Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2002 11:34:33 AM EDT
I have found some Center Industries Corp,30 rd mags with a MFG 6P199 no.on the floorplate and they also have 9/98 stamped in the side of the mag bodies.What I want to know is are all of the 30rd mags dated after Sept.13,94,crime bill mag ban just for LEO and Military use only,or is it just certain manufactures of the 30rd mag.Can the above mentioned mags be legally owned by general public.PLEASE HELP ME!
Thanks M10KEN
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 11:39:41 AM EDT
[#1]
They can't legally.  

If its a good deal, buy them anyways.  

Keep them for a rainy day.

We might need them if were going to take down the 'man. [BD]

c-rock
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 11:45:36 AM EDT
[#2]
[X][X] ALL manufacturers since '94 [X][X]

Any 'high capacity' magazine made after the cutoff date are for mil / LE ONLY and NOT suitable for civilian consumption or possession, regardless of who made it.[>(]

That's why they're so cheap.[>Q]

The presence of the date stamp on the M16/AR mags generally indicates 'post-ban'.[X]

They'll get you for it, too.[(:)]

Check the 'Magazine' FAQ / thread for a great deal more info.

Link Posted: 8/13/2002 11:53:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Those mags are hotter than a habanaro, put them in your SHTF underground vault. Don''t get caught with them, better yet, just send them to me I will give you five bucks each and it won''t be a total loss for you.
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 12:30:04 PM EDT
[#4]
C-rock; thanks for your help,I was not 100% sure about the mags,now I am very sad.Thanks Ken
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 12:33:20 PM EDT
[#5]
eshell,and bountyhunter.Thanks to you as well.
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 12:40:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 12:57:35 PM EDT
[#7]
. . .Under current law, like it or not, those mags are illegal to own, unless you're LEO/MIL.  I wouldn't take anyone's advice about buying them.  I would stay away from them.
. . .Stay away from those mags.  They're not worth the trouble,. . .
-Gloftoe
View Quote

That's what I meant to say.
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 12:59:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Go to a surplus store near an Army post, you'll probably find well used post bans for $10 bucks a pop.  Someone tell me the last time they ever heard of someone prosecuted for possessing a post ban magazine.  I'll be willing to bet it has never happened.  Keep 'em, use them, and have fun.  

Link Posted: 8/13/2002 1:05:49 PM EDT
[#9]
This is a no-brainer...

There are boxcar loads of great pre-bans out there. Don't even think of posessing illegals.

Destroy em if you got em.

[O:)]

Psst... by the way, the man loves these kind of silly questions...
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 1:12:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 3:33:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Don't the magazine capacity limits die with the AW ban in two years?
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 3:38:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Don't the magazine capacity limits die with the AW ban in two years?
View Quote

With things as they are today, yes it does.
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 5:05:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for all your help and input,I will not be buying the mags,and will give the bad news to the owner.M10KEN OUT
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 7:32:41 PM EDT
[#14]
wait wait u are all wrong
according to ATF it has to have BOTH! a date stamp and the LEO marking to be considered a LEO mag 9/98 could mean anything! ill try to dig up that letter i have.
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 7:54:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Look real careful,one side says 9/98 and the other side of the mag says LEO.
And if you ever do get caught with one you can kiss your right to ever own a firearm again goodbye for life,not that i have ever hreard of anyone getting caught ,but why would any sane person risk it?
JJ
Link Posted: 8/14/2002 4:53:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
. . .  Someone tell me the last time they ever heard of someone prosecuted for possessing a post ban magazine.  I'll be willing to bet it has never happened.
View Quote

Though you may be right that there aren't many arrests for this, it's another drop in the bucket if something else should happen.[>(]

I keep thinking about that poor dumbass in Georgia being arrested with all those dummy grenades.
They're not even illegal (as are the LE/MIL mags), but the feds said they "could" be converted.  Yeah.  Only if you machine them, procure & install fuzes, procure & install explosive, etc. They still charged him.  It's just another charge to add to a list of charges.[(:)]
Link Posted: 8/14/2002 7:55:05 AM EDT
[#17]
I've seen some stamped 06/92 that should be legal to buy, since they're stamped pre 09/94.  

They also have the 6P199 mark.  What does that mean?
Link Posted: 8/14/2002 3:14:22 PM EDT
[#18]
found it right on ATF site!
not the MUST ALSO! if it doesnt have both on it its assumed to be preban

edit to fix bold
[url]http://atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#o15[/url]

What markings must appear on large capacity ammunition feeding devices manufactured after September 13, 1994? [Back]

Persons who import large capacity ammunition feeding devices manufactured after September 13, 1994, or manufacture large capacity ammunition feeding devices must legibly identify each device imported or manufactured by serial number and other prescribed markings. The same serial number may be used for all devices manufactured or imported. Such devices [b]must also be marked "RESTRICTED LAW ENFORCEMENT/ GOVERNMENT USE ONLY"[/b] or, in the case of devices manufactured for export, "FOR EXPORT ONLY." Domestically made devices must also be marked with the name, city and state of the manufacturer. Imported devices must be marked with the same of the manufacturer, country of origin, and name, city and state of the importer. Persons who manufacture or import metallic links for use in the assembly of belted ammunition are only required to place the prescribed identification marks on the containers used for packaging the links. [18 U. S. C. 923( i), 27 CFR 178.92( c)]

Link Posted: 8/14/2002 5:40:11 PM EDT
[#19]
cyrax777; you have mail. M10KEN
Link Posted: 8/14/2002 6:09:27 PM EDT
[#20]
But that ATF statement just says how they are to be marked, not that it's legal to own them if not marked correctly! It would seem that if you are caught with mags marked 08/99 but no LEO only, then you go to jail and the manufacture is in trouble as well.
Link Posted: 8/14/2002 6:35:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Troynm;  I agree with you 100%,the ATF makes it so simple for you to understand what they are trying to say,so you won't do any thing unlawful??  M10KEN
Link Posted: 8/14/2002 6:53:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

They also have the 6P199 mark.  What does that mean?
View Quote

That's the manufacturer's cage code.   Just identifies who they are, has NOTHING to do with preban/postban.
Link Posted: 8/14/2002 7:03:30 PM EDT
[#23]
The mags are probably for Canadian sales...They wouldn't say LEO USE ONLY if they were exported, would they?
Link Posted: 8/14/2002 8:31:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The mags are probably for Canadian sales...They wouldn't say LEO USE ONLY if they were exported, would they?
View Quote
as per the url i posted they would have to posed with the date and EXPORT only
Link Posted: 8/15/2002 2:26:37 AM EDT
[#25]
These are USGI post-ban magazines. It is a felony to possess them if you are not in one of the "authorized" groups. Yes they are not marked, and yes, that is what the law says, but they are still post-ban magazines and there is enough information about how several defense contractors failed to properly mark their magazines that it should be readily apparent that they are illegal post-bans.

Take them back to where you bought them from, and demand your money back or that they exchanged for pre-bans. If they refuse, call the ATF and tell them what happened.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top