Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/14/2005 1:31:34 PM EDT
Thursday, December 8, 2005

Re: "Tell it like it is" (letters, Nov. 28).

We at Ceasefire NJ are always grateful to letter writers who increase our visibility by citing us, no matter the content of what they write.

Let us, indeed, tell it like it is:

Yes, Ceasefire NJ is the Garden State's leading organization devoted to reducing gun violence and, yes, we have no interest in restricting the responsible use of legitimate hunting and sporting weapons.

Far from "doing nothing to prevent gun violence by criminals," Ceasefire NJ is working diligently to raise awareness about the flow of illegal handguns from Philadelphia to Camden caused by Pennsylvania's lax gun laws. These laws have led to Camden's designation as the nation's "most dangerous city." Sorry if the letter writer missed the article about our rally in Camden's Fairview neighborhood ("Students attend Ceasefire event: Anti-violence group holds press conference in Fairview," C-P, Nov. 17).

Despite what the letter writer said, Ceasefire NJ does not seek to ban muzzle-loading .50 caliber hunting rifles. We have worked with hunters to ensure our proposed state ban on .50-caliber sniper rifles specifically exempts muzzle loaders.

But .50-caliber sniper rifles are massively destructive military weapons designed to enable a single shooter to destroy, from more than one mile away, material targets such as the refineries, chemical plants and railroad tank cars that dot the New Jersey landscape. In the hands of terrorists, such weapons could cause thousands of injuries and deaths. These sniper rifles should be banned, and Ceasefire NJ will soon see that they are.

That's telling it like it is.

BRYAN MILLER Executive Director Ceasefire NJ Trenton
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:33:01 PM EDT
[#1]
that is the biggest crock of SHIT I have ever read........

enough said there.............
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:35:27 PM EDT
[#2]

Yeah..  like NJ doesn't have bigger problems.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:46:11 PM EDT
[#3]
If an M82 can take out refineries and railroad cars, I don't see why the military needs all that expensive artillery and bombers.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:52:05 PM EDT
[#4]

Despite what the letter writer said, Ceasefire NJ does not seek to ban muzzle-loading .50 caliber hunting rifles. We have worked with hunters to ensure our proposed state ban on .50-caliber sniper rifles specifically exempts muzzle loaders.

WTF? Muzzle loaders are NOT firearms... Sound slike they are trying to ban .50cal rifles.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 2:37:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Since they're so interested in telling it like it is, I thought I'd edit it to say what they really mean:

Thursday, December 8, 2005

Re: "Tell it like it is" (letters, Nov. 28).

We at Ceasefire NJ are always grateful to letter writers who increase our visibility by citing us, no matter the content of what they write.

Let us, indeed, tell it like it is:

Yes, Ceasefire NJ is the Garden State's leading organization devoted to eliminating gun ownership and, yes, we have no interest in letting anyone discover our plan to eliminate the responsible use of legitimate hunting and sporting weapons.

Far from "doing nothing to prevent gun violence by criminals," Ceasefire NJ is working diligently to raise awareness about the flow of illegal handguns from Philadelphia to Camden caused by New Jersey's absurd and darconian gun laws. These laws have led to Camden's designation as the nation's "most dangerous city." Sorry if the letter writer missed the article about our rally in Camden's Fairview neighborhood ("Students attend Ceasefire event: Anti-freedom group holds press conference in Fairview," C-P, Nov. 17).

Despite what the letter writer said, Ceasefire NJ does not seek to ban muzzle-loading .50 caliber hunting rifles yet. Despite how much we hate them, We have worked with hunters to ensure our proposed state ban on .50-caliber sniper rifles specifically exempts muzzle loaders, so we can gain their trust, making it easier to screw them later.

But our neighbor's cat said that.50-caliber sniper rifles are massively destructive military weapons designed to enable a single shooter to destroy, from more than one mile away, material targets such as the refineries, chemical plants and railroad tank cars that dot the New Jersey landscape. In the hands of terrorists, such weapons could cause thousands of injuries and deaths. These sniper rifles should be banned, and Ceasefire NJ will soon see that they are. Of course, we have no idea why any terrorist would use these things, since a bomb is a tiny fraction of the size and cost, and can kill many more people. But slowing terrorists down isn't our goal, anyways - disarming you is.

That's telling it like it is.

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 2:38:52 PM EDT
[#6]
If I eventually get banned out of a job, can I sue the .gov for it?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 2:39:00 PM EDT
[#7]

But .50-caliber sniper rifles are massively destructive military weapons designed to enable a single shooter to destroy, from more than one mile away, material targets such as the refineries, chemical plants and railroad tank cars that dot the New Jersey landscape.

Damn!  If the .50 is that good why do we need tanks, artillary and airplanes?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 2:43:40 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Yeah..  like NJ doesn't have bigger problems.

Its not the size of the problem, but the ease at which it is dispatched that matters.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 3:47:40 PM EDT
[#9]
do these people REALLY think that a terrorist would go to a gunstore and pay multiple thousands of dollars for something they can bring into the country illegally for free?  dumbasses.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 3:57:45 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
do these people REALLY think that a terrorist would go to a gunstore and pay multiple thousands of dollars for something they can bring into the country illegally for free?  dumbasses.

Even if a terrorist did buy a .50 and blow up a refinery, is that a reasonable justification to ban .50's?  If a .50 can blow up a refinery, so can a .338 Lapua or .378 Weatherby.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:01:28 PM EDT
[#11]
All these fucking morons and their crusade against 50's has prompted me into action: I WILL buy one in 2006.  Period.  

Fucking retards have no idea how many new gun owners they create with idiocy like this.  Same reason I bought my first evil black rifle - right after the 1994 ban.

Morons.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:04:39 PM EDT
[#12]
I sometimes miss my birth place but when I read shit like this I am reminded of why I moved.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:07:37 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
If an M82 can take out refineries and railroad cars, I don't see why the military needs all that expensive artillery and bombers.

The M82 is nothing compared to the Glock 40mm revolver.

Ban them. It's for the children.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:17:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Has there EVER been a SINGLE documented case where a .50 caliber rifle was used in the manner these people describe?

Aside from on Robocop, that is.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:30:33 PM EDT
[#15]
One guy tried to kill his wife using, I believe, a Grizzly single shot. He shot out a few windows in the grocery store she was in. A construction worker snuck up behind him and conked him on the head with a concrete block.

Back in about '94, A few FBI agents came to Barrett and asked to see the bolt face impressions to a few fired rounds. They had 1 fired round from an armored car robbery in Atlanta where a .50 was used to disable the armored car and rob it. The impressions didn't match so they went on about their business. We never heard anything else about it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:41:34 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
All these fucking morons and their crusade against 50's has prompted me into action: I WILL buy one in 2006.  Period.  

I've got a bad feeling about this issue.
I think that .50's WILL be banned in the near future.
Just a gut feeling, and I hope I'm wrong.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:58:59 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Honestly.  And the thing is that we have to buy it now before there is a hint of a federal ban or the prices will skyrocket.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:02:16 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Has there EVER been a SINGLE documented case where a .50 caliber rifle was used in the manner these people describe?

Aside from on Robocop, that is.

That's irrelavent.  It doesn't matter if 100% of shootings involve .50BMG rifles, a right is a right.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:06:13 PM EDT
[#19]
What part of "shall not be infringed" don't they understand?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:07:11 AM EDT
[#20]
No 50 caliber rifles have ever been shot at refineries or power plants or whatever. At least not in the US.

The Congress in 1968 clearly defined the cutoff between an NFA caliber-over .5 and a non NFA caliber .5 or less with a narrow exemption for antiques and curios and certain shotguns.

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:54:26 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
No 50 caliber rifles have ever been shot at refineries or power plants or whatever. At least not in the US.

The Congress in 1968 clearly defined the cutoff between an NFA caliber-over .5 and a non NFA caliber .5 or less with a narrow exemption for antiques and curios and certain shotguns.

The .50BMG is nominally a .50, but is actually .511" (I think).
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:58:25 PM EDT
[#22]

Stupid people shouldn't breed.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:10:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Holy Hell! I sent the guy an emial and he responded!! I'll be damned.
Granted, he did call me a fanatic....
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:12:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Fools.

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:19:42 AM EDT
[#25]

....50-caliber sniper rifles are massively destructive military weapons designed to enable a single shooter to destroy, from more than one mile away..

I've got a McBro's .50, I can only WISH it was as easy to hit a target from a mile away as these fucking people say it is.  Sure would make Bear and Moose hunting easy up here in Alaska.
~Dg84
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:25:15 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Holy Hell! I sent the guy an emial and he responded!! I'll be damned.
Granted, he did call me a fanatic....

ROFLMAO!!!
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:36:14 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I've got a McBro's .50, I can only WISH it was as easy to hit a target from a mile away as these fucking people say it is.  Sure would make Bear and Moose hunting easy up here in Alaska.
~Dg84

A few people here feel that would be unethical.  

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:41:00 AM EDT
[#28]
PA to CeasefireNJ - Leave us out of this!  Philly isn't why there is an illegal flow of weapons in your state.  Your state's effed up gun laws helped enlarge an already existing black market on "illegal" guns.  

Once again, its stupid, stupid, stupid.

But .50-caliber sniper rifles gasoline tanker trucks are massively destructive military weapons designed to enable a single shooter driver to destroy, from more than one mile away, material targets such as the refineries, chemical plants and railroad tank cars that dot the New Jersey landscape. In the hands of terrorists, such weapons could cause thousands of injuries and deaths. These sniper rifles trucks should be banned, and Ceasefire NJ will soon see that they are.

When I worked in NJ at a semiconductor plant we had enough hydrogen, arsine, phosgene, phosphine, sulfates, and other fun stuff that in thoery a mistake or fire might have threatened or killed an entire town.  While these idiots make the .50 rifle out to be some magic gun capable of exploding half of New Jersey into the Atlantic Gasoline tanker trucks and cigarette lighters continue to be sold!  The insanity!
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:53:30 AM EDT
[#29]
For me that is not "unexpected," the anti-gun can't make much head at the national level so they are switching their attention to the state level focusing their attention on the states that are the most venerable.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top