probably a dupe, but I'm too lazy to check

http://www.local10.com/news/3659012/detail.html

Taser Gun On Man Trying To Get Home

POSTED: 7:42 am EDT August 17, 2004
UPDATED: 11:22 am EDT August 17, 2004

FORT MYERS, Fla. --
Video

Police Use Taser On Man Accused Of Trying To Pass Barrier

Officers in hurricane-ravaged Fort Myers used a Taser gun on a man allegedly trying to get by a police barrier to get home, and it was all caught on tape.

A crowd formed around the scene and voices can be heard yelling, "Leave him alone," "That is so wrong," and "Come on man, he's frustrated."

The man had three children in the car with him. Many in the crowd felt for the man who hasn't seen his home in days.

Many of the police officers are in the same situation.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 6:56:01 AM EST
People posting all of these taser threads don't seem to get that a taser deployment is rated at just above a verbal command, and either at or below the level assigned to OC. There is a very low risk to all parties by using a taser, and certainly better for everyone than having to wrestle , and running the risk of serious injuries that that entails.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 7:02:05 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 7:02:10 AM EST
At least the mans dog went home safely.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 7:02:13 AM EST

Originally Posted By tcsd1236:
People posting all of these taser threads don't seem to get that a taser deployment is rated at just above a verbal command.

I've read that before, so yeah, I get that it's "rated" there.

I just posted it because there is video at the link that was amusing.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 7:03:36 AM EST

People posting all of these taser threads don't seem to get that a taser deployment is rated at just above a verbal command, and either at or below the level assigned to OC. There is a very low risk to all parties by using a taser, and certainly better for everyone than having to wrestle , and running the risk of serious injuries that that entails.

I like that.

Me: Hey kiddo...its time to clean up your bedroom.
Kiddo: Ohh...do I...
Me: <deploys tazer>
Kiddo: <falls to floor>
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 7:04:39 AM EST

Good to know the next time I feel the need to tazar a cop............. thanks, now I know felony charges will not be pressed on me for doing it, I mean it is almost like a verbal slap right -- you nut.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 7:11:55 AM EST
Personally I don't think cops need tazers, are they going to give cops weapons for every situation now.

Verbal abuse = mace
Saying I wanna go home = tazer
speeding = nearly clubbed to death
pulling out a wallet to show him your ID = shot to death.

So whats next, molitav cocktails
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 7:15:36 AM EST

A person can suffer a fatal injury by falling to the ground.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 7:16:52 AM EST
It starts to get good on page 3, but I don't think it has a video link (link won't work for me).

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=265222&page=1
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 7:18:53 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/17/2004 7:24:43 AM EST by Johninaustin]

Originally Posted By RELOADER-BOB:

A person can suffer a fatal injury fighting with a cop too. Not to mention the fatal injuries that come from getting shot with a REAL gun. There are five people walking around my jurisdiction today that are alive simply because Tazer was a force option. (Not that their being alive is a good thing really)
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 7:18:56 AM EST

Originally Posted By cyanide:

Good to know the next time I feel the need to tazar a cop............. thanks, now I know felony charges will not be pressed on me for doing it, I mean it is almost like a verbal slap right -- you nut.

Do you not remember the use of force continuim? Did you actually retire or did you miss all the legal use of force classes.

Some of the things you advocate are purely idiotic.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 7:20:29 AM EST
I have never tazed a hurricane victim, but when you taze a cat you get a pleasant "bacon" smell and rewarding yelp.

Link Posted: 8/17/2004 7:20:40 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/17/2004 7:21:11 AM EST by LE6920]

Originally Posted By tactmaster:
Personally I don't think cops need tazers, are they going to give cops weapons for every situation now.

Verbal abuse = mace

There is a time and place to deploy less than lethal devices.

Clearly you don't have a grasp of reality
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 7:22:29 AM EST

Since you are not a police/corrections officer (Thank God) in an official capacity, your use of a Tazer could be responded to with deadly force by ANYONE.

I'd pay good money to see the look on your face in that instance.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 7:25:09 AM EST
Deadly force and one step up from verbal commands is quite the jump.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 7:25:27 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 7:26:28 AM EST

Originally Posted By Johninaustin:

Since you are not a police/corrections officer (Thank God) in an official capacity, your use of a Tazer could be responded to with deadly force by ANYONE.

You prove my intended point

cops throughout the land are tazing people cause it is easier than working it out with them ......... this country is fucked and will stay that way till some of the enforcers of the law are placed in jail for some of the bullshit they pull on people.

I would pay to see the look on your face when and if it ever happens to you....
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 7:30:55 AM EST

C'mon guy. You are not that dense. You are a retired LEO and fail to grasp basic force options?

The reason the tazer was even developed was to reduce injuries in application of force scenarios between parties of differing abilites,skills, and physical limits. Do your homework.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 7:31:23 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/17/2004 7:34:12 AM EST by Johninaustin]
dupe
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 7:32:11 AM EST

cops throughout the land are tazing people cause it is easier than working it out with them ......... this country is fucked and will stay that way till some of the enforcers of the law are placed in jail for some of the bullshit they pull on people.

Dude, in all the years I've been here, I have yet to see you have a "point"

"Working it out" would be what exactly? Don't you think the officer tried to talk to him first?
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 7:32:22 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/17/2004 7:40:00 AM EST by shotar]
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 7:32:24 AM EST

Originally Posted By NorCal_LEO:
I have never tazed a hurricane victim, but when you taze a cat you get a pleasant "bacon" smell and rewarding yelp.

Got eggs?

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 7:38:49 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 7:39:59 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/17/2004 7:42:34 AM EST by cyanide]

Originally Posted By shotar:
Cyanide my Old Gaurd Friend, Welcome to the new breed. These kids are different and were brought up far differently than we. I stick around as a reserve only because I really do know more than they do and somewhere after about 1995, people skills stopped being a requirement for making it through probation in alot of places.

you get it

It is sad -- that more don't .

You can tell class- some (you) have it --- some don't.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 7:43:57 AM EST

hmmmm. I'm thinkin' this has new sigline potential. With proper credit given, of course.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 7:48:20 AM EST

A person can suffer a fatal injury fighting with a cop too. Not to mention the fatal injuries that come from getting shot with a REAL gun. There are five people walking around my jurisdiction today that are alive simply because Tazer was a force option. (Not that their being alive is a good thing really)

Step back a minute and take another look at what you have written.

You are a sworn officer of the law, am I correct?

You go about your daily work armed with the tools of your trade; to protect and SERVE. The firearms you carry have the ability to end a life when employed as designed. YOU have the ability to take another's life if you so desire...for whatever reason.

That is a damn scary statement. From us, the un-uniformed rabble, not a scary statement...from YOU, frightening to say the least. All life, even that of the low-life scum of the earth is precious.

Pretty flippant statement from one advocating the use of a Taser. I'm glad that your department of public safety has issued them to you.

Scary...

Stay safe and keep putting the bad guys away...I think you are way wrong...but I respect you and your job anyway. <<shaking head...>>
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 7:50:46 AM EST
There are times when one must use force. That is unquestionable.

What is questionable is that more and more some police officers are becoming more and more likely to use force for less and less justifiable reasons. If a person physically assaults an officer or attempts to, then tasers are justified.

If a person is just routine non-cooperative....Well that is a case by case basis.

I do know the police are trying to keep order in the midst of chaos down there, and that looters are already on the prowl. There are also times when it is not safe to go back to a house or building because of electrical/gas/structural concerns.

The video does not provide enough information to make a judgement on whether or not this tasing was justified. The small grainy footage isn't detailed enough for me to see too much.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 7:50:55 AM EST
Being a former LEO and defensive tactics instructor I am all for less than lethal force options. However, having said that, the indesciminate use of these tools is what concerns me. I am all for officer safety but I am also very much an advocate of an individuals rights.

I believe if the vast majority of LEO's, past and present, were honest with themselves, and the rest of us, they would have to admit either being involved in or at least witnessing a case of excessive force at some level. Then justifying it in their minds as the end justfied the means.

Tasers are relatively new as a widespread defensive tool. Therefore, it is receiving a lot of attention. Just as the "Billy club", side handle baton, ASP and OC did when they first hit the scene.

In my humble opinion, I believe we may have too many tools and options out there that can be employed way too quickly.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 7:50:59 AM EST

Originally Posted By BayEagle:

hmmmm. I'm thinkin' this has new sigline potential. With proper credit given, of course.

she's all yours...
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 7:54:11 AM EST

Originally Posted By LWilde:

You go about your daily work armed with the tools of your trade; to protect and SERVE. The firearms you carry have the ability to end a life when employed as designed. YOU have the ability to take another's life if you so desire...for whatever reason.

That is a damn scary statement. From us, the un-uniformed rabble, not a scary statement...from YOU, frightening to say the least. All life, even that of the low-life scum of the earth is precious.

Pretty flippant statement from one advocating the use of a Taser. I'm glad that your department of public safety has issued them to you.

Scary...

Stay safe and keep putting the bad guys away...I think you are way wrong...but I respect you and your job anyway. <<shaking head...>>

Not speaking for him, but it would seem that he was trying to say that having alternate force options available had a different outcome on those situations, where deadly force could have been used.

(quite the run on sentence)

Link Posted: 8/17/2004 7:54:21 AM EST

Originally Posted By tactmaster:

Verbal abuse = mace

They already did that, it was called Waco...

Link Posted: 8/17/2004 7:54:27 AM EST
I think we have a volunteer to be a tazer guinea pig since its only a step above verbal abuse.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 7:54:49 AM EST

Scary...

I have read his and many others that were similar in content ---
all have one thing in common --
they want to impart some justice - right there, right now, and by them -- not the Judge.
as if tazing an asshole doesn't give a person satisfaction. Problem is after a period of time - people seem to dish it out in larger more bigger proportions , soon your into beatings, killings " that just make the grade, when you know a person could have done different. It just is a scary world anymore and getting worse.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 7:55:25 AM EST

Originally Posted By Aimless:

Do you think they would work on raccoons?

Nevermind, illegal in NY (along with sword canes, nunchucks, throwing stars etc) guess I'll just have to get by with my NY legal halberd.

Hmm, in many ways NY sounds like the UK...

Did you get the Halberd cos it was the last thing left that hadn't been banned or is there some sort of SCA/steel-weapon re-enactment thing going on here?

Cheers
/PHil
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 7:57:32 AM EST

Cyanide my Old Gaurd Friend, Welcome to the new breed. These kids are different and were brought up far differently than we. I stick around as a reserve only because I really do know more than they do and somewhere after about 1995, people skills stopped being a requirement for making it through probation in alot of places.

In the old days cops respected the citizens and received that respect from most in return. We also respected each other and our families. You didn't write a cop, cops wife, cops kid for minor infractions you took them home or let them go with a buz in the related cops ear at an appropriate moment. You did likewise often enough with local residents or someone down on their luck. You resolved conflicts using arrest as an absolute last resort and violence only where it was needed. You were a professional who could in a moments notice switch from peacekeeper to full blown war mode and back again as needed. You never kicked someone's ass and took them to jail. One or the other, but never both. People in the community knew who you were. Criminals feared you, honest people trusted you, not the other way around. Taking someone's kids and calling childrens services was a last resort and we didn't arrest people for having arguments with their spouse. Then again, back in the day, politicians allowed cops to excersize common sense and discretion, and most of us had never been sued into poverty. Again, thank the liberals and sue em all trial lawyers. The American people got exactly what they asked for in this new breed of young cops.

Very well said. Now, how does the public deal with this "new breed"?
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 7:57:56 AM EST

Originally Posted By TeuffelHunden1775:

In my humble opinion, I believe we may have too many tools and options out there that can be employed way too quickly.

No, they can be deployed at the proper time for the proper reasons and have a better outcome for everyone.

Link Posted: 8/17/2004 7:58:49 AM EST

Originally Posted By Red_Beard:
probably a dupe, but I'm too lazy to check

http://www.local10.com/news/3659012/detail.html

Taser Gun On Man Trying To Get Home

POSTED: 7:42 am EDT August 17, 2004
UPDATED: 11:22 am EDT August 17, 2004

FORT MYERS, Fla. --
Video

Police Use Taser On Man Accused Of Trying To Pass Barrier

Officers in hurricane-ravaged Fort Myers used a Taser gun on a man allegedly trying to get by a police barrier to get home, and it was all caught on tape.

A crowd formed around the scene and voices can be heard yelling, "Leave him alone," "That is so wrong," and "Come on man, he's frustrated."

The man had three children in the car with him. Many in the crowd felt for the man who hasn't seen his home in days.

Many of the police officers are in the same situation.

This cop actually sounds like the Sheriff in the movie "Rambo". Nazi, why couldn't they have just walked him to his house?

They were probably all hot, sweaty, hungry and not thinking. It happens when people are stressed or in a stressful situtation. The crowd didn't do anything to stop it? Baaaaaah!
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 8:00:56 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/17/2004 8:02:04 AM EST by TeuffelHunden1775]

Originally Posted By LE6920:

Originally Posted By TeuffelHunden1775:

No, they can be deployed at the proper time for the proper reasons and have a better outcome for everyone.

In a perfect world, with the perfect people, with the proper training, understanding and education, yes. You, and I, both know that is not is the case in most scenarios.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 8:02:24 AM EST
from what I've read tazers can fuck you up if you have a pacemaker or other heart issues
plus the real point is that the guy was trying to get home to see what damage there was to his house and salvage what he can before looters get there
glad to see that the gov't can just tell you tought luck, and even more glad that people here who supposedly love freedom and private property rights are defending the gov't
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 8:03:13 AM EST

Scary...

I have read his and many others that were similar in content ---
all have one thing in common --
they want to impart some justice - right there, right now, and by them -- not the Judge.
as if tazing an asshole doesn't give a person satisfaction. Problem is after a period of time - people seem to dish it out in larger more bigger proportions , soon your into beatings, killings " that just make the grade, when you know a person could have done different. It just is a scary world anymore and getting worse.

It has nothing to do with imparting justice. That is what the courtroom is for.

I think the self admitted "old breed" beatings criminals got were imparted justice. Try that nowadays and see what happens. Geez, re-read your post, how many criminals did you beat into submission, how many did you kill that just "made the grade". THAT is scary.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 8:14:08 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 8:17:06 AM EST

Do you not remember the use of force continuim? Did you actually retire or did you miss all the legal use of force classes.

Was Cyanide an officer at one point? Guess I missed that piece of info.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 8:20:55 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 8:22:34 AM EST

Was Cyanide an officer at one point? Guess I missed that piece of info.

He was once one of the baddest of the bad and did the most dangerous end of the business. He has well earned the right to bitch, moan and cry foul where he sees it.

Was that sarcasm or seriousness?
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 8:25:53 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 8:33:03 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 8:33:37 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 8:34:49 AM EST

It would never happen my friend, you would never be able to see the look on their faces 'cause it would be buried in Tyrone's lap.

But you might be able to hear the gurgling sound he makes when Tyrone busts a nut, or the audible 'POP'sound when Jammal pulls out of his ass!!! (JBTs don't fair well behind bars)..
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 8:36:55 AM EST

Originally Posted By CAMPYBOB:
seriousness.

That's good to know. I, too, would like to know what happened to the use of force contium. When I taught it, you didn't pepper a guy or strike him with a side handle baton due to verbal uncompliance.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 8:41:38 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/17/2004 8:44:00 AM EST by magnum_99]
Seems to me the issue many are having with the "taserings" is the eagerness of the police to use it in situations that used to demand rational thinking and persuasion skills.

Truly seems that the taser, since it is 'just above the force level of a verbal command' might replace good old policing skills in the name of instant compliance.

I mean, HOW DARE regular citizens question the POlice or their authority.

THAT is the issue.

There is a dangerous trend in this country of nearly ANY government official acting like they are the sole authority. You see it with police, but also with lowly BUILDING inspectors, and other sundry city and county officials who have forgetten that they work for the public.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Top Top