Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/21/2004 4:46:41 AM EST
I'm looking at finally getting some new cell phones. I don't need top of the line but would like a camera phone. I'm leaning towards the Motorola V400.
Anybody have good/bad experience with the phone? Any other options??
Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:03:26 AM EST
I've had great service from Nextel. Their phones are tough as hell. I've had them work as far as 50 nmiles out to sea.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:22:16 AM EST

Originally Posted By mkgunz:
I've had great service from Nextel. Their phones are tough as hell. I've had them work as far as 50 nmiles out to sea.

Some of the more hardcore "HBAR" cellphones Nextel offers are pretty damn indestructable. On one of our construction sites a subcontractor dropped his about 20' down a block wall and it landed on concrete. Other than some scuffs the phone worked fine. It weighed a ton for a cell phone but it could take a beating.

I have Verizon and they have their +/-. I do think they have the best coverage areas right now and their plans are fairly good. As with most you can sign a contract for 1 or 2 years to get discounts on phones/accessories. You can avoid the contract but pay more.

Also look at T-Mobile, they seem to have decent offers and are one of the few US cellphone companies that offer worldphones (I think its the GDM standard?)
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 2:02:53 PM EST
I can attest to wgjhsaft. I dropped a regular Nextel flip phone down a 4 level trunk on a ship. straight down to a steel deck. It bounced and was fine. I lost my temper and smashed it off the cab of my truck(yes I'm an idiot). It dented my truck and didn't even crack the phone.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 2:06:54 PM EST
I just got a new sanyo from sprint that is rubber armored. Seems heavy duty and I love sprint service.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:43:20 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/22/2004 3:43:38 PM EST by Dru]

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:48:35 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:56:19 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/22/2004 3:56:47 PM EST by Gunbert]
I'd be wary of Motorola cellphones, their QC has been really, really, really bad the last few years.

Take a look around these two sites, they're for cell phone geeks and can give you a lot of good feedback from people in the industry: www.phonescoop.com and www.howardforums.com

Hope that helps!
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:00:17 PM EST
Ask people around where you live, so that you get a good idea of who has the best service.
Top Top