Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/26/2005 7:50:36 PM EDT
So I am doing some hiring for IT security monitoring of IDS, firewall logs, etc.  Anyway, I get a resume from some guy who stated he was prior Army 92-97.  I glanced over it briefly and my admin scheduled an interview.

Interview time comes on my calendar and I walk over to meet this guy.  He is about 5' 8" and about 300lbs of ugly.  I start to interview the guy and its obvious he doesn't know jack and his skill set doesn't really fit the job.  He spends more time trying to float around questions of his experience than actually answering the questions.

I finally get to the military part and see he has the following written down:

13B/18B Ranger, Special Forces, Schofield HI.

I'm like WTF!?  Kinda went like this:

18B?  
Yes.  You know what that is?
Yes.  When was your Q course? (typical queston for SF guys.  I'm not SF but have known a few)
Uh....I wasn't SF.  I was a Ranger, Airborne, Air Assault.  I was on a sniper team and went to mogidishu.
You are a 13B cannon cocker yet you got reclassified, went to RIP, Ranger school, Sniper School, Airborne, Air Assault...and all in 5 years?
Yup
Will you submit a copy of your DD214 prior to hiring?
Gulp.  Yeah
I then ended the interview and told him not to call us, we will call him.

I told my boss, if you even consider  this POS I'll quit.  Lying shitbag.  Lucky I didn't jump across the table and choke his fat ass.  I did commo stuff 74F, 251W......nothing really high speed except maybe repelling school in Korea, Soldier of the Year stuff at Ft. Lewis, etc.  I have friends who taught Ranger school and were tabbed.  I was so pissed off I almost choked.  I ended up laughing later when I brought the resume to one of the other interviewers.  He pointed out the guy supposedly had been attending community college during all  of this high speed training.  When questioned about it the guy said the dates overlapped because "I was in the reserves at the time".
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:52:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Pathetic PoS.  Time to draft him and send him to the sandbox so he can come back with a chestful of medals (or chestful of metals).
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:53:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Someone's buuuuuullshit'in.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:54:08 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Pathetic PoS.  Time to draft him and send him to the sandbox so he can come back with a chestful of medals (or chestful of metals).

that's pretty witty
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:58:05 PM EDT
[#4]
You can't get much lower than being a fucking wanna-be poser in my book.  

To bad that you couldn't take him down to FT Lewis as part of the interview and drop him off at the Ranger Bat as a Poser.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:58:53 PM EDT
[#5]
LOL, I think I KNOW that guy. I think I work with him!  We have a 5'8" guy that's damn near 300lbs at my work who is always telling that same story.  He was always buggin' me to go shooting and I let him shoot my AK and he couldn't  work that thing at ALL.  

I'm thinkin' well, I never really believed him and I think a guy who was in combat in Somalia should be able to work an AK but maybe he never had a chance to touch one.

So I hand him the AR and he couldn't make heads 'nor tails of it.  

Long story short, I called him on it in front a  bunch of coworkers.  Words were said,  laughs were had and we don't speak so much anymore.

I know he's job shopping, I bet it's him.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:59:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Yup, my ex-gielfriends husband was a Navy SEAL at a reunion. I asked what class he was in, his reaction was incredible. Of course it was classified, all 320# cookie dough eating SEAL's were in the "classified training".
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:59:50 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

that's pretty witty

I dont get it
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:00:42 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
LOL, I think I KNOW that guy. I think I work with him!  We have a 5'8" guy that's damn near 300lbs at my work who is always telling that same story.  He was always buggin' me to go shooting and I let him shoot my AK and he couldn't  work that thing at ALL.  

I'm thinkin' well, I never really believed him and I think a guy who was in combat in Somalia should be able to work an AK but maybe he never had a chance to touch one.

Long story short, I called him on it in front a  bunch of coworkers.  Words were said,  laughs were had and we don't speak so much anymore.

Does he have any disctinct facial features?  This guy had one but I don't want to let the cat out of the bag.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:01:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Guys like him really take away from guys who actually WERE door gunners on the Space Shuttle.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:01:26 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

that's pretty witty

I dont get it

Substitute lead or steel for metals.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:02:19 PM EDT
[#11]
bullets ;)
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:08:02 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Let's start off the bastid with a big helpin' o' depleted uranium.....
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:56:45 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Does he have any disctinct facial features?  This guy had one but I don't want to let the cat out of the bag.

This guy has a Stalin mustach.  I have taken to calling him "comrade"  He's also got some gnarly looking teeth......
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:22:56 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This guy has a Stalin mustach.  I have taken to calling him "comrade"  He's also got some gnarly looking teeth......

Different guy.  Guess they are more common than I'd like to think.  I saw a website once of some guys who go out and hunt down fake seals and medal winners.  This guy had something wrong with his nose.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:30:23 PM EDT
[#15]
What a douche!

ETR: Newly non-existant link.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:32:39 PM EDT
[#16]
I was building a new department, and hiring folks.  I give preference to vets.  This fellow has on his resume that he was a marksman, rapelled out of helicopters, trained in hostage rescue, etc.  We got off of the subject of the job and started talking guns.  I invited him to go to the range with me, and he said "sure".  This fellow was very soft spoken, modest, about 5' 5", in good shape and all.  I decided to hire him, he sounded like he knew his stuff and gave me straightforward answers to my questions.  We went to the pistol range, I sent the target about 15 yards out, and I said "Shoot me a smiley face like that fellow did in Lethal Weapon".  Without saying a word, he took his Glock (a negative in my book, but that's beside the point) and shot about eight times in 30 seconds.  I pulled the target back in and there was a perfect "smiley face".  I told him to hang it up in his cubicle when we got back to the office Monday, and it stayed there about a year and a half.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:32:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Maybe thats why I've had some trouble getting a decent IT positon.  Its not that I dont have a degree, its that I dont lie on my resume
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:48:18 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
 We went to the pistol range, I sent the target about 15 yards out, and I said "Shoot me a smiley face like that fellow did in Lethal Weapon".  Without saying a word, he took his Glock (a negative in my book, but that's beside the point) and shot about eight times in 30 seconds.  I pulled the target back in and there was a perfect "smiley face".  

Good enough for me!
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 10:04:49 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I was building a new department, and hiring folks.  I give preference to vets.  This fellow has on his resume that he was a marksman, rapelled out of helicopters, trained in hostage rescue, etc.  We got off of the subject of the job and started talking guns.  I invited him to go to the range with me, and he said "sure".  This fellow was very soft spoken, modest, about 5' 5", in good shape and all.  I decided to hire him, he sounded like he knew his stuff and gave me straightforward answers to my questions.  We went to the pistol range, I sent the target about 15 yards out, and I said "Shoot me a smiley face like that fellow did in Lethal Weapon".  Without saying a word, he took his Glock (a negative in my book, but that's beside the point) and shot about eight times in 30 seconds.  I pulled the target back in and there was a perfect "smiley face".  I told him to hang it up in his cubicle when we got back to the office Monday, and it stayed there about a year and a half.

Now that's one heckuva fine way to conduct pre-employment screening.  When are you hiring?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 10:09:54 PM EDT
[#20]
We got purchased by a company out of Detroit, and they basically dismantled us.  This happenned about five years ago.  Not everyone who puts that sort of thing on their resume is bs'ing, but as the originator of this thread implied, it is sometimes easy to determine if someone is a poser.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 10:19:15 PM EDT
[#21]
I have yet to comprehend the psychology behind people who make such claims in order to somehow progress through society.

Defense mechanism?

Craving social acceptance?

Egotistical nature in search of a fool?

I know this type very well. Been there, busted him with the help of ARFCOM.

HS1
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 10:34:59 PM EDT
[#22]
I just don't understand these types of guys.  I'm more likely to tell you what's wrong with me before I show you what's right with me so we don't have unpleasant suprises later on in life.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 3:51:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Its so frackin' common its not funny.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:22:15 AM EDT
[#24]
did you ask him what color the boathouse is at Hereford?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:29:14 AM EDT
[#25]
that should be some sort of federal felony, where the punishment is that he has to be the dummy that recruits get to bayonet in basic.  What a duchebag.  I can't even imagine the anger of an actual veteran towards him.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:30:31 AM EDT
[#26]
I finally quit giving a shit about it.  I have a local guy who claims SF, and used it to bullshit his way into a job...and my trying to out him brought more heat on ME than on him from the SF guys I contacted with it.  Fuck it.  You were a door gunner on the Space Shuttle, and were awarded the Medal of Honor for actions on the obj in Outer Mongolia in 2001?  Good on you, pal.  Doesn't mean I'll hire you, but I'll be damned if I try to 'help' again.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:31:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Aren't we all members of the 259nd Chairborne Ranger Battalion (Mech)?

Maybe that's what he meant to put on his resume and it just came out wrong...
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:38:34 AM EDT
[#28]
If someone is going to lie, why not just lie about a degree?  Easier to bullshit about, less likely to get caught.  

I can't even fathom the mentality of these morons who think they will never run into someone who can call them on their BS.  I just don't understand it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:42:20 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted: You were a door gunner on the Space Shuttle,

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:50:58 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I have yet to comprehend the psychology behind people who make such claims in order to somehow progress through society.

Defense mechanism?

Craving social acceptance?

Egotistical nature in search of a fool?

I know this type very well. Been there, busted him with the help of ARFCOM.

HS1

I 've wondered too.

I've worked with a guy who was 101st in VN then 82nd afterwards. A proud retiree of the 173rd. But he tells so many stories it just sends up flags. Like 5 Purple Hearts while in VN. Two tours, or was it three?

But I've also caught him in so many little "white" lies I now no longer trust anything he says and have serious doubts about his service record.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:55:51 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:06:56 AM EDT
[#32]
So Simple Pal, Buddy ol mine.  Your company has an IT opening and you forget your ol tent shaking pal Gibby?

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:11:21 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Maybe thats why I've had some trouble getting a decent IT positon.  Its not that I dont have a degree, its that I dont lie on my resume hr

Now that's what I'm talkin about.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:12:30 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:17:58 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:26:26 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I finally quit giving a shit about it.  I have a local guy who claims SF, and used it to bullshit his way into a job...and my trying to out him brought more heat on ME than on him from the SF guys I contacted with it.  Fuck it.  You were a door gunner on the Space Shuttle, and were awarded the Medal of Honor for actions on the obj in Outer Mongolia in 2001?  Good on you, pal.  Doesn't mean I'll hire you, but I'll be damned if I try to 'help' again.

I agree with this.  I worked with one guy that was constantly shooting off his mouth about being in the 101st or 82nd--I can't remember which now--and also being a part of the action in Mogidishu.  My attitude?  Thanks for your service, but this has nothing to do with your current job.  I don't believe for a second to this day he did anything more than clean the latrine out if he was in the Army at all.

Contrast that with another guy I worked with at a different job...really cool guy we were buds on the job...and I didn't even know he had been in the Army after months of working with him.  He told me he was a vet of Desert Storm eventually.  He never spoke alot about it, but he did tell me he liked watching war movies even tho they made his hands shake still.

Who would you believe?
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:10:50 AM EDT
[#37]
I only mention my experience as a Space Shuttle Door Gunner during interviews, but I make sure to tell the HR folks to keep it on the "down low".
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:18:37 AM EDT
[#38]
"I trained Carlos Hathcock as a sniper.  Taught him everything.
...yeah, I was born in 1968...what about it?"
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:25:20 AM EDT
[#39]
It's really sad that a person's sense of worth can be so lacking as to force him to make up fictitious military service to self validate.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:28:12 AM EDT
[#40]
speaking of resumes and job interviews, if your given a section 8 are you better off saying you never served, or having your future employer research your history?
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:34:56 AM EDT
[#41]
you can go to airborne, air assault and ranger school all in 5 years. I had the option to go airborne right out of OSUT and then I took air assault about 2 years later as a 2 week 'vacation' from my normal duties.  I had alot of people I know went to ranger school, but that does not mean they were in a ranger battalion. I sure hope you are prior service to be able to shit all over this guys record for what you think you know. I hope for your sake you were right. Cheers.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:39:40 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
It's really sad that a person's sense of worth can be so lacking as to force him to make up fictitious military service to self validate.

This is very true and very sad, but there are many pathetic folks out there that do this all of the time.  Just read "Stolen Valor" for some examples

I remember a news story after Gulf War I regarding a MOH winner in Houston.  I recalled thinking that the story was BS and sure enough it was some poser who claimed to have been a medic, saved a bunch of guys, etc.  Now, my life is pretty dull but damn, I havn't stooped that low (yet).
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 2:53:06 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
did you ask him what color the boathouse is at Hereford?

HaHaHa!  Good one!

Merlin
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 3:16:25 PM EDT
[#44]
My parents used to have a neighbor that told so much BS about his time in the military, I did not believe a word he said about anything. One time I was in his home and he was showing me some Army awards, if you looked close you could see where he had used white-out over someones elses name and typed his name in.
This guy claimed to be Special Forces when he was in Vietnam, always trying to impress me with this BS. This guy was such a joke, when I saw him I would go in the other direction. I am a veteran of the US Army and it made me sick to hear all that crap.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 3:19:46 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 3:20:31 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:
 We went to the pistol range, I sent the target about 15 yards out, and I said "Shoot me a smiley face like that fellow did in Lethal Weapon".  Without saying a word, he took his Glock (a negative in my book, but that's beside the point) and shot about eight times in 30 seconds.  I pulled the target back in and there was a perfect "smiley face".  

Good enough for me!

Did he hum "Fine and Dandy" while he on the range?
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 3:39:17 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
you can go to airborne, air assault and ranger school all in 5 years. I had the option to go airborne right out of OSUT and then I took air assault about 2 years later as a 2 week 'vacation' from my normal duties.  I had alot of people I know went to ranger school, but that does not mean they were in a ranger battalion. I sure hope you are prior service to be able to shit all over this guys record for what you think you know. I hope for your sake you were right. Cheers.

The guy put 18B and said he was NEver SF

That right there means BS. A cub scout can figure that out.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 3:54:56 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Or the guy in the wheelchair at my local range.  He could barely stand to put his target up.  My GF helped him out.  He thanked her put the target at 20 yards and proceeded to unload about 5 mags of .45 as fast as the gun would cycle.  All into 2 1" groups.  Right over the heart and right between the eyes.  My girl friend asked him were he learned to shoot like that.  He replied "In the Army.  I was wounded in Somolia."

You know the real ones.  They don't try to make a big deal out of it.  They don't brag.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 3:58:26 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or the guy in the wheelchair at my local range.  He could barely stand to put his target up.  My GF helped him out.  He thanked her put the target at 20 yards and proceeded to unload about 5 mags of .45 as fast as the gun would cycle.  All into 2 1" groups.  Right over the heart and right between the eyes.  My girl friend asked him were he learned to shoot like that.  He replied "In the Army.  I was wounded in Somolia."

You know the real ones.  They don't try to make a big deal out of it.  They don't brag.  

I have a buddy that was national guard Special Forces, nothing active and we hear about it every time something as simple as sizing a backpack comes up.

Another buddy is retired Marine Corps, and was active duty with trigger time in Central America.  We have talked about it very minimally twice maybe.  He just doesn't bring it up.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:35:25 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

YES!!
You can also be stationed at RGR BT without being Tabed
FYI
Infantry school to Airborne to Rip
I was at 3rd / broke my self hAll under 6 years

I aslo get an occassional "sure you were at a Bat"

-----Ranger Creed----- is a good Test of false claims
There is no reason for someone who claims to be assossiated with the
Rangers not to KNOW the Ranger Creed

but i also do have photos (back in the day of the black RGR beret)
And DD214hough
edit for (sp)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top