Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/5/2005 10:48:50 PM EDT
We bought/moved into our first house on July first, and there was coaxial cables in two rooms. After a couple days I decided to hook up to them just to see if I'd get some TV reception and found that we have cable TV. My first thought was that it just hadn't been shut off yet from the previous owners, but now I have to wonder if it's one of those illegal/unknown hookups. I've never had cable, so I'm not really up on how it all works.
While pondering that, I saw just the end of a commercial that said Charter is offering cable internet for $15 per month. SBC doesn't have DSL in this area, so I had to go back to dial-up when we moved here.

Here's my quandry; Do I ...........

A. Call Charter to ask about the internet, knowing that it could lead to something about the cable being on here?

B. Call Charter and ask why I have cable service, leaving the internet question for later?

C. Just shut up and see what happens? (Such as if the previous owners had paid ahead it'll get shut off when the time is up).
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:50:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/5/2005 10:51:47 PM EDT by Ineedhelp]
Keep it up until it goes off...... Your not stealing if you didnt steal it.

Get DSL or something for Internet.

Problem solved.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:59:59 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Ineedhelp:

Problem solved.

You missed the line where I wrote that I had to give up my DSL because it isn't offered in this area. I only moved 14 miles, but it's 14 miles further away from St. Louis which means it's more rural and has fewer city amenities.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 11:02:24 PM EDT

Originally Posted By GoGop:

Originally Posted By Ineedhelp:

Problem solved.

You missed the line where I wrote that I had to give up my DSL because it isn't offered in this area. I only moved 14 miles, but it's 14 miles further away from St. Louis which means it's more rural and has fewer city amenities.

Oops....

Sat net connection has come a long way......
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 11:08:07 PM EDT
If you know someone who has internet with them, get them to add another modem to there acocunt and just pay them the monthly internet fee.... The MAC address that they need off the modem can be on ANY account and work at ANY location where that cable system is.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 11:36:37 PM EDT
Quite simply, if you're using a pay service and not paying for it you're swiping it. Not saying that's good or bad, but that's the way it is. They will find out you're using it and they will request you sign up or lose it.

Could be like the electricity, they usually leave it on until someone uses it.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 12:02:21 AM EDT
Hmm, satellite is expensive, and I don't know anyone with Charter that I could hook up with so I guess that's out too. I half-way agree with hoppy that using it is stealing it, but I also agree with ineedhelp that I didn't do anything to make this happen so I'm not responsible. All I did was hook up to something that was already there when we moved in. Am I just rationalizing theft? Maybe so. Maybe I'll go with option A and see what happens.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 12:05:55 AM EDT
Alot of cable companies will leave a lince "active" just for the purpose of someone new moving in. There will be a certain date in there system that will send a tech out to unhook it if no one calls in to get cable services. Generally 30 days from when the last person called in to have it turned off.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 12:48:39 AM EDT

Originally Posted By FieroLoki:
Alot of cable companies will leave a lince "active" just for the purpose of someone new moving in. There will be a certain date in there system that will send a tech out to unhook it if no one calls in to get cable services. Generally 30 days from when the last person called in to have it turned off.

I guess this is kind of "freebie" to the new owners of the house, to see if they want the cable TV. To me personally, for me free-TV is more than adequate for most purposes. I can't see paying those enoumous cable-TV fees.
Top Top