted, and refunded your credit card for the price of the other. IF they're also refunding the $30 you paid for the membership, then quit bitching and just don't shop there again.

If they didn't refund the $30, then that's something to complain about. But, like any other merchant, they have the right to choose not to do business with you.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:06:38 AM EDT

Originally Posted By hitanrun:

Yeah, I had previously spend about 600 dollars with them. I don't know why they wouldn't want to make their customers happy, and I think their ethics in this instance are poor and probably illegal.

Ok, that is the silliest thing I have read all day. They refunded your money, they were out of stock, HOW did they break the law?

Why do you think they should be punished by giving you a more expensive item for the same money?

Bob
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:06:41 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ElCamino:
Simple solution:

They claim to have refunded your money. If they have, spend $5 more and order the other item.

Of course, thats not really an option now, since you decided to go apeshit and threaten people over a $5 difference in price.

But hey, what do I know.

Yeah. What he said.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:06:58 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Ky_Bob:
How many different forums are you going to post about this in? I see two on the first page of active topics at the moment.

In the legal section and the GD, is that against the rules?
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:07:37 AM EDT

Ok, that is the silliest thing I have read all day. They refunded your money, they were out of stock, HOW did they break the law?

Why do you think they should be punished by giving you a more expensive item for the same money?

Bob

I think they broke the law by cancelling my paid membership in retaliation.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:08:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/22/2006 11:10:07 AM EDT by DK-Prof]
If they charged your for something they didn't deliver - and refused to refund you the money for the one they didn't send - then they are thieves, and you SHOULD be pissed off.

If you are getting all torqued up over the fact that they wouldn't substitute an item for something else that you happen to have ordered right when they ran out of stock - then you are over-reacting and should relax.

Sounds to me like you have a problem dealing with the "sorry, we ran out of stock" reality (but maybe I misunderstood).

eta: having read the entire record of emails again, I think your behavior and threats very quickly became juvenile.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:08:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/22/2006 11:09:36 AM EDT by PBIR]
Just like I said in your duplicate post, make sure they refund your membership fee (pro-rated WRT the remaining months) and move on. They refunded your money for the unshipped merchandise, you've got no leg to stand on in that matter.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:10:40 AM EDT
I think they are right and they can't make you happy.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:12:09 AM EDT
What exactly did they do wrong?

They refunded your money on an item that they ran out of. What's the big deal?
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:12:37 AM EDT
hitanrun

your wrong....get over it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:14:45 AM EDT
MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY!!!1
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:14:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/22/2006 11:16:36 AM EDT by hitanrun]

Originally Posted By Old_Painless:

It's bad form to charge for an order an not fulfill it.

Good ethics dictate not charging until the order is fulfilled, contacting before shipment to make sure the customer wants half an order (there is the issue of wasted s/h fees in having to make seperate orders or having to deal with more than one vendor) or coming to some accomodation. That's my opinion in this matter.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:15:58 AM EDT

Originally Posted By gjg:
hitanrun

your wrong....get over it.

Seriously....talk about over-reacting. I would have done the same thing if I were CTD.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:16:33 AM EDT
If they do cancel your membership, ask for a refund for that, too.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:17:01 AM EDT
I mean, it's not like they said they were out of stock, the put the same exact item at a higher price and suddenly "in stock." I mean, that would be like Sportsmans Guide....
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:19:46 AM EDT
I ordered a case of ammo from them that never showed up. After getting nowhere with FedEx after numerous attempts (perhaps I should have threatened to go to AR15.com with the story), I finally contacted Cheaper Than Dirt. They reshipped the order, no charge, no questions asked. That customer service is about as good as it gets in my book. I'll be continuing to give them my business...
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:20:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/22/2006 11:21:34 AM EDT by DK-Prof]

Good ethics dictate not charging until the order is fulfilled, contacting before shipment to make sure the customer wants half an order (there is the issue of wasted s/h fees in having to make seperate orders or having to deal with more than one vendor) or coming to some accomodation. That's my opinion in this matter.

Yes - and if you had bought an entrenching tool from Nieman Marcus, you would undoubtedly have received that level of excellent service.

However, when choosing to buy from a place that is literally called "Cheaper Than Dirt" you really should not have high expectations about absolutely stellar customer service. After all, if they charge very low prices, the money has to come from somewhere, right? If you want great service, you usually have to pay a little more.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:21:34 AM EDT
Why not just pay the extra $5 and get another shovel? All that arguing hasn't done you any good except getting your membership cancelled.....
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:22:24 AM EDT
Much ado about nothing IMHO.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:22:43 AM EDT

It's bad form to charge for an order an not fulfill it.

Well, there you have it.

You have an opinion. They have an opinion.

They happen to be different.

Go your seperate ways and live happily ever after.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:23:15 AM EDT

Originally Posted By DK-Prof:

Yes - and if you had bought an entrenching tool from Nieman Marcus, you would undoubtedly have received that level of excellent service.

However, when choosing to buy from a place that is literally called "Cheaper Than Dirt" you really should not have high expectations about absolutely stellar customer service. After all, if they charge very low prices, the money has to come from somewhere, right? If you want great service, you usually have to pay a little more.

So if I rent a car from Wrent-A-Wreck , I shoulddn't ask for a refund if the car breaks down? Wonderful logic
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:23:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/22/2006 11:25:10 AM EDT by topknot]
Given the info provided by YOU...

They were right, you were WRONG in regards to your original transaction.

As to canceling your membership, they probably figured you were more trouble than you were worth and decided to "fire" you as a customer - which is their right.

ps - in the future, don't sully a site with the upstanding reputation that AR15.COM has, when you have been a "member" for a grand total of 3 months and won't even pony up for a $24 subscription.

You should write him back and apologize, now.

PPS - This thread didn't go exactly as you'd planned, did it?
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:24:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/22/2006 11:27:08 AM EDT by texas1138]

Holy shit.... I can't breath!!

Edit: Ok better now.....man I'm not sure why that was so funny to me........
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:25:01 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:26:26 AM EDT

So if I rent a car from Wrent-A-Wreck , I shoulddn't ask for a refund if the car breaks down? Wonderful logic

His logic is fine. Yours sucks. He's talking about the customer service, and you're confusing that with the quality of the product when you talk about the "car breaks down". Is there something wrong with the shovel you received? No. It's the customer service you're complaining about, and if you expect Nieman Marcus customer service from CTD (or from most any other discount catalog retailer), you're bound to be sorely disappointed.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:26:48 AM EDT

Originally Posted By topknot:
Given the info provided by YOU...

They were right, you were WRONG in regards to your original transaction.

As to canceling your membership, they probably figured you were more trouble than you were worth and decided to "fire" you as a customer - which is their right.

ps - in the future, don't sully a site with the upstanding reputation that AR15.COM has, when you have been a "member" for a grand total of 3 months and won't even pony up for a $24 subscription.

You should write him back and apologize, now.

PPS - This thread didn't go exactly as you'd planned, did it?

It's not about "going as I planned" - I'm here soliciting opinions as I stated. I pretty much felt I was right, but it's always wise to seek some other perspectives.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:27:51 AM EDT

Why does this sound oddly familiar?

Didn't someone recently post a nearly-identical story a few months back?
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:28:27 AM EDT
If you are gonna play the catalog order ( online or phone ) game ...... sometimes you are gonna lose & the house wins.

Thats why I hardly ever order anything from a catalog / magazine company.

In the future ... if the 1st representative is not co-operative with your demands, instead of blowing any chance at a remedy ... simply call back alittle while later in hopes of the 2nd person who answers the call does see things your way.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:28:43 AM EDT

I do not think that word means what you think it means
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:29:16 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Zaphod:

Well it wasn't me. This is the first time I've complained about CTD's actions.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:30:56 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:31:13 AM EDT
Sorry H&R but if you paid for and received part of your order and they refunded the charge for what you did not receive then they have done what they are legally required to do. If they have refunded your "membership" fee then they are well within their rights to choose not to do business with you in the future.

That being said, I stopped doing business with them more than two years ago for similar nonsense. In the mid-90s I was ordering well over $2000/year from them (mostly ammo) with no problems. A few years ago I had a series of orders where the items were not as described (G.I. vs Knock-off, size, qty., etc.) and BS like accepting a huge order and cancelling most of it. One day I just quit looking at the catalog and spent my money elsewhere. I Suggest you do the same.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:32:01 AM EDT

I do not think that word means what you think it means

Inconceivable!!

Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:32:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/22/2006 11:32:33 AM EDT by kill-9]
You get no sympathy from me. CtD refunded the money for that which they could not fulfill.

Furthermore, you've tried dragging the Avilas and the good name of ar15.com into this contractual dispute between you and another private party. That's *at best* inconsiderate. AR15.com is not some stick for you to wield against someone with whom you have a disagreement.

If I were Site Staff I would consider banning you.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:32:43 AM EDT

If you keep spamming the board with this story, I get the feeling that another membership of yours will be cancelled soon.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:33:57 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 82ndAbn:
I'll never figure out why trolls bring attention to themselves like this.

A quick IP check shows this user's other account has been banned.

Locked :: 4/13/2006 4:26:16 PM ::

By definition, they're not very bright.

Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:34:38 AM EDT

By definition, they're not very bright.

I must be psychic.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:34:39 AM EDT

Bingo. Has to be a BS story, then.

SAME FRIGGIN' STORY AS BEFORE. Product out of stock, cancelled membership, whining bitch.

Hmmmm..... Time to flip through CTD's catalog and make an order. I'm sure I'll find something I need.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:34:41 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Nimrod1193:

If you keep spamming the board with this story, I get the feeling that another membership of yours will be cancelled soon.

Too late.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:35:17 AM EDT
Are you actually out ANY money at all? Did you merely get 1 less shovel than you wanted?
If you are out no money and missing only 1 shovel, then you are over reacting. Period.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:35:59 AM EDT

Originally Posted By kill-9:
You get no sympathy from me. CtD refunded the money for that which they could not fulfill.

Furthermore, you've tried dragging the Avilas and the good name of ar15.com into this contractual dispute between you and another private party. That's *at best* inconsiderate. AR15.com is not some stick for you to wield against someone with whom you have a disagreement.

If I were Site Staff I would consider banning you.

hahaha, he's already been banned, this is his troll account, haha. This is the funniest thread I have seen in a long while.

What a maroon!
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:42:51 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:43:08 AM EDT

There was one just recently IRT someone who CTD had deemed as a 'Dealer Acct'.
due to the volume of ammo he had ordered.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:50:58 AM EDT
I can't believe my eyes! The NERVE!

CTD doesn't have to honor the charge to your credit card. They did it right, they filled what they could of your order then refunded the balance. Then, like a good company does, they apologized. You got your money back.

You could've simply asked how long it would take for a backorder, and then moved on accordingly. Instead you jumped into petty argument mode, while they stayed civil.

You think you're entitled to shit on a company because they refused to drop to their knees and juggle your nuts like you want? Get over it. Take your refunded money and move on.

And for future reference, don't drag arfcom's good name through the mud with you the next time you throw a tantrum. We're not here to be your bargaining chip.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:52:47 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SHIPSNIPE1:

There was one just recently IRT someone who CTD had deemed as a 'Dealer Acct'.
due to the volume of ammo he had ordered.

If we're thinking of the same thing, I believe that was Sportsman's Guide, not CTD.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:56:12 AM EDT
Quite pathetic.Threaten to call the BBB because they ran out
of stock on an item.(THAT THEY REFUNDED YOU FOR!)
Grow up.I've ordered from CTD many times.I have yet to be dissapointed.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top