Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 9/5/2010 9:41:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/5/2010 9:41:39 AM EDT by rob99rt]
I've got a fairly old Husqvarna 272xp that I *think* the clutch or drum is getting worn on (it was given to me last year and has seen a lot of hours). It seems like when I start using it that it'll go through logs pretty well at first, but as time goes on the saw will stop powering through logs as well. It seems as though if it catches at all on a log the clutch will slip. What I don't know, though, is whether it's the clutch or the drum that needs replaced, or both. Is there anybody here who can tell me what to check for to see which part(s) I need to pick up so I can get this thing working well again?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:45:04 AM EDT
http://www.small-engine-repairs.com/husqvarna_chainsaw.html
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:47:16 AM EDT

Thanks, but I know how to take them off. What I don't know is how to tell if they're worn out/bad or not. The clutch doesn't look like a normal automobile clutch which has friction material on it, so that's what's confusing me.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:50:02 AM EDT
when my 55 did that it was the springs in the clutch, my shop couldnt find the tool to replace the springs so they replaced the clutch for same price, real cheap
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:52:28 AM EDT
The clutch grabbing is a function of engine speed so if your saw isnt spinning up, an older clutch may not grab. When the chain stops, does the engine scream, or lug? Also, a dying clutch will smoke and smell like burning clutch. Also, check that the chains drive teeth are properly engaged to the sprocket. Also chech that the bar is oiling properly. Basically, theres many things that could mimic you4 problem.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:53:52 AM EDT
Originally Posted By rob99rt:

Thanks, but I know how to take them off. What I don't know is how to tell if they're worn out/bad or not. The clutch doesn't look like a normal automobile clutch which has friction material on it, so that's what's confusing me.

It acts like a flywheel weight assy does, if it's slipping, just replace the entire assembly and be done with it.

Just think of it's as being activated by engine RPM and not a throw out fork and bearing. If it's slipping to much it'll overheat just the same way a "regular" clutch will.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 11:54:19 AM EDT

Originally Posted By AKsala:
The clutch grabbing is a function of engine speed so if your saw isnt spinning up, an older clutch may not grab. When the chain stops, does the engine scream, or lug? Also, a dying clutch will smoke and smell like burning clutch. Also, check that the chains drive teeth are properly engaged to the sprocket. Also chech that the bar is oiling properly. Basically, theres many things that could mimic you4 problem.

Chain is oiling fine. The engine will spin up and the chain will spin accordingly as long as no load is against the chain. Once you start going into wood, though, and the chain stops, the engine will sound somewhat "lugged down", but the revs don't really go down that much. My 350's motor lugs down a LOT more than the 272's does when the chain stops.

FWIW, I don't smell that "burnt clutch" smell when it starts doing it, but honestly, once it starts doing this I usually just shut it down and continue cutting stuff with the 350.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 11:59:53 AM EDT

Originally Posted By fxntime:

It acts like a flywheel weight assy does, if it's slipping, just replace the entire assembly and be done with it.

Just think of it's as being activated by engine RPM and not a throw out fork and bearing. If it's slipping to much it'll overheat just the same way a "regular" clutch will.

That's probably what it's doing.... once it starts slipping, it doesn't stop messing up again until it's cooled down again for a while.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 12:19:29 PM EDT
Is it equipped w/ a chain brake and could it be dragging?
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 12:20:05 PM EDT

Originally Posted By AKsala:
Is it equipped w/ a chain brake and could it be dragging?

Yes, it does have a brake, but it's not dragging.
Top Top