Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/8/2006 5:38:34 AM EDT
I've been invited to BBQs a few times that the hosts asked me to bring whatever I wanted to BBQ.  I politely declined to attend. When I have a dinner function, be it a fish fry, gumbo, BBQ or anything else I always supply everything.  It just doesn't seem right to have guests bring anything except maybe a special drink that they like. Heck, I supply the whiskey and cigars as long as they like what I have.

Does this seem like a chickenshit invitation, to ask that you bring your own food?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:44:39 AM EDT
[#1]
If you are invited to my house as my guest means I pay.  If I am at your house and you invited me you pay.  I will always bring some small gift such as a bottle of wine or a basket of fruit.  Makes sense to me.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:04:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Bring your own BBQ depends on the event...

If it's a party where there are going to be alot of strangers present (eg 'everyone's invited, bring your own meat - office, school, or unit events), or a where you just want to see what each of your friends can cook up (try some of mine, I'll try some of yours) it can be good...

If you're just trying to duck out of paying for a party, that's something else...
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:08:07 AM EDT
[#3]
If they are hosting, they supply. Unless its a BYOB (bring yer' own beef) BBQ.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:19:43 AM EDT
[#4]
A side dish at the most, maybe beer or something small. Asking someone to bring the meat to the BBQ is just tacky.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:35:17 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Does this seem like a chickenshit invitation, to ask that you bring your own food?

Absolutely! When we invite people I tell them what I'm serving, both food and beverage wise, and if they want something else to bring it and I'll grill it or ice it down as appropriate.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:41:49 AM EDT
[#6]
I just had a friend suggest a BBQ at my place. I would normally pay but I at least appreciate some chips -n- dip or a little something. I do have a grillers fee of BEER! I am actually happy they requested a BBQ cause my grill is shot and the wife agreed on a stainless model that I get to pick up tomorrow!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top