Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2004 1:39:53 AM EDT
So the geniuses at the broward county school board have decided that students have a "right" to have a cell phone at school.  ELEMENTARY SCHOOLS.  Evidently they had already allowed middle & high school, and decided it wasn't fair to exclude the elementary students.  The morning news interviewed some parents (of course, most of these parents were barely capable of speaking English) and they were in favor of it.

What on earth does a student, any student, need with a cell phone at school?  How on earth did the rest of us ever survive without them?

They also interviewed some "guidance counselor" about it, and she said that parents should have the right to choose if their child should have a phone or not.  But what about the right of the other students and the teachers to learn without the distraction of some 12 year old setting up his pot buy for later on the playground?
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 1:43:46 AM EDT
[#1]
I can't figure out what is so important that a 10 year old needs a phone. I didn't start using the phone till I was 12.
Do mommy and daddy really need to stay in touch with Jr. 24/7?
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 2:06:37 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't own a cell phone and probably never will.  And I'll be damned if any child of mine will ever carry one around.

What is so fucking important to a kid that they have to carry a damn phone around everywhere.  And in elementary school at that!

Makes my blood boil.  Well, simmer at least.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 4:56:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Don't get me started...

People have lost their minds with cell phones.  The competition among vendors has driven the price to constantly gab about nothing down to the level where there is virtually no financial penalty for excess usage.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:06:28 AM EDT
[#4]
No problem if they are turned off during class.  If it rings during class, give the kid after school detention for about a week each time it happens.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:08:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Both my 9 year odl son and 11 year old daughter have cell phones that they carry with them everywhere.  It is a safety thing.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:08:55 AM EDT
[#6]
In my day if you had a pager you were instantly suspended.  Nevermind that I was the epitome of a latch key teen because I went to school 30 miles from home and wasn't necessarily going home from school.  It was one of the easy ways for my mom to keep tabs on me.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:09:13 AM EDT
[#7]
They need it so that they can text message test answers.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:09:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Wait until the little buggers take their picture phones into the school locker rooms.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:19:25 AM EDT
[#9]
We are getting one for Lil Ops, since the Princess will be driving him to & from school if she doesn't have to work extra hours.  The phone is to tell him to ride the bus and call me to pick him up at the bus stop.  Besides, if he is mature enough to be trusted with this, I think he can handle a cell phone.

Ops
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:19:46 AM EDT
[#10]

Yet another reason I spend $7,000 a year to send my daughter to a Catholic high school.  Cell phones, pagers, PDAs are all verbotten.  Confiscated on sight.  She even has nuns that yell at students who are being idiots.  Try that one at public school - discipline - what a concept.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 11:20:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Safety, safety, safety.

What did you do before cell phones?  
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 11:23:19 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Safety, safety, safety.

Worry.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 11:24:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Cell phones are usually given to kids who have no parents at home for when they get out of school.  Since their parents don't love them enought to have so one at home at all times for them they give the kid a phone instead.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 11:31:39 AM EDT
[#14]
The only problem I have with cell phones in schools is if it disrupts classroom activities. They can yap away all they want at lunch and before and after school as far as I am concerned.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 11:33:03 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Safety, safety, safety.

Worry.

And what was wrong with that?
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 11:35:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Why not have a cell phone? Dude, this is the year 2004.  For pennies a day you can put a little device in your pocket that lets you get ahold of just about anybody whenever you want.  How did we get by without them? Well, we wasted time waiting until we met up with somebody to ask them something, we wasted time driving around finding pay phones, and we wasted time waiting for somebody to stop and give us a lift when our car broke down (or walk).  People in car accidents "got by" by waiting while somebody (hopefully) got to a home or a pay phone to call for an ambulance. You might as well ask how we "got by" using Commodore 64s back in the 80s.  Sure, it seemed super duper at the time but technology moves on.  You know, not too long ago lots of people got by without even taking a bath more than once a year (if ever).  
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 11:38:16 AM EDT
[#17]
My son has diabetes. He takes insulin every day, every meal. Sometimes he has a reaction to it. With all the budget cuts, there are no school nurses and the rest of the staff does not want to get involved....cause they don't know. He has a cell phone to call me anytime he wants. I'll deal with the schools no cell phone policy if and when it comes to it............I really don't want to own an entire school system
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 11:41:17 AM EDT
[#18]
My 14 year old daughter carries one at all times.  Of course she has it turned off in school.  If it were legal for her carry a .38 she wouldn't need it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 11:42:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 12:10:54 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Why not have a cell phone? Dude, this is the year 2004.  For pennies a day you can put a little device in your pocket that lets you get ahold of just about anybody whenever you want.  How did we get by without them? Well, we wasted time waiting until we met up with somebody to ask them something, we wasted time driving around finding pay phones, and we wasted time waiting for somebody to stop and give us a lift when our car broke down (or walk).  People in car accidents "got by" by waiting while somebody (hopefully) got to a home or a pay phone to call for an ambulance. You might as well ask how we "got by" using Commodore 64s back in the 80s.  Sure, it seemed super duper at the time but technology moves on.  You know, not too long ago lots of people got by without even taking a bath more than once a year (if ever).  

Good post - just what I was thinking without having to bother typing it myself...
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 2:09:45 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Both my 9 year odl son and 11 year old daughter have cell phones that they carry with them everywhere.  It is a safety thing.

agreed.  i kept one in my bookbag in HS, never turned it on though.  my little brother carried one in middle school and has one in HS
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 4:06:10 PM EDT
[#22]
I have carried a cell phone full time since I was 16. This includes at school.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 4:17:39 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm relatively young myself, but pagers were the limit of technology when I was a student.  Cellular phones were in use, but were waaay to cost prohibitive.  

Now with phones being so damn cheap, and service not being very expensive either, I have seen kids of middleschool age walking around with cell phones.   I got by without one until I was 21, and could function without one.  It's convenient, but it's a convenience a child doesn't need.

When I have kids, if they want a phone, fine, they'll get the cheapest piece of shit.  Then I'll limit their calling so they can only call me, and their mother, and only receive calls from me and their mother.   Or no phone at all.  If they want to call their friends, they can get a job and buy their own phone and pay their own bill.  

There is no need for a kid to have to call anyone from school.  In an emergency, the  school has the parent's phone numbers.  If the kid needs to call for non emergency stuff, they can use the office phone to call mom or dad.  If the parents have an emergency, they can call the school.  It ain't that hard.  

Cell phones in the classroom = bad.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 4:18:16 PM EDT
[#24]
i just finished my student teaching at a school that allowed students to carry cell phones on them at all times during the day, granted they were supposed to be turned off. like many rules in this HS it was not enforced by the administration and students would send text messages to one another all day, a few kids would even take a call in the classroom if groupwork was going on. basically i dont care if a kid has one in school but it needs to be turned off during instructional time and the administration needs to enforce their rules drastically.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 4:22:10 PM EDT
[#25]
9/11. That's what changed the policy in the local district. In any event, I want my kid to be able to reach me, because I don't trust teachers any more than I do any other stranger or mere acquaintance when it comes to my kid's welfare. He has to leave it off at school, absent some emergency, and it isn't text-message capable.

Link Posted: 8/19/2004 4:24:45 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
No problem if they are turned off during class.  If it rings during class, give the kid after school detention for about a week each time it happens.

What he said. Go ahead and bring it, just leave it in your backpack and TURNED OFF. If it so much as even comes out during a class it should be confiscated and the student removed. Unless it's an emergency there's no need for the thing to be out during class.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 4:30:13 PM EDT
[#27]
It's for the children!
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:05:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Not in my school.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:08:25 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Yet another reason I spend $7,000 a year to send my daughter to a Catholic high school.  Cell phones, pagers, PDAs are all verbotten.  Confiscated on sight.  She even has nuns that yell at students who are being idiots.  Try that one at public school - discipline - what a concept.

Same here for Little Ramjet. Wonderful school and we're not Catholic!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top