Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/25/2004 7:24:58 PM EDT
Fucked up.

BRIELLE, New Jersey (AP) -- An 8-year-old girl who suffers from a digestive disorder and cannot eat wheat has had her first Holy Communion declared invalid because the wafer contained no wheat, violating Roman Catholic doctrine
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:27:36 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Fucked up.

BRIELLE, New Jersey (AP) -- An 8-year-old girl who suffers from a digestive disorder and cannot eat wheat has had her first Holy Communion declared invalid because the wafer contained no wheat, violating Roman Catholic doctrine

Actually, that's not true. All the rituals and communion in the world won't get you into Heaven.

(hey, I already had my flamesuit on from another thread...I figured 'why not?'.)
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:28:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Organized religion at its finest!  
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:29:22 PM EDT
[#3]
this could get interesting.......

But, Catholic or not, I thought that was pretty shitty of the church.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:30:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Catholicism=
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:31:43 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Catholicism=

+1
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:32:37 PM EDT
[#6]

Originally posted by arowneragain;
Actually, that's not true. All the rituals and communion in the world won't get you into Heaven.

+ 100
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:33:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Christ was against the Pharisses and their "Organized Religion" .
"Whitewashed Tombs " he called them.
Catholicism is  more in line  with Judaism.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:36:11 PM EDT
[#8]
I was raised Catholic and was an altar boy. No, not one of those altar boys.
My parish priest was a great guy. Father Steve McClellan.
I am no longer Catholic now, I gave it up many years ago.
This is fucked up and one of the reasons I left the church.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:41:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Well if you ever come to NY your welcome at my Church ,I think you'll like it.
And if you visit on the First Sunday of the Month you can stay for a luncheon.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:42:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:42:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Uh oh.

Paging Dr. Sgtar

- BUCC_Guy
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:44:49 PM EDT
[#12]
And in today's installment of "Ignorance on Parade," people condemn the Roman Church based on a knee-jerk response engendered by fundamental hostility, overlooking the fact that as a matter of long-settled doctrine, Communion received in either or both kinds (bread or wine) is complete and effective sacramentally and that

The diocese has told Haley's mother that the girl can receive a low-gluten wafer, or just drink wine at Communion. . . .
(from the article)

So you see, the Church said, as it has said for ages, that the bread used in Communion must be wheat bread, but has never said that bread must be consumed in order to participate in the Sacrament. The little girl's dipshit attention whore mother refused to allow her to take Communion using wine only, which would have been perfectly acceptable sacramentally, despite the fact that Catholics customarily take Communion in only one kind.

Nice bandwagon you picked there, guys!
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:45:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Maybe she'll realize how stupid religion is.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:46:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:52:19 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
And in today's installment of "Ignorance on Parade," people condemn the Roman Church based on a knee-jerk response engendered by fundamental hostility, overlooking the fact that as a matter of long-settled doctrine, Communion received in either or both kinds (bread or wine) is complete and effective sacramentally and that

The diocese has told Haley's mother that the girl can receive a low-gluten wafer, or just drink wine at Communion. . . .
(from the article)

So you see, the Church said, as it has said for ages, that the bread used in Communion must be wheat bread, but has never said that bread must be consumed in order to participate in the Sacrament. The little girl's dipshit attention whore mother refused to allow her to take Communion using wine only, which would have been perfectly acceptable sacramentally, despite the fact that Catholics customarily take Communion in only one kind.

Perhaps her mom didnt want her drinking wine?

Its still stupid. If the priest blessed a piece of paper she could eat that. Its a SYMBOL of Christ's flesh!
Its rediculous concrete rules that are laughable.
And frankly as a former catholic, I find canabalism distasteful.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:59:11 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

(from the article)

Breaking news!  Priest arrested for supplying alcohol to a minor!!!  

That's not true, Catholic drinking age is 7.    Freedom of religion and all that.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 8:02:56 PM EDT
[#17]
I am not condemning the Catholic church based on a knee jerk reaction to the news story referenced above.

I am simply agreeing with the opinion expressed that Catholic Communion does not give one a free pass when one stands at the Judgement Seat. While we are at it, Prayers for the dead and whatever other types of bribes one may be able to conjure up won't help, either.

Your name is either in the Book of Life at this moment, or it isn't.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 8:10:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Somebody needs to meet up with the "Catholicism wow" guys
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 8:11:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 8:16:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 8:26:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Faith > religion
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 8:27:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 8:27:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Reminds me of that South Park Episode, Do the Handicapped go to hell
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 8:28:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 8:30:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Science > Faith > Religion
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 8:32:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Peter Griffin:  Wow is that really the blood of Christ?
Priest: Yes
Peter: Man, that guy must have been wasted 24 hours a day, huh?
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 8:36:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Well ....  the Catholic priest is supposed to be able to turn that wheat wafer into the actual body of Christ.

So, if that is true ( it isn't ) then she would have no allergic reaction.

The Lord Jesus Christ is not a religion, and no religion is the Lord Jesus Christ.

Jesus said I AM THE WAY, the truth and the life.  No man cometh to the Father but by me.

Faith in religion and faith in the finished work of the Lord Jesus Christ are two entirely different matters, and they will matter for all eternity.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 8:37:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 11:09:59 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Science > Faith > Religion

Please tell me why gravity exists?  You can't.  Physicist can't.  They can describe its effects but they don't know what causes it.  So they assume a lot because....they have faith?

Science is getting very close to understanding why gravity exists.

science.howstuffworks.com/question232.htm
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top