Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/21/2013 9:04:43 AM EDT
My DSL contract is coming to an end. I'm paying throught the nose for shitty service. 3mb down, 1mb up. Over $100/month.

I have a cell phone with unlimited data. Grandfathered Verizon. I live on the border of 3g/4g. My plan is to actively (or passively) boost the 4G signal, so I have a good reliable 4G connection. Then, I'll use that for internet, ditch the DSL. Even with the added $30 tethering fee, I'd still be ahead in the game.

Ideas/comments/equipment recommendations?
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 11:28:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 6:36:23 AM EDT
[#2]
I've heard good reports about Wilson repeaters. Anyone use them first hand? Anyone use just a directional antenna? I'm just on the fringe, so my guess is that a directional may be all I need.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 9:03:16 AM EDT
[#3]
What about a MiFi router using your unlimited data sim card, and then go get another cell phone plan?

Link Posted: 10/24/2013 9:05:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What about a MiFi router using your unlimited data sim card, and then go get another cell phone plan?
View Quote

I will not be using that line for calls any longer. The Mifi isn't a bad idea. However, we still have the issue with 4G reception.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 2:37:10 PM EDT
[#5]
try shopping around for a good local wire line provider or a local wireless provider. We have many in the area that is a good price for what you are getting and how you are getting it. Check on best buy website they have a internet provider finder.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 4:15:01 PM EDT
[#6]
My options are the local telco, satellite, or cell.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 8:30:00 PM EDT
[#7]

Good guy and good products. Never tried it at the 4g side, since the place I use it is 3g only.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:18:59 AM EDT
[#8]
I had bought an antenna for the rooftop and and a repeater, worked great until the day after I got it installed and Verizon brought another antenna online thereby cancelling my need for a repeater.  So I have one just sitting in the garage if you are interested.  Have a bunch of end connections for it and coax cable too.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:30:38 PM EDT
[#9]
I've had a few of their 3G boosters…used to keep one in my truck for AT&T (I think I still have it somewhere but I gave up on AT&T). Not a huge fan of Wilson's antennas…I've only ever dealt with their mobile antennas though. I'd look for a MiFi that can use an external antenna and see if you can't just get by with a directional antenna.

I don't know the price of the 4G repeaters/boosters, but one thing you could do is one of the networkable MiFi's at a friend's in 4G land with a Ubiquity link back to your place. I run a few smaller AP links (where speed isn't the largest concern) several miles over 2.4GHz systems.

My parents subscribe to a Ubiquity service that comes in from 12 miles away at their summer home. It's not like the 30 down, 2 up service I have or the 50 down, 5 up service they have but you can watch Netflix movies on it. They get something like 10 down and .5 up on average from that…had HughesNet prior and what they are running now is far superior.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 3:47:44 PM EDT
[#10]

This. I too am on a fringe area with 2 bars intermittent and spotty 4G.

Spent approx. $400 for a repeater, antenna, cables and surge stoppers. Now I have excellent 4G coverage on my property and 4 bars constant phone coverage, Great gear.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top