Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2014 4:15:52 PM EDT
I know I pay less than a lot of people but I want to lower all of my bills if possible. I've cut out T.V. service. I'm thinking about cutting home internet which is $50 per month. Now I'm looking at mobile phone bill. My wife and I have to have a cell phone that we can receive text and email with but we want to cut our bill as much as possible. Right now we pay around $160 per month that includes two phones and sharing only 2GB of data. Has anyone else lowered there cell phone bills? How did you do it?
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 4:20:17 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I know I pay less than a lot of people but I want to lower all of my bills if possible. I've cut out T.V. service. I'm thinking about cutting home internet which is $50 per month. Now I'm looking at mobile phone bill. My wife and I have to have a cell phone that we can receive text and email with but we want to cut our bill as much as possible. Right now we pay around $160 per month that includes two phones and sharing only 2GB of data. Has anyone else lowered there cell phone bills? How did you do it?
View Quote

Me and my wife do TMobile Prepaid - $50/ea ($100 plus tax) a month, unlimited text/call, unlimited data, with first 1GB at 3G speeds, 2G thereafter.

$60/mo for 3GB at 3G - I usually do that due to me not being around the home wifi except at night.

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 4:21:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Me and my wife do TMobile Prepaid - $50/ea ($100 plus tax) a month, unlimited text/call, unlimited data, with first 2GB at 3G speeds, 2G thereafter.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me and my wife do TMobile Prepaid - $50/ea ($100 plus tax) a month, unlimited text/call, unlimited data, with first 2GB at 3G speeds, 2G thereafter.

I will check into that. Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 4:22:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I cut my bill from $85 a month to , I think, $45 a month. Switched from verizon with 2gb of data to Net10(same as straight talk) and have either 2.5 or 3gb of data a month now. Service is about the same but I talk off of ATT towers now so not really a good comparison, I am happy with the switch so far though.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 4:23:03 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Me and my wife just upgraded to the Samsung Galaxy S3s by buying them for $100/ea off craigslist, and swapping sim card over. Way cheaper long term, as long as you don't mind staying a generation or two behind. Otherwise you can buy the newest greatest at retail if that's your thing.

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 4:23:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 4:24:36 PM EDT
[#6]
That's too much.

Verizon has a $60 smartphone plan.

Verizon has the coverage that I need though. If you don't need the coverage then there are cheaper options.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 4:25:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I dropped the data and went with Tracfone for voice/text only.  $30 for the phone with starter minutes included.  I buy a yearly pack of 600ish minutes once a year for $100.   I do all my data work from a DSL line at home ($24 a month), setup as a UNE, no dial tone/phone service on it.  TV from an antenna.  I'm quite happy with this setup and save a ton of money each year.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 4:26:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Ting.com

You're welcome.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 4:29:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Switched a couple of Verizon smart phones to Straight Talk about a month ago.  About $50 per month per line with taxes.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1660997_Looking_to_reduce_our_cell_phone_bill___Cellphone_cheapskates_please_enter_and_give_advice_.html&page=1
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 4:31:30 PM EDT
[#10]
My bill is like 3 bucks a month as I almost never use my phone at all.

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 4:33:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Brightspot Mobile (T Mobile MVNO) $30 unlimited voice and text per line.

$45 per line for unlimited everything.

They have other plans that fit in between these two plans.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 4:35:33 PM EDT
[#12]
I use both PagePlus and SelectTel.
I have my kids and wife and I on their yearly plans. The kids are in school and have wifi available, while I use wifi at home and the wife has a dumb phone so doesn't need data. The services use the Verizon network and phones.
It all depends on how much you use your phones and how you handle data usage.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 5:06:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I use both PagePlus and SelectTel.
I have my kids and wife and I on their yearly plans. The kids are in school and have wifi available, while I use wifi at home and the wife has a dumb phone so doesn't need data. The services use the Verizon network and phones.
It all depends on how much you use your phones and how you handle data usage.
View Quote

2nd. I have Page Plus, two phones. Unlimited talk n text, data is something like 500mb or a gig. Don't know, because I'm always well under that with wifi use. $61/month for both phones.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 5:10:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Net10 phone.  It makes and receives phone calls.

$5 phone at Best Buy

~$25 a month for 1000 minutes.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 7:33:36 PM EDT
[#15]
My wife and I have non-smart phones that get limited internet. We get 1000 minutes / month for $25 or so. Walmart/LG phones.

Also for good deals on airtime, look at Pinzoo.com.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 7:35:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Straight Talk, $45 per month for unlimited talk, text, and data.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 8:01:49 PM EDT
[#17]

Check out Virgin Mobile.

The PayLo plan has 3 levels.  

I have slide phone (not smart phone) that I can talk with and text, for $20 per month.

May not suite your needs, but it is an option

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 8:14:48 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm switching my cell to corporate billing in the next month or so.  $110 a month savings for me. Pissed that my boss didn't tell me about it sooner.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 8:19:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Yeah, me too. My bill costs me 30 bucks a month. Damn ripoff!!! lol
Straight talk FTW. Fuck contract phones!
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 8:21:48 PM EDT
[#20]
PagePlus.  I pay $29.95/mo.  for 1200 min/3000 text/ 500 mb data.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 8:24:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Straighttalk.  $45/mo for unlimited everything.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 8:29:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 8:36:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Tablet with Google voice. $30/mo (old grandfathered VZW plan)

But I could probably drop it if I wasnt under contract.

Just FSA wifi from everywhere.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 8:47:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Ting.com

You're welcome.
View Quote

This. Pay for what you use...most of it is on wifi anyway.

Do the online calculator, save!
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 8:48:17 PM EDT
[#25]
At and t, we have two iPhones unlimited talk text and 2 gigs of data for $90 a month
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 8:49:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Virgin walmart fone. $20 with unlimited min for $20
Text is limited
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 8:59:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 9:03:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

stop sucking the cell phone companies cocks stop buying the latest phone. I haven't had a phone contract in 4 years. I pay $47 a month for verizon 4g lte service unlimited text and calls 1 gig of data total. i pay an additional $20 every couple of months for 3 more gigs of data. used S3 from fleabay.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 9:14:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

stop sucking the cell phone companies cocks stop buying the latest phone. I haven't had a phone contract in 4 years. I pay $47 a month for verizon 4g lte service unlimited text and calls 1 gig of data total. i pay an additional $20 every couple of months for 3 more gigs of data. used S3 from fleabay.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which service do you use?
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 9:16:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I pay less than you with a contract and get the newest phones and more data. Also through verizon.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 9:38:17 PM EDT
[#31]
View Quote

Came to post this.

Cricket is owned by AT&T. The wife and I pay $90 total a month for 3 gigs of LTE service each. After the 3 gigs you get throttled down. Unlimited talk and text.

The wife and I each got the Nokia Lumia 630. They were $49 each and we each get a $49 rebate. It runs windows phone 8.1 and it's pretty nice for pretty much a free phone. It's an upgrade from the iPhone 4 I was previously using. I love Cortana.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 10:26:38 PM EDT
[#32]
View Quote

Cricket uses ATT towers.  45 month unlimited talk text+2gigs 3g.  Screw the big contract clowns.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 11:12:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I pay less than you with a contract and get the newest phones and more data. Also through verizon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yeah and diesel trucks get 30 mpg on the highway.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 11:21:33 PM EDT
[#34]
I use a Net10 phone, $100.00/6 months service, carryover minutes.  I currently have 3,000 minutes of carry over time.  I get service anywhere I've been, think they use Verizon, not sure.  I had AT&T before that and couldn't even use the phone unless I went outside.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 11:30:56 PM EDT
[#35]
There are lots of options out there depending on if you are in or out of contract. We use straight talk for one of the phones and are satisfied.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top