Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/3/2006 8:27:20 PM EDT
I was reseting our crawfish traps today and I caught these little guys in the process. Being the inquisitive college student that I am I put them in a tank.

If I had actually absorded some of the information in my fish biology class I could probably indentify these little guys.

And yes I am really bored
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:30:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Cat and a bass?

Channel cat?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:32:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Sweet.  I always wanted gamefish in a house tank.  
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:37:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I had a Large Mouth Bass in a take at home for a while, simply a bad ass fish. Just wait until you get to feed him, they love goldfish
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:38:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Actually, I think the cat is a Yellow Bullhead: Ameiurus natalis

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:39:28 PM EDT
[#5]
thats a whole lot of pretty colors!

i got 500+ pounds of catfish in my pond in a few different breeds, and none of them have pretty colors.

a majority are channel catfish, and then some bullheads...

EDIT,

lol damn, question answered
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:41:46 PM EDT
[#6]
They will stink up a house tank pretty quickly.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:47:15 PM EDT
[#7]
You call that a catfish?

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:47:21 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
They will stink up a house tank pretty quickly.

I've got a filter running along with some water hyacinth in the tank to make it feel more like home.

I'll let'em go when they get bigger.

Still trying to figure out what the little guy is?

I'm leaning towards Warmouth Sunfish: Chaenobryttus gulosus

If anyone wants a crack at it, here is an LA fish list from my class a couple semesters ago Fish list
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:55:26 PM EDT
[#9]
The second one looks like it might be a crappie,

I used to have baby largemouth bass and bluegill in a tank, it was pretty cool.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:58:23 PM EDT
[#10]
it's really hard to tell with juvenlie fish.  they can totally change shape and colors between juvenile form and adult form.  you may have to wait till the little guy gets bigger to figure out what he is
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:59:53 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
You call that a catfish?

www.team-swap.com/Images/catfish.jpg

howd they get that one in?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:03:16 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
it's really hard to tell with juvenlie fish.  they can totally change shape and colors between juvenile form and adult form.  you may have to wait till the little guy gets bigger to figure out what he is

Yea, that pretty much what I was thinking. I was trying to be all smart and shit and identify him

Little guy is trying to find a hiding spot, they're having a dispute about who gets what part of the tank.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:03:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Thats pretty neat.  From what I have heard gamefish are really easy to maintain.  Lots easier than the fancy showtank kinds.  I have a 100 gallon tank and would love to throw a perch of something in it...but I dont want my oscars and 13 inch pleco to bite the dust..

-BJohnson
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:17:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Another NSUer,  1993 grad here.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:20:57 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Another NSUer,  1993 grad here.

Woot, I'm a lifer

Nah, this is my 4th year...I think. Should be done sooner or later.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:43:33 PM EDT
[#16]
NSU???

Non-Specific Urethritis?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:49:55 PM EDT
[#17]
I keep a large catfish and a bluegill in my garage, I caught them over a year ago while fishing and decided to keep them.  Orginally there were 5 bluegill (large ones), but they didn't do so well when I moved them into a smaller aquarium (from an 80 gallon to a 30), so there is now only one.  

I did an autopsy (for fun), but I know they died of starvation (they stopped eating for over 2 weeks).

My catfish is about twice as large as that, and is extremely fat.  It probably weighs a pound to a pound and a half.  I used to feed the fish live goldfish or various sizes, but now they eat turkey and beef.  

My bluegill is about as big as my hand (and I have big hands).  

I also had a largemouth bass for a while, but it suddenly died one morning, and it was perfectly healthy only a few hours before.  The last thing it ate was a crawfish.  

I'll get some pics tomorrow.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:50:01 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
NSU???

Non-Specific Urethritis?

Nicholls State University

Local college
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:53:59 PM EDT
[#19]
the game wardens will kick your door down
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:06:28 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
the game wardens will kick your door down

They kicked mine down, but I served them homemade potato salad.  

I then calmly explained that this was a pre-ban largemouth bass, and was not subject to the 13" overall length requirement.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:07:54 PM EDT
[#21]
I had a green sunfish as a pet once. Caught him at the lake and took him home in a small Gatorade bottle. He was a foot long and quite hefty before too long.

He died when we moved him from the indoor (winter) tank back into the pond. Temperature unexpectedly dropped below freezing when it was supposed to be warm and he died from shock. Kept him as a pet for years, and he was quite intelligent for a fish.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:08:07 PM EDT
[#22]
They have those large tanks at the BassPro shops with game fish.  Those tanks are huge.  But a lot of times the fish look a little beaten up.  
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:09:48 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
They have those large tanks at the BassPro shops with game fish.  Those tanks are huge.  But a lot of times the fish look a little beaten up.  

same as Cabelas.
The guy in the wetsuit was cleaning the tanks the other day.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:12:10 PM EDT
[#24]
In some states it's legal to keep gamefish, but the rules might be different if you are raising them to sell for meat, etc...  I imagine you would need some kind of permit so the .gov could make a buck off it.

I know with tropical fish the size of the tank can stunt their growth.  I wonder how it would affect a freshwater game fish???
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:14:27 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
In some states it's legal to keep gamefish, but the rules might be different if you are raising them to sell for meat, etc...  I imagine you would need some kind of permit so the .gov could make a buck off it.

I know with tropical fish the size of the tank can stunt their growth.  I wonder how it would affect a freshwater game fish???

same rules apply
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:17:08 PM EDT
[#26]
The top one looks a lot like a Rock Bass to me.  They have the same color patterns around here, usually they're a little bit darker though.  
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:17:18 PM EDT
[#27]
From experiments I have done, I have determined that the ideal water temperature is somewhere between 60 and 70 degrees.   If the temperature is too hot, the metabolism is faster and they eat a lot.  If the temperature is too low, they stop eating and die.  

Also, do not give medication meant for scaled fish to non-scaled fish such as catfish.  They will die a horrible death (their slime coat basically comes off).  Ask me how I know this
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:20:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Hard to tell without a side pic of the "bass looking" fish. I'm pretty sure it isn't a bass. Looks more like a sunfish of some sort. If it is a warmouth the eyes should be blood red. I'm leaning towards bluegill.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:23:20 PM EDT
[#29]
what about a perch?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:38:52 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
what about a perch?

That looks nothing like a perch.  I still say Rock Bass.

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 12:21:17 AM EDT
[#31]
I think it might be a rock bass, aka, a goggle eye perch. It's hard to tell from the picture, his skin pattern is definitely right. Does he have a very distinct bright red ring in his eyeball? If he has bright red eyes that's probably what you have.

They are fun to keep. I've had the rock bass, small mouths, and other various perch as well as Gar.

Gar and the rock bass were the coolest. Catfish will also consume like mad. I once saw two channel cats clear out 150 gold fish in about a second.

Got rid of all my wild fish after a few months each time as they were pretty much more expensive to feed than myself.

To the guy that wanted to put the perch with his oscars, it's probably fine. I've kept small mouth with Oscars and it works alright as long as the Oscar is bigger by a it. Perch aren't anywhere near as aggressive as bass. Should be fine, as long as the Oscar is bigger. Just make sure he's been "quarantined" long enough, you don't want your oscar getting unknown parasites off the perch.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top