Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2009 5:00:44 AM EDT
I've heard that replacing Vista with XP can mess up the computer, is this true? Also were is the best place to buy Windows XP operating system?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 5:06:33 AM EDT
[#1]
It won't mess anything up if you reformat the computer.  Don't try to install XP "over" Vista.

Some newer laptops may not have XP drivers available for all of their hardware.  That's the only issue I can think of.

Can't help you on the best place to buy it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 5:13:46 AM EDT
[#2]
You might want to wait before you do anything by the end of the year the next version of windows will be out. Windows 7 will be replacing Vista and from what I understand it is the fist time consumers will go from XP to 7 and completely skip a version. I already have Vista and really haven't had any issues I'll just wait and see what happens.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 5:17:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Not any worse by using vista in the first place. Vista is complete garbage and will never  waste my money on it. Those why say Bs then why is Microsoft pushing their next operating system out at the end of this year early next year, it would be the fastest release and vista will be the quickest replaced OS in history.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 5:18:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Buy an OEM Windows OS, much cheaper than retail.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 5:30:06 AM EDT
[#5]
I bought a new OEM version of Windows XP within the last couple months at Fry's Electronics.
I don't know if you happen to have a Fry's where you live or not.

I bought it to put on my desktop but I am seriously thinking about putting it on my laptop also. I bought a laptop within the last year. It came with Vista and I absolutely hate it. Even though I have put the software I want on it, and have my favorites and all that stuff you do to get a computer the way you want it, I am seriously thinking about formatting the HD and installing XP on it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 5:44:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Check the hardware manufacturers for XP drivers before you do so. It can happen. Some machines are Vista only but XP drivers and BIOS updates/downgrades are possible.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 5:49:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Not any worse by using vista in the first place. Vista is complete garbage and will never  waste my money on it. Those why say Bs then why is Microsoft pushing their next operating system out at the end of this year early next year, it would be the fastest release and vista will be the quickest replaced OS in history.

Because Windows 7 (at least the beta I've played with) is basically Vista Service Pack 2, but because of so much negative market opinion (some justly deserved and alot not) they feel it will sell better as a newly titled OS.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 7:33:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

What is and OEM?
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 7:35:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've heard that replacing Vista with XP can mess up the computer, is this true? Also were is the best place to buy Windows XP operating system?

Thanks

I'd guess most of those problems come from driver issues. Anyone know for sure?
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 7:35:53 AM EDT
[#10]
You can get a beta version of windows 7, for free and it can hold you over till 7 is released.

I have it running on my pc now and its great

http://www.whibb.com/win-7-windows-vista-difference.html

Check this link for a link to the beta
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 7:36:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is and OEM?

http://arstechnica.com/hardware/news/2007/01/8730.ars
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 8:12:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Faster than Windows ME?  That was a total turd too.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 8:18:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 8:25:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Thanks

You have to buy OEM, they are not selling retail anymore. Newegg.com is a good place to start.

Oh and make sure your PC has XP drivers. Many newer machines from HP and Dell etc. do not have any XP drivers as it is old, and why bother.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 8:29:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

You have to buy OEM, they are not selling retail anymore. Newegg.com is a good place to start.

Oh and make sure your PC has XP drivers. Many newer machines from HP and Dell etc. do not have any XP drivers as it is old, and why bother.

Another reason to load up a windows 7 beta box
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 8:54:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Just got a new vista machine. Only problem so far is that when I try to set my printer as default it causes MS Word to randomly shut down in the middle of use. Not Good. Info I found was that it was due to HP not haveing a vista driver that is compatible. So now I have to select the printer every time I use it. Seem kinda strange to me.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 8:57:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Just got a new vista machine. Only problem so far is that when I try to set my printer as default it causes MS Word to randomly shut down in the middle of use. Not Good. Info I found was that it was due to HP not haveing a vista driver that is compatible. So now I have to select the printer every time I use it. Seem kinda strange to me.

You can set it up as the default printer

start > control panel > printers > (highlight the printer you want to use) right click > set as default
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 8:59:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Sounds like another problem from a formerly great company run into the ground, HP.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 9:02:00 AM EDT
[#19]
windows won't let you "downgrade" unless you format the hard drive, but no it won't mess up the computer.

Windows 7 will be out late this year or early next, so if you can wait I would.  I'm running the 64-bit beta and it's great so far.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 9:02:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

start > control panel > printers > (highlight the printer you want to use) right click > set as default

Misunderstood him, if he has the printer set as default, it causes office to crash.  Known problem with HP drivers.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 9:03:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Misunderstood him, if he has the printer set as default, it causes office to crash.  Known problem with HP drivers.

HP is teh sux.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 9:08:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

I'd guess most of those problems come from driver issues. Anyone know for sure?

I tried replacing vista with XP on my laptop.  The problem is HP doesn't make XP drivers specifically for my laptop, and I had to cobble together drivers from here and there.  It never worked right.  After a year of getting pissed off, I put vista back on.  And honestly, I'm not sure which is worse:  Vista and its own share of problems, or XP with mismatched drivers.

It sucks to be honest.  Either way.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 9:13:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

How is it that so many people are able to use Vista with no issues and actually love it and some people say it sucks.

Our entire company uses Vista and no issues. I use Vista at home on all of our PCs except our Macbook Pro, no issues. My wife's work laptop uses Vista has no issues.

I am baffled that this product seems great for some and others are having nightmares.

How can it be? User error? Installing it incorrectly? People trying to use Vista on PCs without enough horsepower?

It is definitely a resource pig but it is a good system. I wouldn't recommend it for people who have older PCs without great resources but for new PCs that are chock full o RAM, etc.

I have it on one of my dual processor machines at home and use it with Photoshop CS4 and it screams it is a helluva graphics/photography computer. It is actually exciting to use.

Yesterday I stitched together 10 photographs of the Santa Cruz Boardwalk for a panorama that we are putting up in the living room. 10 foot by 2 foot picture!!! Incredible. Did it lickety split at least 60% faster than the old machine I was using and Cs2.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 9:13:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

HP is teh sux.

Printer is pretty good. Known problem eh? Wish they would fix it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 9:14:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

How is it that so many people are able to use Vista with no issues and actually love it and some people say it sucks.

Our entire company uses Vista and no issues. I use Vista at home on all of our PCs except our Macbook Pro, no issues. My wife's work laptop uses Vista has no issues.

I am baffled that this product seems great for some and others are having nightmares.

How can it be? User error? Installing it incorrectly? People trying to use Vista on PCs without enough horsepower?

It is definitely a resource pig but it is a good system. I wouldn't recommend it for people who have older PCs without great resources but for new PCs that are chock full o RAM, etc.

I have it on one of my dual processor machines at home and use it with Photoshop CS4 and it screams it is a helluva graphics/photography computer. It is actually exciting to use.

Yesterday I stitched together 10 photographs of the Santa Cruz Boardwalk for a panorama that we are putting up in the living room. 10 foot by 2 foot picture!!! Incredible. Did it lickety split at least 60% faster than the old machine I was using and Cs2.

Most people are full of shit and have never even tried it. They just have jumped onto the bandwagon. Kinda like the Bush hate thing.

There are legitimate complaints. But everybody I know that I have moved towards Vista ends up loving it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 9:15:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

HP is teh sux.

Printer is pretty good. Known problem eh? Wish they would fix it.

They won't.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 9:35:05 AM EDT
[#27]
To the Op

Wipe the drive clean and then install XP.  If you are feeling adventurous and have the drive space, dual boot XP and Windoze 7.  That'll give you a headstart when the release version of W7 comes out.

I'm getting a bigger HD for the Crackputer.  I'll be dual booting Vista SP2 and Windoze 7 as soon as the drive gets here.

Tried Windoze 7.  A couple of my current drivers don't run on it.  One card has support discontinued.  It looked very interesting, but not useful on my everyday laptop, not yet anyway.  Went back to Vista for now.  

Vista blows XP into the weeds.  More stable.  Better memory control.  Much better for streaming TV and P2P video.  I dual-booted Vista and XP on the same box for a direct comparison.  XP rarely got used.  More BSOD on XP.  None on Vista.  

Microcrap is guilty of allowing Vista to be put on boxes not capable of running it.  That I was aware of.  I was very careful to get lots of RAM and Duo Core 2 CPU's. If Vista still won't run, then pilot error is probably the cause.
I have two laptops running Vista.  They both run great,

Vista SP2 beta is out.  It solves some nagging bugs from SP1 and runs flawless on my Crackputer.

YMMV

ZM
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 9:38:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most people are full of shit and have never even tried it. They just have jumped onto the bandwagon. Kinda like the Bush hate thing.

There are legitimate complaints. But everybody I know that I have moved towards Vista ends up loving it.

Not all, however. There are legitimate complaints. I didn't "upgrade" because, at home, DX10 just wasn't important enough to take the resource hit to do the same things XP would do better and more efficiently.

At work, the laptop I received with Vista on it ran like crap. I could have "fixed" it with more memory, but I was able to "fix" it for free with the XP downgrade CD from HP. It FLIES with XP on it. (Runs well with Windows 7 Beta too, actually)

We have Vista machines here and as long as we put sufficient memory in them, they run just fine.

What we have run into is companies who install recording and other software for our clients are having big compatibility issues with Vista. There's some other compatibility issues out there, but these ARE usually for very specific type applications.

I know a friend of mine, who does video editing professionally on his PC, has a LOT of software that simply will not run Vista. He's on XP until that gets resolved.

From my experience, Vista is fine, but Windows 7 will be far better.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 9:42:11 AM EDT
[#29]
I hate my Vista laptop for work.  Even setting everything to "Classic" views doesn't help.

Vista is a piece of shit, worse than the usual Windows crap.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 9:52:13 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I hate my Vista laptop for work.  Even setting everything to "Classic" views doesn't help.

Vista is a piece of shit, worse than the usual Windows crap.

Tell your company to upgrade your RAM.

Vista requires 1GB memory, minimum, period. The problem that I've seen many, many people run into is that the moronic OEMs are putting Vista on UMA systems with only 1GB of RAM.

The reason this is bad is that UMA systems reserve a portion of the physical RAM for use for the graphics adapter (the amount can generally be changed in the BIOS, and sometimes UMA is enhanced with physical RAM for graphics) and does not allow the OS to access it. That means that a 1GB system may only be letting the OS access 896MBs instead of the 1GB it needs at a minimum.

This is only Microsoft's fault as far as they allow idiot OEMs to get away with it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 9:55:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
You might want to wait before you do anything by the end of the year the next version of windows will be out. Windows 7 will be replacing Vista and from what I understand it is the fist time consumers will go from XP to 7 and completely skip a version. I already have Vista and really haven't had any issues I'll just wait and see what happens.

Many people went from 95b to Win2k or 98se to XP.  I went 3.1 to 95b on one computer.  95b to Win2k on another.  Then 98se to XP on another.  The rest have all had XP.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 10:00:05 AM EDT
[#32]
don't blame vista if you don't have the right amount of ram to run it
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 10:03:10 AM EDT
[#33]
I heard recently that not knowing what you are doing is the cause of most serious computer errors.  Is that true?

K Thx
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 10:37:15 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I heard recently that not knowing what you are doing is the cause of most serious computer errors.  Is that true?

K Thx

Speaking from experience.  I'm the cause of most of my computer problems.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top