Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/27/2005 10:50:30 PM EDT
Every ten years my mother makes it a point to take the whole famn damily to Disney World. This time she has four grand-children going so she has been planning this trip like she's invading Normandy D(isney) Day is next week so she has aquired extra cell phones for inter-family communications, but I'm thinking the bill will be HUGE!

I recently purchased (well, got on clearance with gift card = FREE) four cheapy Midland 2-ways from Sportsmans Warehouse. I got them for camping, mountain biking, multi-car road trips etc..., but was wondering if they would be worth taking to WDW.

They claim a 10 mile range (I know, it's 10 miles on open water), and they are kinda fun to mess with around the hood. Sometimes I'll listen to the neighboor kids talking on other radios, ranchers checking livestock, and the occasional cordless phone call can be heard. Am I gonna be picking up other people's 2-ways in the park? It might be fun to hear the Disney gestapo, but I'm assuming they have a high end FCC thing happening.

Anyway, any one ever go this route? It might be kind of fun harassing my mother by setting up a command post in her hotel room, but will they work worth a damn?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:13:43 PM EDT
[#1]
They should be almost usable, if you turn on the privacy code.

WDW is definitely a high-background-noise environment, so earphones probably wouldn't be a bad idea, either.

Speaking from personal experience, I can predict that your mother will turn her radio off, stick it in her purse, and then wonder why it doesn't work.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:16:02 PM EDT
[#2]
You will find that there are so many people using that kind of radio in crowded areas that you will be sharing any channel with 10-15 other useres, and odds are at leats one will be an oncosiderate ass who likes to talk all over your transmissions or even jam you on purpose.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:24:42 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
You will find that there are so many people using that kind of radio in crowded areas that you will be sharing any channel with 10-15 other useres, and odds are at leats one will be an oncosiderate ass who likes to talk all over your transmissions or even jam you on purpose.

I figured as much. These are low end radios w/o privacy codes. We've got 22 channels though
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:28:13 PM EDT
[#4]

Speaking from personal experience, I can predict that your mother will turn her radio off, stick it in her purse, and then wonder why it doesn't work.

LOL.....that's so true it's not really funny....
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:42:00 AM EDT
[#5]
bump for the "daywalkers"....
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:45:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Hope its not Gay Day there during your trip  

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:47:10 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

....not that there's anything wrong with that.....
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:47:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:55:59 AM EDT
[#9]
we just used our celfones. bill wasn't bad but we didn't spend hours conversing; mostly "where you at?" and "we'll meet you at the so-and-so ride in 20 minutes"...
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:01:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Just make sure that when you get to the park that you pick out some spots to meet up at certain times.  Also make sure that the children know to go up to the park staff if they get seperated.  And if the kids get lost around lunch time they usually will get fed.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:03:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Sounds like the cell-phone idea wins.

Cross talk would annoy the crap out of me, I'd probally wind up saying something that "wasn't in the spirit of Disney" and get tossed from the park,,,

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:08:59 AM EDT
[#12]
I took some TalkAbouts with us a few years ago.  They worked fairly well even though lots of other people are using them as well.  Don't expect to be the only one on that frequency.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:17:57 AM EDT
[#13]
I have used some of these cheaper two way radios and always get cross talk.  I was in Canada fishing where they bring you out in a house boat.  I thought I was miles away from everyone and still had cross talk.

And yes there will be alot of people with the same idea at Disney.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:31:19 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Every ten years my mother makes it a point to take the whole famn damily to Disney World. This time she has four grand-children going so she has been planning this trip like she's invading Normandyhug.gif D(isney) Day is next week so she has aquired extra cell phones for inter-family communications,

I've gone with large family groups before. The first day the talkies are fun but then it turns into a pain in the ass due to lack of range and being inside buildings most times.
Cell phones are much better but still gets to be a pain in the ass worrying about getting it wet and you don't want it ringing during a show, unless you're one of those a-holes that talk during a show.hat
Check out: www.disboards.com/ for more DW trip tips.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 11:36:25 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

....not that there's anything wrong with that.....

after all whats wrong with a little deviant behaviour between friends...[barf]

I like my GMRE FRS radios 22 channels and MANY privacy codes
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top