Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2001 8:35:59 AM EDT
Anyone know of a place that sells ceramic knife? I am looking for a fighting type not the cooking type. Will this be the nest thing that is outlawed?
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 8:38:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't know of anybody making a factory ceeramic folding "fighter."  Boker makes a variety of ceramic bladed knives.  Run a search on Boker and you'll get all the dealers you can stand.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 8:49:58 AM EDT
[#2]
If you're looking for one to go through a metal detector, lotsa luck.  All that I've seen have a significant amount of metal in the knive hinges & handle.  Think CIA letter opener on a string around your neck, under your shirt.

Norm
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 8:55:15 AM EDT
[#3]
I was looking for a straight knife not a folder. One that was similar to a throwing knife.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 8:55:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Ditto on the Bokers.  If you get caught with a ceramic knife in an airport though you'd better have bail money.

On an interesting side note;  About 5 years ago I had to go to the courthouse to pay a speeding fine.  I walked right into the building without thinking about what was in my pockets.  I had a Boker Speed Lock II in my pocket.  I walked right through the metal detector (twice)without a hitch.  I about crapped my pants when I realized what I'd done, and then again when I realized how easy it was.  I guess the aluminum doesn't make the detector react the same.  I always check my pockets now.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 9:03:41 AM EDT
[#5]
A buddy of mine has a resin knife, looks like a tanto. I'll ask where he bought it from. You can sharpen it to and it will hold an edge pretty good. It's strong too, says it will go through car doors. Kinda scary now though, with what is happening now.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 9:06:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Contact Mad Dog Knives [url]www.mdenterprise.com[/url].  They make ceramic fixed blades. If you are Mil. or LEO, they will leave out the metal bar in the handle.  Also might want to think carbon fiber or G10.  

Muad_dib,
Aluminum actually shields some of the steel's signature.

Please don't bring anything illegal on planes, as that when you get caught, some airport ninja is going to give you the Fickle Finger.

Take it easy,
Ice
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 9:07:11 AM EDT
[#7]
I've never seen ceramic knives in a fighting style, they are available as fixed blade kitchen knives however. The reason may be that the ceramic material is very hard but brittle, dropping a ceramic knife can cause the blade to break, imagine a ceramic sharpening stick shaped into a blade form, it is harder than steel but much more fragile.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 9:52:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Mad Dog ceramic knives w/o metal strip available to LE and military only, huh?  Screw him.  I even qualify to buy one, but screw him anyway.  I have no time (or cash) for a manufacturer who has this type of caste system.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 3:34:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Non detectable knives are illegal to own, sell, or buy in California.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 3:44:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I am with Golgo-13 on this one.  Don't need to support someone who won't support me.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 4:16:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Non detectable knives are illegal to own, sell, or buy in California.
View Quote

I guess once again I am in the eyes of the law a criminal..... I have a mean old undetectable knife here in the PRK.

[img]http://members.home.net/martinmac/knifes/boneknife3.jpg[/img]

It may not be ceramic but it wont set off the metal detectors....
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 8:56:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Is that blade bone or ivory?
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 9:19:41 AM EDT
[#13]
[url]members.tripod.com/~Newt_Livesay/neckknives.html[/url]

Model #701; NRG non-magnetic fiber knife. Less than 2 ounces of the of pure "ENERGY (NRG)" in a LIVESAY Quick Release KYDEX sheath system. This blade is carried by Federal, and Military personnel world wide. One West Coast FEDERAL DEPARTMENT that had bought a non-maganetic knife from another company was paying over $85.00 each. After testing the NRG they have now ordered over one-hundered & twenty-five (125) units in the last sixteen (16) months. Functional and very descreet for ultimate stealth and convenience. Mdl. 701 non-magnetic fiber knife is still only $20.00
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 1:16:31 PM EDT
[#14]
I believe it is bone. It is a signed piece done by some native American my mom knows.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top