Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/26/2014 1:37:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/26/2014 4:57:30 PM EDT by guns762]
There is not a group anywhere that can measure up to the ARFCOMER.   We all know that we are married to super models, do 100 one armed pull-ups while eating a cookie with the other, and date 20yr old goddesses when we reach 50yrs old.   We are sexual tyrannosauruses  who's SOs like to have sex multiple times a day, because they are turned on by all the cool gear we have.

After looking over this thread in the tactical forum, I am, again, in awe of our awesomeness.  ARFCOMERS have everything but the kitchen sink attached to their plate carriers, and the sink is usually attached to the war belt.   We carry enough ammo to supply the Alamo for a week.  

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_10/342310_Plate_carrier_thread_____This_is_NOW_a_post_pics_of_your_Plate_Carrier_THREAD___.html

Here is my challenge.   While working out at the gym today, and ripping through my pull-ups like an arfcom stud should, I realized it might be a little tougher with all my gear on.  My Plate Carrier is very sparse, with only two rifle mags, two pistol mags, and a flashlight hanging off of it.  It still weighs close to 25lbs with all that attached....a guess.   Add a rifle, my war belt with a pistol, and  more mags, and I'll bet I'm close to 50lbs of gear.   How about a 3day pack?   What's yours weigh?  Mine is a bit heavy.

To challenge myself, I added 50lbs today, and did a set of 10 pull-ups.   I probably need to try it with closer to 80lbs, being realistic.  

Can you do a couple pull-ups with all your gear on?  That seems like it might come in handy.  

How about after you put all that gear on, can you walk farther than a block or two without going into cardiac arrest?  Can you walk a few miles up hills in it?   I know most ARFCOMERS will defend their mothers basement till the bitter end, but will that be the only place you wear all of your gear?  

I'm challenging you tacticool, operator as fuck, geardos to get out and wear your kit, and find out if it's practical to have 14 30rd mags on your person at one time.  

I have to give my buddy Sparks556 kudos, for making me get out and test ourselves with all our gear on.   It's an eye opening experience, one that I hope you all can benefit from too.

Let's hear some after action reports.   Grab a buddy and go for a hike.    

Good Luck!

This challenge is not directed to those of you who do this for the real money, and down range.    I can't imagine what kind of SUCK it must be to hump all the gear you do, in places that would be challenging to hike even in a tshirt and shorts.  I am in awe of you folks.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 1:41:41 PM EDT
I routinely put on a backpack loaded with supplies, hike into the remote wilderness of Colorado, and live out of it for days at a time.

I couldn't do that a couple years ago without wanting to die of cardiac arrest halfway around the block.

It's a good challenge to see just how far you can actually make it with crap you need.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 1:44:54 PM EDT
I can only get 87 one handed pull ups with my gear on.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 3:51:51 PM EDT
Bump
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 3:55:36 PM EDT
can only do 100 one armed pull ups?

fucking weak
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:31:14 PM EDT
My wife and I have gone on a few all day hikes on challenging terrain with our bug out/camping day packs to get ourselves acquainted with what it would be like to bug out on foot. I haven't carried my rifle but always have my pistol. I also don't have all the gear a lot of you seem to. One day when I do get a plate carrier and plates for myself and my wife, we will hike with those as well, albeit with dummy weight so as not to draw too much attention at the National Park.

I couldn't sleep at night not knowing whether I could bug out with my gear or not.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:41:26 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:47:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/26/2014 4:48:35 PM EDT by MrRezister]
I was going to accept your challenge, but I ended up sweating so much just attempting to read it all that I can't pull my arms away from my body.  After I wash the gravy out of my neckbeard I will try again, but no promises because reading is for .... well, you know.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:50:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/26/2014 4:52:39 PM EDT by Aeain]
ETA: In bros
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:53:06 PM EDT
It's going to be -21 here tommorow. Can we do this in the spring?
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:54:00 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MrRezister:
I was going to accept your challenge, but I ended up sweating so much just attempting to read it all that I can't pull my arms away from my body.  After I wash the gravy out of my neckbeard I will try again, but no promises because reading is for .... well, you know.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:55:21 PM EDT
I would do this but my plate carrier shrank and it doesn't fit anymore. I hate how they do that. Next time I'll get a couple sizes bigger so it doesn't happen again.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 6:00:29 PM EDT
I used to the it for real...kind of.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 6:05:58 PM EDT
OP, you should lay down untill that feeling of " awesomeness " goes away.  For now take 2 tylenol .  And if the awesomeness feeling  persists in the morning call your doc or go to the emergency room.

GD
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 6:08:20 PM EDT
I did this thing called iraq and a couple afghans.
Can one of your students do a portrait of me to look like the most interesting man in the world?
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 6:10:32 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 6:10:48 PM EDT
But that's why I have a Jeep.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 6:15:12 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 6:17:46 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Aimless:
There was a thread after Obama made a comment about women being able to carry a 50 pound ruck. There were a bunch of posts from guys who had 150 pound packs at some points in Afghanistan. I've hiked in the Alps and Rockies but my pack didn't weigh half that, and that's with no armor, rifle, machine gun belts, or mortar rounds or God knows what else. I guess I could have done it when I was 19 and worked out and ran most of my free time.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By nickforney:
Can one of your students do a portrait of me to look like the most interesting man in the world?
There was a thread after Obama made a comment about women being able to carry a 50 pound ruck. There were a bunch of posts from guys who had 150 pound packs at some points in Afghanistan. I've hiked in the Alps and Rockies but my pack didn't weigh half that, and that's with no armor, rifle, machine gun belts, or mortar rounds or God knows what else. I guess I could have done it when I was 19 and worked out and ran most of my free time.

I was a mortarman.  Being on a 60 team in afghanistan is one of the reasons I think there might not be a god.  

I didn't do many pull ups but I went over a bunch of qalat walls.

Op you wanna be the real deal set up a bunch of wall climbs where you have to get up and over something 6 foot tall without losing half your shit.  I ripped a bunch of pants doing that.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 6:18:49 PM EDT
View All Quotes

Christ, my pack is nowhere near 150lbs.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 6:22:39 PM EDT
I saw a guy once show up for a class with a really nice rig, I think one of the hsgi big chest rigs. When we started running, he immediately left a trail of tactical breadcrumbs, mostly pistol mags but I think a light and pocket knife popped of.

Anyway OP has a good point ajispsijmj sorry, got some Cheetos in the keyboard
View Quote

Pics or BAN

I've left a trail of bread crumbs with mags at the 2 gun competition I wore a PC with all my shit on it and took 1st.

I've done 6 miles with a 50 pound pack with a dude training to be SF. It sucked, and I know I couldn't go do that right now. I need to get back to it. I've started using a bike for cardio though.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 6:24:48 PM EDT

Not tactical gear but still heavy.  

I'm not carrying my irons set or a high rise pack in this pic but I'm still wearing about 50lbs of gear.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 6:26:35 PM EDT
Originally Posted By ggee87:
http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy20/ggee87/1070011_10153067038225385_1626523878_n_zpsa00b362c.jpg

I'm not carrying my irons set or a high rise pack in this pic but I'm still wearing about 50lbs of gear.
View Quote

hell yea some firemen I know end up being in hot ass gear for a long time.  They get props.  We had a bunch of smoke jumper guys come out in alaska to shoot mortar rounds with us.  That is a job if I went crazy I would wanna do.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 6:27:20 PM EDT
Originally Posted By andrasik:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By andrasik:

I can almost guarantee nobody was climbing mtns in afghan land with a 150lb ruck not including body armor, rifle etc.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 6:27:30 PM EDT
I'm not overweight. I'm in pretty decent shape, but I don't work out. I simply live an active life, both at work and personal life. But, I'm almost 44 years old. A couple years ago my buddy and I went camping on a mountain here in Va called The Priest. We had to hike quite a bit up the mountain from the parkiing area and everything you needed had to go in the one trip. So I had my pack with all my shit. No rifle or ammo, no other vest or plate carrier or anything. My ass was dead before I walked across the parking lot. But I manned the fuck up and got my ass up the mountain. How in the hell you guys carry all that stuff and hump those mountains over seas I will never know. But my family and I love each and every one of you for doing it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 6:28:08 PM EDT
http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy20/ggee87/1070011_10153067038225385_1626523878_n_zpsa00b362c.jpg

View Quote

Not mention wearing a mask while running up stairs. Fuck that shot.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 6:28:36 PM EDT
I was in a maintenance unit we have trucks
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 6:29:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/26/2014 6:30:14 PM EDT by 88_Sahara]

View All Quotes

I had the privilege of humping my gear, ruck, rifle, and the gear, ruck, and rifle of the female who was in front of me on a 9 mile forced march in the summer at Ft. Pickett. Not cool. Oh, and she became an officer
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 6:29:49 PM EDT
Used to have a neighbor that would jog in a gas mask. I guess he went out to the Rockies a lot, and he said it helped pre-acclimate him, but I just thought it was tacticool as fuck.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 6:32:35 PM EDT

hell yea some firemen I know end up being in hot ass gear for a long time.  They get props.  We had a bunch of smoke jumper guys come out in alaska to shoot mortar rounds with us.  That is a job if I went crazy I would wanna do.
View All Quotes

I've got nothing but massive respect for anyone that does wild land fire fighting.  That is a whole level of suck beyond structure fires.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 6:54:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/26/2014 6:57:32 PM EDT by guns762]
Originally Posted By iwouldntknow:
I've done 6 miles with a 50 pound pack with a dude training to be SF. It sucked, and I know I couldn't go do that right now. I need to get back to it. I've started using a bike for cardio though.
View Quote

And what I'm getting at here, in tongue and cheek, is that we may or may not be able to carry a 50lb pack, but at least find out for yourself before the day comes and the timing of that discovery is inconvenient.  

Some of those plate carrier kits look damn nice, but with 9+ mags, and a ton of shit hanging off off them, combined with someone out of shape just seems ridiculous.   My buddy Sparks556 is near 15yrs my junior, in great shape, and found this out too.   The rig he set up first, according to him, was just too damn heavy.   Now his kit is streamlined, and more realistic.   I followed his lead, setting up my own.  

After our hikes, we enjoy discussing how our gear carried, and what we thought of it.   Then we go home and make adjustments.   Next time out we can reevaluate.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 7:02:15 PM EDT
I can do three with the improved bombsuit on. Does that count?
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 7:02:47 PM EDT
Originally Posted By guns762:

And what I'm getting at here, in tongue and cheek, is that we may or may not be able to carry a 50lb pack, but at least find out for yourself before the day comes and the timing of that discovery is inconvenient.  

Some of those plate carrier kits look damn nice, but with 9+ mags, and a ton of shit hanging off off them, combined with someone out of shape just seems ridiculous.   My buddy Sparks556 is near 15yrs my junior, in great shape, and found this out too.   The rig he set up first, according to him, was just too damn heavy.   Now his kit is streamlined, and more realistic.   I followed his lead, setting up my own.  

After our hikes, we enjoy discussing how our gear carried, and what we thought of it.   Then we go home and make adjustments.   Next time out we can reevaluate.
View All Quotes

Mission drives gear. Right now I have no mission.  Too damn heavy could be shit the mission requires.  IMHO, civilians aren't allowed the gear to make them effective in the field.  I don't have access to a 240 and the belted ammo or 40mm and grenades or mortars with the associated baseplates and rounds. If you do any break contact drills, all of a sudden those 9 mags start to make a lot of sense. But who's out there breaking contact for real? No civilian that makes the news, that's who.  Gear is a fun hobby, but about as useful as a corvette.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 7:03:16 PM EDT

View All Quotes

Even for guys in shape, once you actually wear your gear for more than an hour you quickly realize how much shit you don't need. It's always comical to watch news guys show up with ten tons of shit and then quickly rip it all off after an 8hr patrol.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 7:05:12 PM EDT
4 pullups with my bunkers (with bail) and scotty on my back...

and I'm struggling with them.. certainly not Marine Corps PFT pull-ups...  
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 7:08:17 PM EDT

Mission drives gear. Right now I have no mission.  Too damn heavy could be shit the mission requires.  IMHO, civilians aren't allowed the gear to make them effective in the field.  I don't have access to a 240 and the belted ammo or 40mm and grenades or mortars with the associated baseplates and rounds. If you do any break contact drills, all of a sudden those 9 mags start to make a lot of sense. But who's out there breaking contact for real? No civilian that makes the news, that's who.  Gear is a fun hobby, but about as useful as a corvette.
View All Quotes

If I'm breaking contact I would rather have 9 smokes and 3 mags. So I can haul ass.  

In reality my civi gear is minimalist. Don't need or want all the shit my .mil gear has. Give me 4x mags, flashlight, IFAK, couple pistol mags, knife/leatherman, couple zip ties/550cord, water, paper/pen and I'm g2g.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 7:10:00 PM EDT
I actually wondered how hard this would be, so I put on my vest, and my bug out bag, and walked on my treadmill at home, now I do it once a week along with going to our local gym here, its a real eye opener, when I started my stuff was WAY too heavy and I was way out of practice, now I have refined it some and got myself into better shape.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 7:10:01 PM EDT
There is not a group anywhere that can measure up to the ARFCOMER.   We all know that we are married to super models, do 100 one armed pull-ups while eating a cookie with the other, and date 20yr old goddesses when we reach 50yrs old.   We are sexual tyrannosauruses  who's SOs like to have sex multiple times a day, because they are turned on by all the cool gear we have.

After looking over this thread in the tactical forum, I am, again, in awe of our awesomeness.  ARFCOMERS have everything but the kitchen sink attached to their plate carriers, and the sink is usually attached to the war belt.   We carry enough ammo to supply the Alamo for a week.  

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_10/342310_Plate_carrier_thread_____This_is_NOW_a_post_pics_of_your_Plate_Carrier_THREAD___.html

Here is my challenge.   While working out at the gym today, and ripping through my pull-ups like an arfcom stud should, I realized it might be a little tougher with all my gear on.  My Plate Carrier is very sparse, with only two rifle mags, two pistol mags, and a flashlight hanging off of it.  It still weighs close to 25lbs with all that attached....a guess.   Add a rifle, my war belt with a pistol, and  more mags, and I'll bet I'm close to 50lbs of gear.   How about a 3day pack?   What's yours weigh?  Mine is a bit heavy.

To challenge myself, I added 50lbs today, and did a set of 10 pull-ups.   I probably need to try it with closer to 80lbs, being realistic.  

Can you do a couple pull-ups with all your gear on?  That seems like it might come in handy.  

How about after you put all that gear on, can you walk farther than a block or two without going into cardiac arrest?  Can you walk a few miles up hills in it?   I know most ARFCOMERS will defend their mothers basement till the bitter end, but will that be the only place you wear all of your gear?  

I'm challenging you tacticool, operator as fuck, geardos to get out and wear your kit, and find out if it's practical to have 14 30rd mags on your person at one time.  

I have to give my buddy Sparks556 kudos, for making me get out and test ourselves with all our gear on.   It's an eye opening experience, one that I hope you all can benefit from too.

Let's hear some after action reports.   Grab a buddy and go for a hike.    

Good Luck!

This challenge is not directed to those of you who do this for the real money, and down range.    I can't imagine what kind of SUCK it must be to hump all the gear you do, in places that would be challenging to hike even in a tshirt and shorts.  I am in awe of you folks.
View Quote

I can't imagine how fast a swat team would be pouring bullets into me if I went into my pretentious suburb gym with armor on.

I do however have a weighted workout vest that I can wear under a hoodie to work out in.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 7:11:19 PM EDT
I am low speed, no drag.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 7:12:30 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Tomislav:
Used to have a neighbor that would jog in a gas mask. I guess he went out to the Rockies a lot, and he said it helped pre-acclimate him, but I just thought it was tacticool as fuck.
View Quote

Christ, I got attached to a team sergeant out of 2/75 that did pt in that shit at the gym. Fuck me it was worse than the gas chamber.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 7:12:46 PM EDT
Originally Posted By RangerJoe11:

If I'm breaking contact I would rather have 9 smokes and 3 mags. So I can haul ass.  

In reality my civi gear is minimalist. Don't need or want all the shit my .mil gear has. Give me 4x mags, flashlight, IFAK, couple pistol mags, knife/leatherman, couple zip ties/550cord, water, paper/pen and I'm g2g.
View All Quotes

I forgot grenades.  I love smoke grenades. Figures the ATF would figure out a way to outlaw them.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 7:13:09 PM EDT
Originally Posted By whiskerz:
I was in a maintenance unit we have trucks
View Quote

Same here..............Hemtt Wrecker special operator here.........  We did however have tactical cup holders
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 7:15:43 PM EDT
While I am a "gym god", I don't own a plate carrier.  I'll throw 45lb on a dip belt, next time I hit the gym, and try pullups.  Pretty sure I can do a couple.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 7:18:18 PM EDT
I forgot grenades.  I love smoke grenades. Figures the ATF would figure out a way to outlaw them.
View All Quotes

Just load up on the smoke balls that can be had at the local fireworks stand. . I wish I had smoke, for some reason I find them entertaining.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 7:22:07 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 7:22:08 PM EDT
View Quote

You may be right........or wrong.   I suppose everyone would have to evaluate what they might need, and how that condition my come about.    History should be a good thought provoking guide.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 7:22:16 PM EDT
Just load up on the smoke balls that can be had at the local fireworks stand. . I wish I had smoke, for some reason I find them entertaining.
View Quote

The local airsoft place has pull ring smoke for $9 each.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 7:28:06 PM EDT
Originally Posted By 30calTBLkid:

I think I drug cock over 2/3 of the walls in afg.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 30calTBLkid:

I was a mortarman.  Being on a 60 team in afghanistan is one of the reasons I think there might not be a god.  

I didn't do many pull ups but I went over a bunch of qalat walls.

Op you wanna be the real deal set up a bunch of wall climbs where you have to get up and over something 6 foot tall without losing half your shit.  I ripped a bunch of pants doing that.

I think I drug cock over 2/3 of the walls in afg.

The scrunchy sleeves of the OG Acu combat shirt made a great dick hammock after my pants were torn to bits and all the stinkies could see my goods.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 7:33:11 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 7:34:15 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 7:39:51 PM EDT
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top