Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 3/22/2006 9:53:39 PM EDT
Anyone with either of these two phones, what do you like/dislike about them. I have to get a new personal cell phone, the one I had (an LG) has been slowly dying on me for a while, and finally bit the dust today. I dont like the idea of having to buy a new phone (expensive bastards), but these are the two I have it narrowed down to, that my cell provider has on hand.

Most of the people around here really hate the v710 for some reason, any one here with that particular phone?

Right now I am leaning towards the RAZR, but I am still not sure. Both are the same price here, with a new contract.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:54:32 PM EDT
SLVR. I LOVE it.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:55:47 PM EDT

Originally Posted By jnewson:
SLVR. I LOVE it.

I cannot get that here, has to be CDMA, and one of the two phones I listed in the first post.

I would LOVE to have a cdma slvr phone available though
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:57:26 PM EDT
I have a RAZR and it's nice, but the camera sucks and the button pad takes a while to get used to.

However I do like its battery life- It can go 3-4 days if you don't use it much. I goes into a "sleep"mode when you don't use it. It's small and looks good too.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:04:06 PM EDT

Originally Posted By adair_usmc:
Anyone with either of these two phones, what do you like/dislike about them. I have to get a new personal cell phone, the one I had (an LG) has been slowly dying on me for a while, and finally bit the dust today. I dont like the idea of having to buy a new phone (expensive bastards), but these are the two I have it narrowed down to, that my cell provider has on hand.

Most of the people around here really hate the v710 for some reason, any one here with that particular phone?

Right now I am leaning towards the RAZR, but I am still not sure. Both are the same price here, with a new contract.

I have the V-710; in fact I am about to put it up for sale on ebay. I no longer subscribe to Verizon. It is a very good handset; the Bluetooth works exceedingly well and the call clarity is great. VZW crippled the BT on the unit to allow it to only access headsets; you can get an upgrade to the handset if you take it to the VZW store as part of their settlement with BT interest group.

The camera and video capabilities are teh suck. The phone software and internet browser are spectacularly good.

The handset's in great shape; it was given to me by my VZW rep (I'm in the biz, as you might guess from looking at my avatar). They don't need it back.

Let me know if you are interested.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:05:40 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 20iner:
I have a RAZR and it's nice, but the camera sucks and the button pad takes a while to get used to.

However I do like its battery life- It can go 3-4 days if you don't use it much. I goes into a "sleep"mode when you don't use it. It's small and looks good too.

Thats one of the drawbacks I have heard about the V710s - sucky battery life, and the volume on the earpiece. One review I read online said something about people who have that phone sounding scratchy to whomever they are talking to... The one plus it does have is that it does both analog and digital, though there arent any more analog areas around here anymore.

How clear is the RAZR on calls? Does it have good volume, and clear sound from the earpiece?
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:25:00 PM EDT
I have a 710. I put the high capacity battery on it and not only increases run time, the bump out on the back makes it easier for me to hold on to. I use the web feature, blue tooth and the phone. I do not use the camera. I'm not paying to get a crummy pic sent to me or what ever Verizon's game is. If Razr was out when I got it, I'm not sure which I would have picked. Friend has Razr and is satisfied.

I'm a tech type, don't need the thin profile and carry it in a niteIze case. It works in areas my older phone would break up, so I'm happy.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:30:01 PM EDT
Razr's are over rated. Get the E815, it's the improved version of the v710. You'll like it.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:30:57 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Gunbert:
Razr's are over rated. Get the E815, it's the improved version of the v710. You'll like it.

Cant, US cellular doesnt sell them here.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:36:45 PM EDT
I love my RAZR
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:54:40 AM EDT
bump for the day crew.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:03:27 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:06:29 AM EDT
Ive had 2 Razrs...one on Cingular which was absolutely horrible. Everyone I talked to sounded as if they were underwater..also would drop calls on a regular basis (I think this was more of a Cingular problem rather then the phone)..the Tmobile is better, doesnt drop calls but it does have a gargling sound at times...people voices will drop out and then right back on. Plus its getting alot of dust particles UNDER the screen. I love the small size (I always keep my phone in my front pocket and I usually forget its there)...the battery life is good also. I only charge it every other day and I use it quite often.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:30:26 AM EDT

Originally Posted By testosteroneOD:
Ive had 2 Razrs...one on Cingular which was absolutely horrible. Everyone I talked to sounded as if they were underwater..also would drop calls on a regular basis (I think this was more of a Cingular problem rather then the phone)..the Tmobile is better, doesnt drop calls but it does have a gargling sound at times...people voices will drop out and then right back on. Plus its getting alot of dust particles UNDER the screen. I love the small size (I always keep my phone in my front pocket and I usually forget its there)...the battery life is good also. I only charge it every other day and I use it quite often.

Yeah, I heard cingular recalled the GSM version of the RAZR. According to all the information I can find, the CDMA version has had no major persistant issues. Thanks for your input.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:30:38 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:33:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/23/2006 6:34:27 AM EDT by legalese77]
I have a V710 with US Cellular and I like it well enough.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:36:20 AM EDT
I have a V710 (actually 2 of them my wife has one too) and I have not the first problem with it. The only thing that I don't care for is that the buttons on the side to change the ring style from off/vib/low/high always seem to get set to off or vib but NEVER low or high. The camera that is in there is really just a camera in name only it sort of sux. I have the TXT/PIX package and I find that really handy for talking with the wife. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask me, I would be glad to help you out.

FWIW I will never buy another LG mine was a screaming POS, I hated it from day one. It just quit working out of the blue twice but Verizon did replace them for free.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:45:33 AM EDT
I've been considering a Razor also but Verizon won't cut me a deal since my cuurent subscription lasts until Dec. What's the best place to get one?

Bomber
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:02:49 AM EDT
CNN (did I say that?) last week reported that the razor phone had a glitch that was causing an unusual number of dropped calls.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:07:08 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 20iner:

Thats one of the drawbacks I have heard about the V710s - sucky battery life, and the volume on the earpiece. One review I read online said something about people who have that phone sounding scratchy to whomever they are talking to... The one plus it does have is that it does both analog and digital, though there arent any more analog areas around here anymore.

How clear is the RAZR on calls? Does it have good volume, and clear sound from the earpiece?

i have the 710 i have NONE of those problems
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:24:33 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 50cal:
Mine is with Cingular and sounds like I'm standing right next to them. I have a v3 and am happy with it.

+1

Volume could use improvement (as with any phone I suppose) and it can be done. But you have to go into the phone programming and play with the settings.

The form factor is perfect, being wide it fits the hand very nicely and easy to hold.

Being thin, you can just drop it in your pocket.

If it is open and you are on speakerphone you can close it and the call remains active, on speakerphone. (you can only "slam" the phone on someone if you have the earpiece active )

Highly customizable using the standard menus.

Camera is a 4/10. But hey ...

Is capable of doing video (20 seconds)
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:16:54 PM EDT

Originally Posted By thebomber:
I've been considering a Razor also but Verizon won't cut me a deal since my cuurent subscription lasts until Dec. What's the best place to get one?

Bomber

Ebay is your best bet, if you're not boycotting them.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:21:51 PM EDT
Razr here.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:54:29 PM EDT
Sent you an IM.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:03:44 PM EDT

Originally Posted By deej86:
Sent you an IM.

thanks
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:09:46 PM EDT
Id want a V710 myself.

Id get one but the cost to upgrade holds me back
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:22:27 PM EDT

Yeah, I heard cingular recalled the GSM version of the RAZR. According to all the information I can find, the CDMA version has had no major persistant issues. Thanks for your input.

I've had my two Cingular GSM phones for 6 months and they work great. Best cell phones we've ever had. Reception and sound is exceptional for me and I live in rural area.

This is just my experience, so YMMV.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:24:15 PM EDT
If you have to go CDMA, get the V710 replacement, the Motorola E815.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:27:02 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 0100010:
If you have to go CDMA, get the V710 replacement, the Motorola E815.

Can't, local carriers do not have them.

I wish we had all the cool phones around here. I want to get one that the carriers around here have in stock, so I can get a good deal on one.

Verizon does offer service here, but I would take a shotgun blast to the face before I would ever get service through them. UNICEL (CellularOne) also has service around here, but I have had great service with US Cellular so far.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:33:33 PM EDT
Razr.

I've had one for almost a year now. The battery life is starting to wane a little bit, but I can still go 3 or 4 days before it starts showing a drain.

It's good as a PHONE and nothing more. I wouldn't recommend it as anything but a PHONE. Signal reception is good, sound quality is great, and the speakerphone is VERY good. The display is big and easy to read. The buttons do take a little bit to get used to. My '4' button sometimes doesn't register when I hit it, like when I text message someone, but a good firm push and it works.

I like that I can just slip it in my pocket and almost forget it's there.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:36:40 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Matthew_Q:
Razr.

I've had one for almost a year now. The battery life is starting to wane a little bit, but I can still go 3 or 4 days before it starts showing a drain.

It's good as a PHONE and nothing more. I wouldn't recommend it as anything but a PHONE. Signal reception is good, sound quality is great, and the speakerphone is VERY good. The display is big and easy to read. The buttons do take a little bit to get used to. My '4' button sometimes doesn't register when I hit it, like when I text message someone, but a good firm push and it works.

I like that I can just slip it in my pocket and almost forget it's there.

Well, I am not in the market for one so I can use it as a suppository, thats for sure

Thanks for the input. Really leaning towards the Razr.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:35:47 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Gunbert:

Originally Posted By thebomber:

Bomber

Ebay is your best bet, if you're not boycotting them.

I'm a whore so I'll take them off boycott for this. Any idea what price I should be paying?

Bomber
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:56:16 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Nozzleman:
CNN (did I say that?) last week reported that the razor phone had a glitch that was causing an unusual number of dropped calls.

that is true..

any razrs motorola shipped after feb 1 were deffective..

issue was cleared up within days.. we had to send all the phones back and they were fixed..

if you do have an issue with the phone it will be replaced,
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:00:27 AM EDT
Moto makes fuckin amazing radio communications equipment. Their telephone/cellular department is lacking however. If you can get a Spectra with a continuous autopatch, get that!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:04:04 AM EDT
If you are a shirt and tie guy like me the Razr V3c is an excellent choice. But I returned my back to Alltel under there plan and purchased the Nokia 6255i.

The Razr had a decent battery life and an internal antenna, but the Bluetooth feature for DUN was software locked. A big issue for me without hacking.

The 6255i has no issues, better reception, great battery life and the FM and MP3 application with a stereo headset for my outdoor life is perfect.

All of these products will be ancient history 6 months from now.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:04:29 AM EDT
I just got the razor v3c in dec and love it big screen easy to read thin, light weight. only down side is the shinny polished metal atracts your skin oils easy other than that awsome phone.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:06:55 AM EDT

The one plus it does have is that it does both analog and digital, though there arent any more analog areas around here anymore.

I got a V710 because it had BT and analog. If you get out in the boonies the analog is helpfull.
Top Top