Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2002 7:05:48 PM EDT
I finally got a grill and now I'm looking for a good source of steak.  I went to the grocery store and decided I wasn't hungry for steak after I saw the prices.  They wanted $7 to $8 a pound for choice steak.  I tried finding some on the internet and the cheapest I came up with was $10 a pound before shipping.

I finally found a steak that was a day from the sales expiration date and was 20% off, so I bought that one.  Does anyone know of a good supplier for steak?
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 7:10:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Sneak, sneak, sneak... moo....  [b][size=5]BANG![/size=5][/b]
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 7:11:30 PM EDT
[#2]
20% off?  That's still expensive.  I usually stock-up when I see it past the expiration date and >50% off.  If you cook it or freeze it immediately, the meat is fine.z
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 7:14:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

There's a beef farm about 2 miles away from me.  Anyone got a truck?
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 7:16:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I like Cosco's or Sam Club's.  They tend to be thickly cut -  the way I like them.  The price is about $5-6/lb for top loin.  
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 7:16:51 PM EDT
[#5]
SWIRE,
I suspect it depends on where you live... I drive a few miles out into the country to a store that purchases beef (cow) from local ranchers... The meat is half the price of local supermarkets.
Don't let the "managers special" tag fool you... The meat is perfectly good and maybe better. All good places age their beef.
Sam's club has pretty goood prices on meat.

Get a hunting permit. Deer is good for you an unless you want to get fancy with deer sausage or something... It's costs the price of the permit (fixed cost,) gas, and a bullet.

I'm serious though... The out of date, managers special stuff is fine if not better. Most people equate red as better... It's not (so I've been told,) aged is better. It's what I buy when I want cow. Mo !
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 7:20:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

hahhahahaha i was gonna say that!
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 7:21:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I like Cosco's or Sam Club's.  They tend to be thickly cut -  the way I like them.  The price is about $5-6/lb for top loin.  
View Quote

That is Top Sirloin aka Top Butt, Sailor.  My employer supplies Costco with a good portion of their beef.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 7:28:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Homeland here in Tulsa has a deal where they put "out of date steak" with 1,2 or more One dollar off stickers. The meat actually tastes better than the "fresh stuff"! Yum...I go by every day or so just to shop out of date steak for the freezer![B)] I like 1 pound ribeyes for 6 or 7  dollars!!
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 7:34:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Believe it or not Albertsons in my area has some good deals.  Sometimes they have buy 1 get 1 free specials.  Thats when I load up.  Some of the guys at work go in together and buy a cow from a rancher and have it slaughtered.  No clue what that costs.  I will ask around.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 9:35:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Invest in a chest freezer and buy half or whole beef cow from a farm (usually advertised).  Slaughter houses will usually do the rest by picking up live cows, butchering and packaging them.  All you do is set an appointment to pick up the packaged meat.

It's easier to team up with someone to split the difference.  Get price quotes for picking up the cow and the slauther/packaging process...They charge by the pound (live weight).  It's still cheaper than the supermarket and the meat is a whole lot fresher.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 9:41:10 PM EDT
[#11]
My wife's best friend in PA buys a side of beef from a neighbor who raises cattle.  Down here in Texas it's not unheard of doing the same.

My wife and I tend to just buy our meat from Kroger with their Kroger Advantage card.  Last night we bought 3 NY Strips that were marked for $24.89, and got them for just over $11.  They were thick cut and darn good off the grill.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 9:45:17 PM EDT
[#12]
heres my secret
1)Cosco tri-tips steaks 3.69 pound
2) simmer up a BBQ or a marinade sauce until hot
3)put two or three steak into a 1 pound zip lock bag, add hot sauce, its cooks into the fat, thats the secret.
4) let it sit in the fridge for three days, or freeze the rest
5) BBQ and enjoy, you'll find they'll be one of the BEST steaks you ever had, I get rave reviews to the point it bugs me, try it.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 10:25:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I'm serious though... The out of date, managers special stuff is fine if not better. Most people equate red as better... It's not (so I've been told,) aged is better. It's what I buy when I want cow. Mo !
View Quote

around here, the old timers talk about hanging deer till you have to scrape a layer of green off the carcass. thats y no one complaines if thier processor takes a good month to get your meat cut.

as for steak if you can fine sams club "tenderloin" steak it is soo great. its expensive but you will never look at a cow the same way again. the cuts are small but thick and man o man is if beef heaven. whenever i see a cow all i think about is cutting into that thick juicy steak.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 10:27:56 PM EDT
[#14]
oh yah, steak may seem expensive, but just compair it. my tenderloin steak costs about as much as a hamburger at a restraunt. add a potato and you have a meal that blows the avrage restaunt away.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 10:31:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

forget the truck, just get out your field knife and carve out a few steaks quick, then go home.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 10:38:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

no officer, thats a black angus deer
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 10:45:31 PM EDT
[#17]
... There's only one choice for "choice" here:
[url]http://shop.store.yahoo.com/midwesternmeats/[/url]
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 11:14:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

forget the truck, just get out your field knife and carve out a few steaks quick, then go home.
View Quote

Just do it surgically so they claim it's one of those alien cattle mutilations. [(:|)]
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 11:25:50 PM EDT
[#19]
About 6 months ago, I was shopping at the local Jewel. I'm standing in line, watching 2 employees take package after package of meat out of a cart filled to overflowing with nothing but meat. They scanned each package and then put it in another cart. I asked the checker whay they were doing, and she told me they were totaling up the expired meat, prior to disposal.
Ever since then, I've been tempted to check out the dumpsters in the back.
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 1:14:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Ever heard of cow tippin?Just dont let it back up.

You can buy cheaper cuts like london broil and marinate.A little coke or pepsi in a zip lock bag for a few hours does it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top