Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/21/2006 10:50:56 AM EDT
I just placed an order with one of our vendors, which shall remain neamless to avoid account locking,. The vendor proceeds to charge my debit card, and then email me saying the item is not in stock and is backordered. If you dont have it in stock why charge the fucking card?

So I call, cancel the order and the guy tells me it will be 3-4 days until I will see the fund back in my account! So now, I cant order elsewhere.

That shit just pisses me off. I know I should have contacted them first but they are a big company, ARFcom vendor and list them on their page.

What a way to fuck up my monday.

[/rant]

Link Posted: 8/21/2006 10:53:54 AM EDT
[#1]
That has happened to me before. How in the fuck someone thinks that is an appropriate way to conduct business is beyond me.

Out them, so I won't buy from them.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 10:56:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 11:04:17 AM EDT
[#3]
I have had that happen a few times and have prevented it since. If they have a place to enter comments. most do , put in there in bold letter " NO BACKORDER" , DO NOT CHARGE IF NOT IN STOCK", I havent had on since.

The problem being the vendors without the real time inventory at checkout, they just immediatley run the charge through, not knowing it's out of stock.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 11:18:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Never use a DEBIT card for on-line transactions. There is little protection if abused. Once to $$ is out of your account it is not easy to get it back.

Always use a traditional CREDIT card.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 11:23:48 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Never use a DEBIT card for on-line transactions. There is little protection if abused. Once to $$ is out of your account it is not easy to get it back.

+1

The banks have done a good job making people think that "It's just like a credit card".

Bull Shit.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 11:30:07 AM EDT
[#6]
I think Sportsman's Guide says it violates FTC rules. I need to find the actual passage.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 11:32:58 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Yea, I should have known better.

In my defense I like using my debit card account as it is just for interenet transactions and I only move funds there when I make a purchase. Its nice to buy it and not have to worry about it on my CC bill at the end of the month. I have been using a seperate account for years and had veryy little to no trouble. Except this BS.

CH
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 11:44:31 AM EDT
[#8]
This is why I alwways ask if the item I want is in stock before placing an order.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 11:45:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Well at least they wernt like cingular when I ordered my cell phone. Not only did they charge me for the phone, they left the money reserve on there for a few weeks. Essentially tying up 2x the funds that the phone costs. Preventing me from purchasing anything the rest of the month, as my CC had a negative available balance. (My limit was quite low at the time (~$500).
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 11:48:01 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
This is why I alwways ask if the item I want is in stock before placing an order.

Yea, that is the trouble whe ny ou order shit online. I figured a company that size would be able to keep its page up to date....I was wrong.

CH
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 11:48:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 11:49:20 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I think Sportsman's Guide says it violates FTC rules. I need to find the actual passage.

I've never had that happen before when I've ordered with them, infact when I ordered some AK ammo it was backordered for 6 weeks and my card wasn't charged until they shipped the ammo.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 11:52:47 AM EDT
[#13]
that's one thing i like about SKD if its not in sock it won't let you place it in your cart
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 12:03:58 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I just placed an order with one of our vendors, which shall remain neamless to avoid account locking,. The vendor proceeds to charge my debit card, and then email me saying the item is not in stock and is backordered. If you dont have it in stock why charge the fucking card?

[/rant]

...Because, if you ordered with a virtual (throwaway) credit-card number, that number will only accept one charge.

Prior to virtual card numbers, they would usually just wait to charge you until the item shipped, becuase they'd assume that they could put the added purchase onto the same card number.

Virtual card numbers are a great thing if you buy online frequently; they have a one-month expiration date and (more importantly) they only accept one charge, one time. If any [hacker] gets ahold of them after that, they can't be used for anything anyway.
~
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 12:13:56 PM EDT
[#15]
They can legaly charge your card as long as the item shipps whithin 30 days but it is not a good practice and its really bad for customer relations.

ETA; If they have the ability to charge your card when you order then they can credit your card just as fast.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 12:28:44 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
They can legaly charge your card as long as the item shipps whithin 30 days but it is not a good practice and its really bad for customer relations.

ETA; If they have the ability to charge your card when you order then they can credit your card just as fast.

According to the vendor, it will take a few days.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 12:37:34 PM EDT
[#17]
i support ripping people off.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 12:48:52 PM EDT
[#18]
I don't care what the "rules" are... as a businessman myself I don't charge the customer's card until I am ready to ship his merchandise.  His money is his money, I have no right to use it if I am not able to complete the transaction.  That is just plain sense.  

Backordering items not in stock is unfortunately necessary.  Demand outstrips supply for some items though we continue to ramp up production.  Gee, what a problem, people buy all you can make and then some!!!  But then I always call back before shipping a backorder, do you still require this item?

I never take a customer's money until I am ready to ship.  That should just be common courtesy.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 12:50:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 12:56:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 1:23:59 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
i DONT charge anything until Im packing/shipping the order unless it is a special order that is unique.  I cant stand it when other businesses do it to me.

At least you didnt wake up this morning to discover that someone in Vietnam had bought a cell phone for $400 using your checking account.  This has not been a good day.

Should have contacted you first I guess

That sucks dude. Friggin scammers!

ETA: Just got off the phone with the vendor to verify it was cancelled. He said it was. Called the bank and they said if it was already canelled they would see it....and they dont. So basically I have a couple hundred bucks I cant touch now sitting in limbo because this vendor charged my fucking card without the product being in stock!

Dammit this pisses me off. I assure you if I mention the "industry partners" name, this would get flipped into being my fault by the "VDF, Vendor Defense Force".

Customer service is a myth these days I swear.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 2:02:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 3:55:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Customer service is a myth these days I swear.

Not so!  Ask MY customers.  (It ain't braggin' if you can do it.)

---

ETA  Sorry, I don't sell any gun related items.  I'm not fishing for customers, I have more than I can supply now.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 5:16:51 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

According to the vendor, it will take a few days.

I call BS on that but hopefully they will have it squared away sooner for you.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 7:36:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 7:44:03 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Glad we could help out.....

ETA: In the end I had to call the bank this morning and explain to them what was going on. Though the funds were released and I was able ot order from another ARFCOM vendor(thanks again!), it still is not right. This one goes down as a learning expierence.

Somtimes just picking up the phone can save you some serious headaches.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 7:59:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 8:17:27 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
did you get the tracking number that i sent you?

yep
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 10:07:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 6:13:36 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
k...just wanted to make sure....hope it works out well for ya

I am certain it will.
Thanks again,
CH
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top