Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/29/2002 8:22:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/29/2002 8:27:01 AM EDT by ArmaLiter]
While replying to a post on drivers on the road, the topic of cellular phones came up and this got to me to make this post. I have a cellular phone for which I only use it for emergency and short calls with. I also use a cell-phone at work for when I'm on the road to ask my boss a quiok question or two. This side of cellular phones can be seen useful, but what happens when cellular phones and pagers cause you more pain and work that it supposed to prevent? Before cell phones and pagers, people could enjoy their time away from work and enjoy their lunchbreak during work. Now I see, businessmen being cut from their lunch because their boss paged them; someone who is giving a seminar, rudely stops in the middle to answer her cell phone which she doesn't turn off during her speech; and a family's vacation is cut short because dad's supervisor paged him on the company pager which he cannot ignore because of company policy that dad MUST respond to the company pager. So now with cellular phones and pagers, many workers can't even enjoy a garanteed time off way from work, because now they can be reached at anytime at anyplace. I was in the movie theater a couple of times and if you notice they now have a screen before the show that says PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CELL PHONES AND PAGERS DURING THE SHOW. Well 10 minutes into the movie, at least two cell phones went off. Must of been Mr. Spacely calling Mr. Jetson that he needs him at work ASAP. [b]ArmaLiter[/b]
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 8:30:16 AM EDT
They are just like every other useful tool/toy, they are great till they are abused.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 8:32:20 AM EDT
"Sorry, Boss, I had the phone on Silent Ring/Vibrate when you called me as I was taking a dump. This is hilarious! It vibrated right out of my pocket and down the john!"
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 8:36:03 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 8:40:18 AM EDT
Originally Posted By VA-gunnut: Thats one of the reasons I don't own either. If someone wants to talk to me they can call my house and leave a message.
View Quote
Ditto, never had either, never will. Government tracking devices.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 8:41:45 AM EDT
Originally Posted By VA-gunnut: Thats one of the reasons I don't own either. If someone wants to talk to me they can call my house and leave a message.
View Quote
You have an answering machine??? OOOHHH EVIL!!!
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 8:45:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/29/2002 8:45:32 AM EDT by anti-gov-tinfoil-man]
Originally Posted By 1GUNRUNNER:
View Quote
You have an answering machine??? OOOHHH EVIL!!!
View Quote
Speaking of answering machines,[url=http://home.wi.rr.com/antigov/clint.mp3] here's[/url] my greeting.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 8:53:31 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 8:54:41 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 9:25:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/29/2002 9:27:27 AM EDT by Philadelphia_GunMan]
Cell phone and pages: foe. If I am home and you call me then I will talk to you. If I am out, then I am busy doing something and I don't want interuption. Leave a message and I will call you when I return home. Cell phones and pagers are nothing more then an electronic leash. And for all the women who always respond that they at the very least need a phone incase their car breaks down I say that I'd rather have a gun then a phone if my car breaks down.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 9:55:13 AM EDT
Foe:cell phone while driving especially folks who are to stupid to operate a vehicle in the first place! endangering everything around them but they are to involved with there own ego's to get the big picture. Foe:cell phone in restaurant,Ya' were here now Marsha is in the john changing the babies diaper she got her Menstraul cycle back God I thought I was on vacation from that one! Foe:pager or cell phone in the hands of any teenager WTF does a kid need w/ a cell phone!? Freind:Washoe County Sheriffs Department bumper stickers "Drive Now Talk Later" Self Explanitory:"Hang Up an Drive You ARSE!"(my truck)
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 10:04:16 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Philadelphia_GunMan: And for all the women who always respond that they at the very least need a phone incase their car breaks down I say that I'd rather have a gun then a phone if my car breaks down.
View Quote
So shooting the car is better than calling AAA? [:D] Like was said before, cell phones can be used for good or evil. I think it is an amazing convinience and almost always have it with me. But I almost always have it off. The biggest problem is that it turns into a ball and chain, cause it is most likely the "Ball and Chain" trying to reach me. [:P] Like anything: MODERATION is the key.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 10:08:19 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 10:56:57 AM EDT
I like my phone. Only a very few friends and family have the number and most hardly call. It has saved me countless hours at work and in my personal life. I don't talk on the phone in congested areas, just where traffic is easy to drive in. And the two times traffic has gotten bad suddenly, I've said so to the caller and dropped the phone. People that drive carelessly while they're talking should be ticketed. Here are the results of a AAA study. ========================================= The research found that 15 percent of drivers in the study were not paying attention and just over half of these (8.3 percent) were distracted by something inside or outside the vehicle. When drivers with unknown attention status were removed from the data, the percentage of distracted drivers rose to 12.9 percent. The study found that drivers were most often distracted by something outside their vehicle (29.4 percent) followed by adjusting a radio or CD player (11.4 percent). Other specific distractions included talking with other occupants (10.9 percent), adjusting vehicle or climate controls (2.8 percent), eating or drinking (1.7 percent), cell phone use (1.5 percent) and smoking (0.9 percent). [url]http://www.ouraaa.com/traveler/0111/distracted_b.html[/url] ==================================== misanthrope747
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 11:14:46 AM EDT
Excellent survivlal tool. Annoying toy other then that. I have to have one for my work. There actually really cool devices if you can get away with leaving it off other then to make a call.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 1:56:02 PM EDT
It's getting to the point that people can't even take vacation anymore. It seems that "electronic leash" is becoming more and more prevelant. One of the reasons I left my last job was due to them wanting me to be available 24/7.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 3:41:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/29/2002 3:42:43 PM EDT by LS1Eddie]
I'd rather have a gun then a phone if my car breaks down.
View Quote
I carry both. I look for the stickers that say, "How well can you drive with that phone stuck up your a$$." I pull alongside and pretend I'm talking on the phone. One moron ran through a red light while shaking his fist at me. Fortunately, other drivers were more attentive than he was. On the other side of the coin, several months ago a sanitation worker was killed when a driver crushed him between the front of his Cadillac and the rear of the garbage truck. A witiness said the driver was talking on the phone and appeared to be reading something when he hit the poor guy. Like anything else, it all comes down to responsibility. Eddie
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 6:28:45 PM EDT
CMT - Foe. It DOES have its uses, but the "no roaming" isn't, people are always on the damn things (what's so important you have to talk about it walking across a parking lot?) Kids don't need them in schools - I don't bloody care what anyone says, and they are a general damn nuisance. For the AAA study - I have never been "near missed" by someone working on a Big Mac or lighting a smoke, but it's happened enough that I quit counting when cellphones got involved. I got knocked off my bicycle once because some damn fool was on the phone. I once lead the Facilities department at Adobe Systems, and had a pinhead boss that issued me a radio, a pager, AND a cellphone! I didn't mind the radio, as it connected me with the rest of my crew (and we weren't shy about saying "hold on" if we were already talking to someone - no problem, I understand. Very rarely did I have to pull someone out of a face-to-face, and ALWAYS for a good reason!) I don't know WHY I "needed" a phone AND a pager, just the pager did fine. I did manage to go thru eight cellphones (destroyed or lost) in four months before the boss got the idea - and I still had to TELL him! "What do we have to do to help you not destroy phones?" "Easy - quit giving them to me." Of course, this was a job putting in 16-20 hour days six days/week for three years, and only having time for the pisser twice per day! Thank G-d for overtime pay... I don't mind a cellphone as an emergency device, but turn the damn thing OFF when you aren't using it! I have found that some people look pretty damn strange with a celllphone jammed into a random orifice... FFZ
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 7:09:52 PM EDT
Are some of you bitching about how, if you did have a cell phone, it would piss you off if someone called you and you didn't want to talk?
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 7:28:14 PM EDT
Not too long ago as I was leaving work, I got behind one of my coworkers. As soon as we were on the highway, She startes weaving all over the road, off the road, and only doing 35 in a 55 mph zone. When I got to the stoplight, I pulled beside her to turn left to go home and could see her yakking on a cell phone. I wonder where she was going that was so important that she couldn't make her call in the parking lot. I wish NC would ban the use of cell phones in moving motor vehicles unless they have a hands-free device. [soapbox] [soapbox] [soapbox] [soapbox] Vulcan94
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 7:35:22 PM EDT
[URL=http://abcnews.go.com/sections/world/DailyNews/phone001205.html] Cell phones? [/URL] Sure, [URL=http://www.artbell.com/mediafiles/CellPhoneVideo.mpg] I'll take one [/URL] [:D]
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 7:47:28 PM EDT
Originally Posted By FreeFireZone: I don't mind a cellphone as an emergency device, but turn the damn thing OFF when you aren't using it! FFZ
View Quote
Many restaurants, theaters and even corporate board rooms in Japan have installed jamming devices designed to block incoming calls... and it's perfectly legal. While Japan has a *LONG* way to go as far as entrusting their citizens with owning firearms, at least they recognize that common courtesy has it's bounds.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 8:35:56 PM EDT
... I don't have a land line any more. Mobile only. Has vibrate mode for church. Don't miss any calls I don't want to at work or school. Caller ID. Saves $38 a month on hard wire. Cable modem for home. ... Out of courtesy I won't answer in movies, meetings or lecture. ... Technology has its rewards
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 9:00:14 PM EDT
I carry both for work. My V60t phone has caller id, and the AT&T service gives me voice mail. The phone also records missed calls as well, so I know who called and when. I am going to turn off my two way pager and just use SMS on the phone. Use the caller id, missed calls list, and voice mail and the stop ringing button to manage your incoming calls. Set the phone to silent or vibrate mode as necessary, and be fully prepared to ignore calls and call them back as required. And for heavens sake, get your self a handsfree kit or headset. Zero install kits are cheap, all you need to do is plug it to a cigarette lighter, and the speaker someplace, and connect it to the phone. Headset kits consist of a ear piece and a handy microphone. Fumbling with or holding the phone is the cause of problems while driving, not talking on it.
Top Top