Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/2/2015 9:33:15 PM EDT
So here is the deal. I have a Stihl MS251 that has been working great since October. I went to remove a dead tree today that had fallen and noticed that I had zero bar oil coming out. There is plenty of bar oil, the lines and surface area are clean as well. I can stick something small into the opening of the port for the bar oil and oil will come out but it is not enough to lubricate the chain. I can not find a adjustment anywhere on it. Anyone have any insight?
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 9:38:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like either a clog in the line or the oiler is not pumping bar oil. I would start with cleaning everything really well with brake cleaner and compressed air. Otherwise get ready to start ripping into it.
BTW: these are designed to put out less bar oil for a cleaner environment
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 9:44:37 PM EDT
[#2]
He might have to rip into it anyway. My old McColloch had a gear
driven oiler under the flywheel. Maybe the gears or oiler hose fell off ?

My problem was the oiler hose was dry rotted. Good luck on yours
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 9:44:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Take the chain and bar off, then run the saw a bit to see how much oil it's putting out.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 9:48:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Take the chain and bar off, then run the saw a bit to see how much oil it's putting out.
View Quote

i empty the oil out, and run some wd40-pb blaster thru it. spray it right in there.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 9:56:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I am going to take it to the dealer tomorrow morning and see what they say. It hasnt even been a year yet so maybe they can take care of it.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:19:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I am going to take it to the dealer tomorrow morning and see what they say. It hasnt even been a year yet so maybe they can take care of it.
View Quote

A good rule of thumb you need to fill your bar oil up every 2nd fuel up, if not your oiler is not working right. The older Stihls were notorious for clogged oiling systems, I think the issues were cleared up years ago. I would think the Dealer will have you fixed up in short order, ask him what the issue was and how to correct it should it happen again.
Good move buying it from a real Dealer had you bought a box store brand you would be on your own.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:19:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Have you looked for and adjusted the bar oil adjustment knob?  It's usually located on the bottom on the saw near the sprocket.  First thing I do on all my saws is adjust it so that it's putting out the maximum and then going from there.   Bar oil is cheap.

The other thing you might do is remove the bar and then use compressed air to clear out the oil channels in the bar itself.  There are two of them, one on each side.  That is so you can flip the bar every time you change the chain (which you should also do).

Good luck!
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:26:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Some of the 2XX saws have a known issue where the hose for the oil is too long and gets kinked. It needs a little trim.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:36:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Have you looked for and adjusted the bar oil adjustment knob?  It's usually located on the bottom on the saw near the sprocket.  First thing I do on all my saws is adjust it so that it's putting out the maximum and then going from there.   Bar oil is cheap.

The other thing you might do is remove the bar and then use compressed air to clear out the oil channels in the bar itself.  There are two of them, one on each side.  That is so you can flip the bar every time you change the chain (which you should also do).

Good luck!
View Quote

MS251's have no oiler adjustment screws. Most of the smaller, mid size Stihl saws have no oiler adjustments on them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top