Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/17/2013 6:42:17 PM EDT
I have an MS280 (54cc) and was looking for a ~70cc saw to add to it for bucking up the bigger stuff around our property (all hard oak).  I found a 372xp locally with an advertised 60hrs use and they are asking $500.  I noticed that fully rebuilt 372xp power-heads can be had for ~$450 on eBay.  If the local seller were to accept an offer of $400 is it worth it?  My other option is to hold out and keep an eye out for a used MS441 Magnum.

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/17/2013 7:06:08 PM EDT
[#1]
My .02, is hold out for a MS460, buy the dual port muffler for it, and install the .70 jet and you will have a saw that runs extremely well and is very versatile with a 25" bar, you can also run a longer bar if needed. That's how mine is setup. I basically made it like the old 046 magnum saw. I do 95% of my work with that saw.

The 440 is a nice saw as well, but I prefer the extra torque you get out of the 460 for most of what I do. I fell a lot of trees and have to limb them and cut them, and that saw works very well for me. Since I don't climb, I don't really use the smaller saws ever, and if I need to cut something big, I grab my MS650.

I'm not a fan of the 441 or 461 as they got even more choked up, but if you can still do the same mods to bring them back to full power, I'd say go for it. Also, if you aren't already, avoid ethanol blended gas to aid in longevity.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 10:15:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My .02, is hold out for a MS460, buy the dual port muffler for it, and install the .70 jet and you will have a saw that runs extremely well and is very versatile with a 25" bar, you can also run a longer bar if needed. That's how mine is setup. I basically made it like the old 046 magnum saw. I do 95% of my work with that saw.

The 440 is a nice saw as well, but I prefer the extra torque you get out of the 460 for most of what I do. I fell a lot of trees and have to limb them and cut them, and that saw works very well for me. Since I don't climb, I don't really use the smaller saws ever, and if I need to cut something big, I grab my MS650.

I'm not a fan of the 441 or 461 as they got even more choked up, but if you can still do the same mods to bring them back to full power, I'd say go for it. Also, if you aren't already, avoid ethanol blended gas to aid in longevity.
View Quote

Thanks for the great advice...I meant to say '372'xp instead of 376...I corrected my original post.  I will keep an eye out for the 440/460.  I did notice the MS440/441/460/461 saws are in very high demand when looking on eBay...30+ bids is the norm.  I've read a lot of good reviews on the 372xp on the arborist forums is why it sparked my interest.  I have very few Husky dealers in my area (a ton of Stihl dealers)...but I work on my own stuff anyway so I don't know if that matters.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 10:53:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Thanks for the great advice...I meant to say '372'xp instead of 376...I corrected my original post.  I will keep an eye out for the 440/460.  I did notice the MS440/441/460/461 saws are in very high demand when looking on eBay...30+ bids is the norm.  I've read a lot of good reviews on the 372xp on the arborist forums is why it sparked my interest.  I have very few Husky dealers in my area (a ton of Stihl dealers)...but I work on my own stuff anyway so I don't know if that matters.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Both the Husky and Stihl professional grade saws are very good. And yes the 440/460 is a very high demand saw due to it's reputation and performance. I know we have 3 new in box 460's for when our current fleet are beyond service. We have 20 year old 046 and 044 saws that are still going though, they just won't die.

If all you have local for dealers is Stihl, that would be the easy choice IMO. That is the main reason my company uses all Stihl products, their great dealer network in the area. We do all of our own maintenance ourselves as well, but it helps to be able to drive 10 minutes to get the parts we need.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 11:07:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Here is my personal 460, nobody else in the company uses it. It's about 4 years old now and has at least 500 hours on it without any major service. All I've had to do was replace the clutch springs once, and maybe 2 spark plugs. It has the dual port muffler and a .70 jet in it. I run it with a 25" bar and I prefer the yellow chains over the green ones. They yellow is a bit more aggressive and prone to kick back, but it cuts. The green has the anti kick back fingers and I'm not much a fan of them.

Also, pick up one of these sharpening devices from Stihl. I have used so many different brands of files and guides over the years, and this is hands down the best way. It has feelers that set it at the right height, if you line it up correctly it makes the angle cuts perfectly, and I get much longer life out of my chains provided I don't hit some metal in a tree and wipe it out. (I hate that )

Link Posted: 11/18/2013 12:09:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Here is my personal 460, nobody else in the company uses it. It's about 4 years old now and has at least 500 hours on it without any major service. All I've had to do was replace the clutch springs once, and maybe 2 spark plugs. It has the dual port muffler and a .70 jet in it. I run it with a 25" bar and I prefer the yellow chains over the green ones. They yellow is a bit more aggressive and prone to kick back, but it cuts. The green has the anti kick back fingers and I'm not much a fan of them.

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s73/hownowbrowncow_02/6C560A55-AA2A-4A40-AA19-E053DE61933A-1123-000000ED1AEA0A6C_zpsdd7a665f.jpg

Also, pick up one of these sharpening devices from Stihl. I have used so many different brands of files and guides over the years, and this is hands down the best way. It has feelers that set it at the right height, if you line it up correctly it makes the angle cuts perfectly, and I get much longer life out of my chains provided I don't hit some metal in a tree and wipe it out. (I hate that )

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s73/hownowbrowncow_02/44F9984D-9702-4A17-8247-03D206629494-1123-000000EDA6858845_zps0bbaeb3c.jpg
View Quote

I have never seen that chain sharpener before (only the Stihl file set)...it sure looks convenient...I currently use the bar mounted Granberg sharpener.  I can't get a new one so I will have to get lucky on finding a used MS4xx series saw.  After handling both I do feel that the Stihls are more solidly built, I know the switches are prone to break easier on the Huskys.  I had a Husky Rancher saw and the casing felt kinda flimsy, the Stihl that replaced it felt more solid.  I hate the safety chains as well and prefer full chisel...my safety chain is used for dirty cuts/stumps now.  I was also looking to setup the bigger saw with a 25" bar.  I wouldn't need bigger than that, I even had the dealer replace the stock 20" bar on my now discontinued MS280 with an 18" bar due to all of the hard oak.
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 3:07:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 5:21:51 PM EDT
[#7]
The 372xp, formerly the 371xp is hands down the best mid sized saw made and has been for many years. As to it being worth $400, if it is clean and has been taken care of and has a good bar on it that's a decent deal.
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 11:08:26 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a couple of XPs, a 372XP and a 575XP, and the 372 is probably my favorite.  I run a 24" bar on the 372, and it is a great cutting saw. $400 isn't a terrible price for one, assuming it is in pretty good condition, and resale is very good...its probably the most popular pro saw Husqvarna has put on the market.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 2:48:25 PM EDT
[#9]
I had a 575XP that was great, I used it to run an Alaskan Mill ripping up oak and walnut for cabinets and furniture. It was also my go to for chunking up the big stuff when cutting firewood. That saw was a beast. A few months ago my neighbor asked to borrow it to cut up a huge oak that had come down in a storm. Bastard ran straight gas through it.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:19:38 PM EDT
[#10]
A few months ago my neighbor asked to borrow it to cut up a huge oak that had come down in a storm. Bastard ran straight gas through it.
View Quote

How did that work out, did he replace the saw?  I never loan out anything that requires mixed gas...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top