BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Posted: 8/12/2011 2:37:46 AM EDT
The Washington Post
8/12/2011

The system works
By Charles Krauthammer

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/the-system-works/2011/08/11/gIQAKPXc9I_story.html

Dear frends:
Please read the article before posting, it's well worth your time.
Regards,
FRIZ
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 2:41:34 AM EDT
[#1]
He's correct. Especially the last few paragraphs.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 2:46:31 AM EDT
[#2]
I would agree. Trends take time. Those hoping for overnight stuff have been watching too many movies.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 2:46:51 AM EDT
[#3]
"The conventional complaint is that the process was ugly. Big deal. You want beauty? Go to a museum."

Yep when you take the time to step back and look at what has happened since last November it put things in perspective. Hey only two more branches of gov to go.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 2:55:10 AM EDT
[#4]
In the context he framed he's correct.

I don't think we're operating as intended on alot of issues, but there's no need to get into that considering we do it time and time again in GD.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 3:14:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Krauthammer may be right about the process working.

But take notice about what he doesn't say: do we have enough time left for the aircraft carrier to reverse course?  He admits, and even praises, the lengthy amount of time required to make political course changes.  He doesn't juxtapose that characteristic against the chart of our current position - are the shoals of national bankruptcy so close, and have the progressives driven us forward at such great speed, that a slow turn to starboard now will be too little, too late?

It's the Titanic scenario.  We've been plowing through icy waters at high speed in the darkness.  A new lookout takes over and finally alerts the bridge to the iceberg dead ahead.  They try to reduce speed and change course, but can't make the turn before we hit the 'berg.  Sure, they could see the danger looming, but because of decisions made by the previous watch (decisions that may have intentionally placed the ship in danger), they can't avoid the disaster.

And you can bet that those passengers occupying the ruling class deluxe cabins have already secured seats in the limited number of lifeboats, complete with life-jackets labelled "Barack" and "Michelle", "Nancy" and "Harry" and "George", and so on.  The rest of us will be left to freeze in the open waters as the ship sinks beneath us.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 3:17:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Krauthammer lives in a bubble.

It's pretty hard to unshred something once it has been shredded.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 3:19:54 AM EDT
[#7]
He's wrong.
Fucking wrong.

The underlying problems have not been addressed and will not be addressed.  We've been sold down the river and the system does not allowed for significant correction.
There will be blood in Washington long before they finally grow up and do something that actually addresses underlying issues.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 3:23:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
He's wrong.

Fucking wrong.

The underlying problems have not been addressed and will not be addressed.  We've been sold down the river and the system does not allowed for significant correction.

There will be blood in Washington long before they finally grow up and do something that actually addresses underlying issues.

Yep.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 3:28:10 AM EDT
[#9]
If people were inherently good and wanted what was best for our nation, with a few mistakes along the way, he'd have a good and profound point.

As it is, half our citizens are hellbent on destroying the nation at the expense of the other half. Shut up, Charles, and get back in the trenches, or out of the way. Politics today is a life-or-death issue for our nation.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 3:32:50 AM EDT
[#10]
I admire his writing and his assessment seems pretty accurate throughout most of the article.  However, I think we're still whistling along toward Greece.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 4:18:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Krauthammer's problem is obvious...

The story doesn't begin in 2008. Lest he forget, WTF did 2000-2008 get us? RINOs making it rain instead of Dems! So is that what we're now supposed to be waiting patiently for to return? He can point out all the small victories all he wants. But RINO leadership in Washington is the biggest obsticle to restoring this country's greatness. And as long as they're calling the shots, we're going to get more of the same. I think I'd rather have a split legislature, at least we could count on a certain amount of gridlock...
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 4:23:22 AM EDT
[#12]
*warning* vast generalizations beyond this point

Voters without honor or morals elect leaders without honor or morals and they wonder why there is a big greased up corruption fest going down in D.C. and no one wants to spoil the party.

I see ways to fix our finances and I see people willing to sacrifice a safety net to ensure future generations a solvent nation, what I DON'T see  is a leader in each branch of government willing to put out the message and break the taboo of country over politics.

When you've got all elected members of all branches of government utterly dependent on cash and positive media exposure to stay in office it's no wonder they can't do anything besides maintain the status quo and kick the can down the road. No one is willing to upset the apple cart.

Every now and then I see a flash of statesmanship, but it's quickly snuffed by media backlash.

Just like Michigan or Greece, our dipshits in charge won't cut anything until faced with an absolute threat to their job. Like default.

Charles thinks the battleship can be turned around, I disagree. He discounts my generation and their ignorance, greed, and selfishness.

My generation rode the Regan Recovery and then rode the credit bubble inflation that both  H.W. and W. Bush as well as Clinton inflated.

My generation grew up with MTV, R rated movies, video games, and Saved by the Bell. We hit our teens and had the explosion of cable television to explore and learn what life owed us and how I can't just be me unless I've got the best clothes, cars, and accessories.

My generation came up with computers and the internet. Instant gratification is a way of life for us. Escape from reality was mastered long ago.

My generation has never known a balanced budget, we watched the Gulf War on CNN and never batted an eyelash at the billions of dollars being run up on the Taxpayer Express Black Card.

My generation didn't grow up in the cold war or the Cuban Missile Crisis, our only exposure to the evils of Communism is watching China allow us to borrow and spend ourselves to death.

We grew up as go along/get along, we were the experimental kids for Political Correctness, school uniforms, and school I.D. Badges.

And now we are all 30 something voters. We are middle America. And we are stubborn, selfish pricks who want as much as possible for the least amount of effort possible.

As we lose our jobs some of us smarten up. I for one didn't care anything for politics or economics until I lost my job in 2009. It took a while for the recession to hit me, but it did and I watched it coming.

It changed my life. Now to inspire the rest of a generation.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 4:23:49 AM EDT
[#13]
From 2000 to 2006 the GOP had the keys to the store...
Fannie/ Freddie was not reeled in and spending was business as usual...

I would rather have the mafia running the nation...(The real mafia)
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 4:31:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 9:20:59 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes it does. If 80% of the voting public goes to the polls and votes for candidates that are going to slash government, the course will correct rather swiftly.

That's what's required to make drastic changes in short order. As yet the voters haven't stomped the brakes...but at least they've started applying them.

It took most of the last century to get us into this mess. It will take some time to get out of it. There will be some pain in the interim....but if we take this seriously and do what needs to be done we'll be just fine.

You've certainly always had more faith than me, in a variety of ways.

Politicians have been so used to gathering votes by simply shoving their collective, government tit into the mouths of various groups that it will be impossible to ween them off.  Countless old folks have simply assumed social security will keep coming.  Countless more baby-boomers foolishly sculpted their retirement around social security being a primary supplement over the years.

The responsible will never outnumber the leeches at this point.  In most cases, legislators who slash spending are vulnerable to the inevitable challenge from yet another smarmy cocksucker who will simply promise to undo the cuts and give away more shit.

The ONLY thing that I can see making a lick of difference in the political realm would be the strict imposition of term limits.

This should accompany public hangings.

Either way, politicians might do what's right instead of what pads their best interests.

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 9:26:59 AM EDT
[#16]
I have no idea who that guy is but he has the most awesome name I have ever heard.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 11:54:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Krauthammer may be right about the process working.

But take notice about what he doesn't say: do we have enough time left for the aircraft carrier to reverse course?  He admits, and even praises, the lengthy amount of time required to make political course changes.  He doesn't juxtapose that characteristic against the chart of our current position - are the shoals of national bankruptcy so close, and have the progressives driven us forward at such great speed, that a slow turn to starboard now will be too little, too late?

It's the Titanic scenario.  We've been plowing through icy waters at high speed in the darkness.  A new lookout takes over and finally alerts the bridge to the iceberg dead ahead.  They try to reduce speed and change course, but can't make the turn before we hit the 'berg.  Sure, they could see the danger looming, but because of decisions made by the previous watch (decisions that may have intentionally placed the ship in danger), they can't avoid the disaster.

And you can bet that those passengers occupying the ruling class deluxe cabins have already secured seats in the limited number of lifeboats, complete with life-jackets labelled "Barack" and "Michelle", "Nancy" and "Harry" and "George", and so on.  The rest of us will be left to freeze in the open waters as the ship sinks beneath us.

The problem with that last part of the Titanic analogy is that the rich men almost all gave up their seats for the women and children of all classes.  They preferred to die than to suffer the dishonour of taking the seats of women and children.  Smaller, but still large, amounts of men did the same in the lower classes, which is why the survival rate for women and children was huge but abysmal for men.  There is even a statue in DC raised in honour of the men who gave their lives so others could live on the Titanic, which was paid for by the voluntary donations of over 25,000 women from across the nation.  It depicts a man with arms outstretched in a Christ-like pose and is inscribed, "To the brave men of the Titanic, who gave their lives that women and children might be saved."

I would of course never expect that sort of honourable behaviour from our politicians.  They will of course do as you describe and perhaps eve deliberately run the ship into the iceberg more quickly and severely if it guarantees their survival in some way.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 12:02:06 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I have no idea who that guy is but he has the most awesome name I have ever heard.

I dont think anyone here reading your posts is the least bit surprised you have no idea who he is.

You wouldnt know him because Mr. Krauthammer doesnt frequent MSNBC or CNN.

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 12:06:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I dont think anyone here reading your posts is the least bit surprised you have no idea who he is.

although he is a  collectivist/statist/gun grabber
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 12:53:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

although he is a  collectivist/statist/gun grabber

I don't know if he's still a Democrat but for a long time he was one.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 1:02:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The ONLY thing that I can see making a lick of difference in the political realm would be the strict imposition of term limits.

Either way, politicians might do what's right instead of what pads their best interests.

Term limits will be the more difficult of the two to impose.

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 1:04:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Term limits cause more harm than good.  We have them in California and it doesn't change a damn thing, except that good legislators are thrown out with the bathwater.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 1:04:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I would of course never expect that sort of honourable behaviour from our politicians.  They will of course do as you describe and perhaps eve deliberately run the ship into the iceberg more quickly and severely if it guarantees their survival in some way.

Bingo.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 1:06:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Term limits cause more harm than good.  We have them in California and it doesn't change a damn thing, except that good legislators are thrown out with the bathwater.

There are good legislators?  And in California, of all places?  Where have they been hiding?  
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 1:07:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are good legislators?  And in California, of all places?  Where have they been hiding?  

There are some, yes.  Tom McClintock was one.  Fortunately he won an election to Congress, so he still can do some good, but he was one of the best we have and he got thrown out by term limits.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 1:09:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
He's wrong.

Fucking wrong.

Yep.

yep..

there was a fatal flaw build into the creation of this nation..

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."

— Alexis de Tocqueville (Democracy in America)

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 1:14:36 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

He's wrong.
Fucking wrong.

The underlying problems have not been addressed and will not be addressed. We've been sold down the river and the system does not allowed for significant correction.

no shit!! If the system worked we wouldn't be in the situation we're in today!!!

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 1:16:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Yep, the Kraut is right....It will take years to turn this ship around and only if small-government repubs are at the helm. For some, the changes will take too long, suffer too many stalls because they're hoping for instant gratification. It took us generations to get this far off track so we won't get back overnight.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 1:16:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes it does. If 80% of the voting public goes to the polls and votes for candidates that are going to slash government, the course will correct rather swiftly.

That's what's required to make drastic changes in short order. As yet the voters haven't stomped the brakes...but at least they've started applying them.

It took most of the last century to get us into this mess. It will take some time to get out of it. There will be some pain in the interim....but if we take this seriously and do what needs to be done we'll be just fine.

The problem is nearly all candidates will claim they are for balancing the budget and cutting wasteful spending, and that they plan to do something about it. All we do is keep electing or newly electing people that piss down our back and tell us it is raining. We vote one out and elect another basically just as misguided, deceptive and power-hungry as the one before him. Politicians will never change until there is real accountability for their actions. As is stands now a member of congress would have to rape a 10 year old child on national TV and then rob a bank at gunpoint on the way home before they actually serve any prison time.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 2:14:46 PM EDT
[#30]
I used to like that guy. Then I found out who he really is.

Fuck you Charlie.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 2:26:54 PM EDT
[#31]
He is right about the system making it hard to change direction.

He is wrong about the system being broke.

The creation of the "Super Committee" is proof that the 2 parties cannot work together to fix the problems we face.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top