Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/12/2006 7:52:52 PM EDT
If you pass by a dog and say "here, doggie", you will get reactions ranging from teeth-baring rage to heads tilted sideways in puzzlement. In any event, once you get their attention, they usually stare at you till you are out of their zone. They acknowledge you as an individual.

Cats, however, react completely differently. Pass by one and say "here kitty kitty" and they throw a sharp glance in your direction (if they don't bolt away in mortal fear), then continue staring at the place you were at with a glassy unfocused gaze. They don't seem to care about you. What's up with that?
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 7:56:41 PM EDT
[#1]
They're the women of the animal kingdom.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 7:57:58 PM EDT
[#2]
<-------my cat comes running when ever i call her.  she is very dog-like.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 7:59:05 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
<-------my cat comes running when ever i call her.  she is very dog-like.

My cats will fetch, bring back and drop small toys like a Lab does.

Wouldn't trade them for the world.

HH
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:00:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Dogs are the sheeple of the domestic animal world.  Cats are free-thinkers like us!
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:02:02 PM EDT
[#5]
In another thread I wrote how dogs have been at our sides since we lived in caves..  We are inextricably tied.  We domesticated the wolf very early in our modern history.  There's thought that we, as well as dogs, are hard wired to generally attract each other on some level.

And I also saw on the Discovery Channel that dogs and wolves are one in the same as two seperate species would not be able to produce a fertile offspring which a dog/wolf cross is capable.  So they did the DNA analysis and found that a Lab is a wolf that has certain traits bread into dominance or ressivness..  Or something like that..  But they are no longer considered a seperate species, rather a different "race" of the species..
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:02:47 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
My cats will fetch, bring back and drop small toys like a Lab does.

Wouldn't trade them for the world.

HH

I used to have a cat that did that, too!  Must be more common than I thought.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:02:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Dogs think we're their masters. Cats vary between thinking we're their gods or they're ours.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:07:08 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

My neighbor's cat...it'll come running when it sees me outside, and rub against my leg all friendly as hell. It'll let me pet it one single time; on the second stroke, it goes berserk and tries to bite the shit out of me.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:08:00 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My neighbor's cat...it'll come running when it sees me outside, and rub against my leg all friendly as hell. It'll let me pet it one single time; on the second stroke, it goes berserk and tries to bite the shit out of me.

Just like a woman...no?

Once it gets what it wants it turns on you!
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:08:06 PM EDT
[#10]
A dog thinks: Hey, these people I live with feed me, love me,

provide me with a nice warm, dry house, pet me, and take good

care of me . . . they must be Gods!

A cat thinks: Hey, these people I live with feed me, love me,

care of me . . . I must be a God!

Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:09:46 PM EDT
[#11]
I once looked up and saw my cat on the roof gazing down at me. I just wondered what he would do if he were lion-size.

Devour me? Still be my friend? It was hard to tell; I bet it could go either way.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:10:42 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Sums it up pretty well.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:11:51 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:13:01 PM EDT
[#14]
I happen to be a cat person BTW.  Cats just like me.  Maybe they sence I'm a superior god

This site has some funny quotes about cats and dogs
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:18:38 PM EDT
[#15]
A newly discovered chapter in the Book of Gensis has provided
the answer to "Where do pets come from?"

Adam said, "Lord, when I was in the garden, you walked with
me every day. Now I do not see you anymore. I am lonesome
here and it is difficult for me to remember how much you love me."

And God said, "No problem! I will create a companion for you
that will be with you forever and who will be a reflection of my
love for you, so that you will love me even when you cannot see
me. Regardless of how selfish or childish or unlovable you may
be, this new companion will accept you as
you are and will love you as I do, in spite of yourself"

And God created a new animal to be a companion for Adam.
it was a good animal. And God was pleased. And the new
animal was pleased to be with Adam and he wagged his tail.
And Adam said, "Lord, I have already named all the animals
in the Kingdom and I cannot think of a name for this new
animal."

And God said, "No problem! Because I have created this new
animal to be a reflection of my love for you, his name will be a
reflection of my own name and you will call him DOG.

And Dog lived with Adam and was a companion to him and ]
loved him. And Adam was comforted. And God was pleased.
And Dog was content and wagged his tail.

After a while, it came to pass that Adam's guardian angel
came to the Lord and said, "Lord, Adam has become filled with
pride. He struts and preens like a peacock and he believes he
is worthy of adoration. Dog has indeed
taught him that he is loved, but perhaps too well."

And the Lord said, "No problem! I will create for him a
companion who will be with him forever and who will see him as
he is. The companion will remind him of his limitations, so he will
know that he is not always worthy of adoration."

And God created CAT to be a companion to Adam. And Cat
would not obey Adam. And when Adam gazed into Cat's eyes,
he was reminded that he was not the supreme being. And Adam
learned humility. And God was pleased. And Adam was greatly
improved. And Dog was happy. And Cat didn't give a shit
one way or the other.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 9:07:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 9:10:37 PM EDT
[#17]
my cat drinks out of the toilet, I'm working on training him to fetch, and he comes when I call him.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 9:13:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Have a little fun and read the Cat Who Walked by Himself by Kipling.

www.petrescue.com/library/cat-walked.htm
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 9:59:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Cats.  They're a bunch of pussies, that's what they are.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 10:06:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Dogs have masters, Cats have staff.......

Stinky just said MEooow to that...
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 10:13:24 PM EDT
[#21]
I taught my mom's cat how to fetch.  I guess it is common.  I used to throw a paper ball down the steps, and it would run down, grab it, and drop it at the top of the steps.  

All cats are different, so you might be encountering some that are a little shy while outside.  Most of the cats that I've had have been like that.  They'll shy away sometimes when outside, even from the owner.  It's like they're afraid of being picked up/trapped while in the great wild.  
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 10:24:32 PM EDT
[#22]
I don't mind cats at all.
But just remember, a cat would eat you if it had a chance.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 10:24:35 PM EDT
[#23]
My cat understands a great deal of english. He fetches, comes when he's called (usually), and if you're looking for something, ask him where it's at. If he knows, he'll go sit on it until you find where he is and look under his butt.

He also figured out how to operate the tv remote. He likes to flip through channels until he finds something interesting; usually a nature documentary or cartoon. At night, he'll turn the tv on and mute it so it takes us longer to wake up and shut it off again.

I swear, that cat is smarter than half the people on this forum. And a heck of a lot smarter than anyone on DU!
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 10:28:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Dogs are Jerry Lewis

Cats are Frank Sinatra.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 11:36:03 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

exactly. I ignored my cat for the most part when my roommates and I got her. I became the favorite. Sophie would groom me, and do the "milk tread" since I was more or less "Mom" to her.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 11:53:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 11:54:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 11:55:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Taste like Chicken
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 11:59:23 PM EDT
[#29]
My mother's cat goes nuts and bitches at the bird feeder all day.  It's her version of Gitmo
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 11:59:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Cats and Women

1) Cats do what they want.
2) They rarely listen to you.
3) They're totally unpredictable.
4) They whine when they are not happy.
5) When you want to play, they want to be alone.
6) When you want to be alone, they want to play.
7) They expect you to cater to their every whim.
8) They're moody.
9) They leave hair everywhere.
10) They drive you nuts and cost an arm and a leg.

Conclusion: They're tiny little women in cheap fur coats

Day 183rd of My Captivity:

My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects. They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while I am forced to eat dry cereal. The only thing that keeps me going is the hope of escape, and the mild satisfaction I get from ruining the occasional piece of furniture. Tomorrow I may eat another houseplant.

Today my attempt to kill my captors by weaving around their feet while they were walking almost succeeded; must try this at the top of the stairs. In an attempt to disgust and repulse these vile oppressors, I once again induced myself to vomit on their favorite chair, must try this on their bed. Decapitated a mouse and brought them the headless body, in an attempt to make them aware of what I am capable of, and to try to strike fear into their hearts. They only cooed and condescended about what a good little cat I was. Hmmm, not working according to plan.

There was some sort of gathering of their accomplices. I was placed in solitary confinement throughout the event. However, I could hear the noise and smell the food. More importantly, I overheard that my confinement was due to my power of "allergies." Must learn what this is and how to use it to my advantage.

I am convinced the other captives are flunkies and may be snitches. The dog is routinely released and seems more than happy to return. He is obviously a half-wit. The bird, on the other hand, has got to be an informant, and speaks with them regularly. I am certain he reports my every move. Due to his current placement in the metal room, his safety is assured. But I can wait; it is only a matter of time ......
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 12:05:44 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I don't mind cats at all.

I don't know about that.

Although ,I did have this cat years ago that tried to kill this terrier that found itself in our yard.
That was the last time the paper "boy" took his dog for a walk while collecting money.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 12:10:14 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
my cat drinks out of the toilet, I'm working on training him to fetch, and he comes when I call him.

My cat also fetches, and likes it. Wasn't something I taught him, just something he does. He'll only do it with one type of toy mouse though. He only likes that one kind. He'll drop it right back in your hand. He rarely drinks from the toilet anymore though. He likes running water so he'll pester the hell out of you to turn on a faucet and then eventually just do it himself. He hasn't figured out turning it back off yet. He has no problems getting wet, he crawls right down in the sink and gets SOAKED taking a drink.

He also has two litter boxes, one for peeing and the other for pooping. He won't cross contaminate.

All in all he's a real prick, but he has character and I like him.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 5:09:29 AM EDT
[#33]
Raised my cat from a kitten. He ran away from my ex and when I came back to Chicago to get my stuff I found him a couple blocks away living in some bushes.
He will not leave my side and is as loyal as any dog. Comes when I call and waits for me to return when I leave.  It freaks out my girlfriend to no end.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:26:23 AM EDT
[#34]
My three cats will come when I call as well.  They will all greet me at the door when I come home from work.  

Whenever I take a shower, as soon as the water turns off, there's either a scratching at the door, or a meow.  And I have to open the door to let two of them in.  

At night, I'm usually wedged into the bed.  A cat curled up against my chest, one wedged up against my back, and the third on a box at the foot of the bed.

I'm surrounded by pussy!
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:31:50 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Cats vary between thinking we're their gods or they're ours.

And in my experience this equation can be manipulated with the application of some bacon, pork, chicken, tuna, or steak.

I know my cat is not a muslim because when I give him some bacon he looks at me like I am the god of all cats and he adores me.  LOL
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:33:34 AM EDT
[#36]
I had a cat once that liked to come along when I took the dog for a walk, it would come when I called it and loved to be petted. I think it was confused and thought it was a dog.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:43:10 AM EDT
[#37]
free spirited.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:49:27 AM EDT
[#38]
One of my cats, if she gets to come in will immediately go to the dirty clothes hamper  and start draging my wifes dirty socks and "giving" them to us. We get lots of "prestents" in the morning from her missions.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 8:12:53 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I have always suspected this.

Quoted:
My cat understands a great deal of english. He fetches, comes when he's called (usually), and if you're looking for something, ask him where it's at. If he knows, he'll go sit on it until you find where he is and look under his butt.

He also figured out how to operate the tv remote. He likes to flip through channels until he finds something interesting; usually a nature documentary or cartoon. At night, he'll turn the tv on and mute it so it takes us longer to wake up and shut it off again.

I swear, that cat is smarter than half the people on this forum. And a heck of a lot smarter than anyone on DU!

In cats and dogs, as well as humans, I've noticed a wide range in intelligence. I could look at one of my cats and follow his thought processes. In some of my dogs I've seen a complete LACK of thought processes...
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 8:23:28 PM EDT
[#40]
img79.imageshack.us/img79/5453/image0139ti.jpg

Cats can be very helpful to handicapped people.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 8:24:49 PM EDT
[#41]
my cat will kick your ass.(that's a full size 8 3/8" barreled taurus raging bull next to him for size comparison)
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 8:29:57 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

+1

Women=cats

Men=dogs

explains everything.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 8:48:00 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
I had a cat once that liked to come along when I took the dog for a walk, it would come when I called it and loved to be petted. I think it was confused and thought it was a dog.

My last cat would do this also; I'd take the dog to the park for a walk, and keeping 20 feet behind and hiding at every opportunity would be the cat.

He also liked to walk through the house opening every door and cupbord with his paw. No one tought him that! He'd just open them up and take a look inside.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 9:04:42 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
my cat drinks out of the toilet

I thought mine was the only one that did that...........
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 9:33:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 9:42:31 PM EDT
[#46]
CATS
Kill it with Fire
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 9:52:22 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Women=cats

Men=dogs

explains everything.

So if Im a dog lover does that make me gay???  How about if all my dogs are bitches?  Either way I've never been a cat person.  Theyre kind of like my neice.  Cute and fun to play with but when Im done its nice that they dont come home with me.  
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 9:52:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Our cat follows me around.   She went on a hunger strike when I went away to visit my sick mother for four weeks.    

She 'talks', you can have a conversation with her,  in fact she 'argues' with you when she wants something.  

This cat is undoubtedly moslem because she commits various acts of terrorism...usually against the furniture.   Also, she holds a grudge and will get even with you if you anger her.   On the other hand she caught a flying terrorist, a mocking bird who mocked her.   She beheaded the bird and tore it's lungs out and then brought us the body.   (Good kitty!).   Another act of terrorism is to go to sleep on my lap when I am watching a TV show I really want to see.  It is just impossible to stay awake when she is sleeping on the big, giant lap.  

We have various back scratching rituals along with the neck massages, tummy rubs and all.  (I don't get massaged, only the cat.)

This cat demands I go to bed with my wife instead of staying up playing on the computer.  When the whole family is home she camps out in the hall so she can make sure we are all there and can't leave without her permission.   At time she demands I go take a nap with her.  

Good kitty all in all and if you don't agree she will puke on your stuff.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:41:55 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
my cat will kick your ass.(that's a full size 8 3/8" barreled taurus raging bull next to him for size comparison)
img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/deathray187/screwballRB.jpg

Sure, TRH...... it's there next to him "for size comparison".  

Why not just admit it.  It's actually your cat's piece.  He is one BMF.  

Hey, any of you guys ever listen to the Primus song, "Tommy the Cat"?  That dude was one BMF, too.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:52:02 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:
my cat drinks out of the toilet

I thought mine was the only one that did that...........

I mentioned it before on another cat thread here, and I'll mention it again.  Both our cat and our dog are "outside animals," but we have a sunroom (actually a back porch that was closed in) that was built by the previous owners to give them all-weather access to the laundry room.  When it is cold/wet/icy out, we will let the dog and the cat in overnight.

There is an extra (3rd) shitter in the laundry room.  We never use it.  Well, the last really cold spell we had, my wife let them in, and then the next day has the audacity to tell me that she thinks the cat shit in the sunroom, that it stinks, and that I should go clean it up before it makes her gag anymore.

So anyway, I'm out in the sunroom looking for the shit (I normally would have balked, but my wife was already washing dishes, so it was the least I could do).  I can't find it.  Then I notice it seems like the smell is coming from the laundry room.  I'm like "oh fuck no he didn't shit in there!"

I run in and can't find it.  Then I notice that the lid is up on the shitter.  Now, either my two year-old daughter did that, or the cat did!

Anyway, there's a bunch of cat shit in there!  He's been shitting on the shitter!  I know and have read online that you can train cats to do that fairly easily, but I've never heard of any teaching themselves...........
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top