Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2004 5:10:06 PM EDT
My wife's uncle was a Marine during the Korean War and was at Frozen Chosin.  He died recently and today we placed his ashes in the Arlington National Cemetery.  The ceremony was  short, but very moving.  It was obvious that Marines take care of their own in a way that I could not have conceived before witnessing today's ceremony.  

It also pointed out to me that I missed a great opportunity.  After graduating from high school 20 years ago, I explored going into the Marines, but decided to go to college instead.  I very much regret that now.  When I look back at the last 20 years of my life, I have not done badly - I've gotten a B.S. and a M.S. degree, had a great professional career, gotten married to a woman I love and have a wonderful daughter, but I have not really accomplished very much beyond that.  I have a feeling that if I had gone into the Marines, I may not have as many material things as I have now, but my life would have been "better".

OK, there are a couple of points I want to make out of all this:

1 - if you are not too old to join the Marines like I am, at least consider it if you want to do something worthwhile with your life.

2 - I'm too old to join the Marines now and probably could not pass the physical, but what can I do to contribute and "make a difference" in the "big picture"?  I've done volunteer stuff at church and regularly donate to charity, but these are not "big picture" things.

Sorry for the rambling. . .

Link Posted: 10/21/2004 5:15:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Sorry for your loss.

I used to do ceremonies (funerals) in Arlington as part of the US Army Honor Guard. I know that place well.

Oh, and my feeling on you not joining the marines is your life is your life. The service was not your calling. This does not mean you are a bad person. It is better to have respect for those who did serve than none at all my friend. So don't be so hard on yourself in that respect.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 5:15:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I did, it was the best time of my life, it was the worst time of my life.

I sure as hell have a lot of stories about it.

PS: MCRD San Diego (so as to start the universal Marine debate)

I got a choice when I went to boot camp (from Michigan in the late-80s), my father's two friends from the plant who had been Marines went to San Diego, so that's where I chose to go. The Korea vet gave me his old boot camp ring when I got back from boot (back then I guess they sold rings, like a high school ring, in boot). I have worn it a few times, but I keep it in a place of honor in my box along with my tie tack, I wear them evey Nov 10.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 5:15:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I am in that same position now being the college guy and that is why I have an interview with a Marine recruiter tomorrow.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 5:19:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:16:05 PM EDT
[#5]
A friend of mine was a civilian worker at the Pentagon and killed on Sept. 11.  They had a top notch military funeral and honor guard for his funeral and burial of his ashes at Ft. Myer/Arlington.  The military really knows how to put people to rest.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:22:36 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Sorry for the rambling. . .

Nothing to apologize for man.....out here, were all brothers, and family listen to each other.

Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:24:07 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I used to do ceremonies (funerals) in Arlington as part of the US Army Honor Guard.

3rd US Infantry?
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:43:55 PM EDT
[#8]
We visited Arlington National Cemetary last year for the first time. I was surprised to learn that their are 3 Burials a day during peace time and up to 15 Burials a day during War time.  I also was surprised that Robert E. Lee's Front yard is where the Arlington is at.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:46:09 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I used to do ceremonies (funerals) in Arlington as part of the US Army Honor Guard.

3rd US Infantry?

Yup. I was in Alpha Company Ft. Mcnair (The Old Guard), and later Echo Company Ft Myer (Continental Color Guard) From 88-92
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:48:51 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
We visited Arlington National Cemetary last year for the first time. I was surprised to learn that their are 3 Burials a day during peace time and up to 15 Burials a day during War time.  I also was surprised that Robert E. Lee's Front yard is where the Arlington is at.

Just a little sidenote: A platoon could do up to 4 funerals a day - back to back. At least mine did. I am not sure about the other joint services. And by back to back I mean we started at the chapel, stood fast through the ceremony, then marched along with caisson to the grave site where there was more ceremony, taps, and 21 gun salute. Then it was back on the bus up to the chapel and do it all over again. Very Very tiring work, but also very honorable duty.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:50:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Semper Fi, Shipmate......
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:57:48 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I also was surprised that Robert E. Lee's Front yard is where the Arlington is at.

That was an act of vengeance toward Gen. R E Lee.

They did that so he could never sit on his back porch in peace again.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:02:38 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I also was surprised that Robert E. Lee's Front yard is where the Arlington is at.

That was an act of vengeance toward Gen. R E Lee.

They did that so he could never sit on his back porch in peace again.

Kind of pointless, wasn't it?  I mean, they never gave him the house back . . .

It is even more confusing to find out (IIRC) that REL freed his slaves well before the war.  
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 4:56:02 AM EDT
[#14]
The government did eventually pay the Lee family for the property.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 5:14:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 7:24:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Guys, thanks for you kind thoughts.

BTW, Arlington National Cemetery is now doing an average of 25 funerals per day. They are also building more niches for ashes.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 8:03:17 AM EDT
[#17]
RIP Devildog.

Link Posted: 10/22/2004 8:25:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Volunteer at Toys-for-Tots...the Marine Reserve (and all the kiddies) need you!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top