Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/6/2001 11:19:42 AM EDT
Well, I know you guys must have been missing my witty repartee for the past three days, and I apologize for depriving you of that, but things have not been rosy here in Jarhead computer land.

My hard drive went completely TU the other day. Desktop Services took a look at it and apparently I lost the index at the "front" of the hard drive that explains what files all those zeros and ones belong to. Without that, nothing makes any sense. So I've lost all the good pictures, documents, emails, programs, etc that I've accumulated over the past couple of years. Dang.

I'm starting from scratch again.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 11:23:14 AM EDT
[#1]
hehee... you probably lost the File Allocation Table, or your boot sector.  Not fun.  Hope everything is running fine now!
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 11:31:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
hehee... you probably lost the File Allocation Table!
View Quote

That's it, the FAT table is what the computer guru called it.

F&%*ing hosed, is what I call it.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 12:01:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Work it out once in a while and there won't be a FAT problem.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 12:06:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, well, me too. Been out for a week, tho

Massive corruption on my hard drive, cost $275 to bring it back, and now my PC won't recognize it as a slave drive to my new one(not "ATAPI compliant", according to the BIOS). Oh, yeah, and my power supply on that computer just died a few minutes later too.

Juggernaut
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 12:23:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I had a Catastrophic hard-drive crash too...
when my hard drive flew out of my 6th floor office window.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 12:31:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Jarhead -

Do what I do.

Make complete handwritten backups of all your important documents that can be re-typed into a new computer in case your hard drive crashes.

[BD]

Link Posted: 12/6/2001 12:58:03 PM EDT
[#7]
That sucks.Might consider doing what I do.
I have two hard drives.One for programs,OS etc.
The other I store all my data,images,documents etc. on.
Of course I also back all important data up weekly to a CD-RW as well.
Kind of a pain to stay on top of all of this but if shit goes bad I still will have my data.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 1:28:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 1:37:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Jarhead -

Do what I do.

Make complete handwritten backups of all your important documents that can be re-typed into a new computer in case your hard drive crashes.

[BD]

Just as a friend says...backup...backup...backup.

Gee, it's been a while since I've done that. Probably be a while before I do it again. [;)]

Hope I don't wait too long.

View Quote
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 2:03:28 PM EDT
[#10]
I have to agree with MOLITAS use a CD writer to back up any important files . If you are using a computer with a small hard drive these can free up a lot of space . I personally feel a person can't rely on a hard drive to save info on .
View Quote
???????????[>:/]
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 4:42:25 PM EDT
[#11]
OH, wait!

It gets better, folks!

Now that my OLD hard drive has returned, my NEW hard drive now has massive corruption[xx(], after only two minutes of file transfer ALL 6 gb of NEW data on my NEW hard drive, just like it did to 18 gb of data on my OLD hard drive.

[pissed][pissed]YAY! MY COMPUTER $#!!&*%&&* EATS HARD DRIVES![pissed][pissed]

Now, I have to buy a NEW one, because I have no idea how to stop this computer from trashing hard drives...It's done it twice now, and I'm not paying to have the data recovered again.

[pissed]Juggernaut[pissed]

Link Posted: 12/6/2001 5:57:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 6:05:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 6:07:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Well, Juggernaut, the good news is that there's plenty of deals out there on computers nowadays!

I've gone from 486s, to 660s, to 866s, 1.2 Gbs, and finally to 1.4 Gbs, and yet there are computer systems out there with 1.7 Gbs that cost what my 1.2 cost last December!

For less than a grand you have a computer that could land men on the Moon. Possibly.

Eric The(ThankGodForAMDAthalon!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 6:36:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
That sucks.Might consider doing what I do.
I have two hard drives.One for programs,OS etc.
The other I store all my data,images,documents etc. on.
Of course I also back all important data up weekly to a CD-RW as well.
Kind of a pain to stay on top of all of this but if shit goes bad I still will have my data.
View Quote

[b]Same thing I do and thought that it would work. So I too had FAT table problems with the OS drive - no worry $120 I've got a 40 GB Barracuda drive, slap that puppy in and install Win98SE. Windows formats the blank hard drive and then does a scan on is and the old D: (data) drive. Windows has found errors on drive D: would you like us to fix them? Without two seconds thought I said yes and lost five years worth of email, pictures, web sights, e-books but not my MP3 files on the same drive. Windows got pissed that I had dared installed "my documents" and "my photos" directories on the D: drive. It not only deleted the files but also emptied the trash. [:D]
View Quote
[/b]

Paul,I only have an OS installed on my C drive,my D drive is strictly for data and I haven't run into any file allocation problems using this setup.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 6:39:22 PM EDT
[#16]
I RAN OVER A COMPUTER ONCE.

it was on purpose i backed over it with my truck. the comp was my friends, he bought it for $5. he took off all the parts he wanted and put the rest back together. than we took it out in the street, and i backed over it with the truck (1/2 ton chevy). it squashed it flat. the was a big cruch noise and the sound of bending metal and snaping plastic. it was cool. we both agreed we had gotten $5 worth of entertainment.

OffRoad
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 10:04:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Jarhead_22:

I regularly back up everything except the software (I’ve got the original software CDs anyway).

This isn’t to say I’m smarter than you.  Rather, a while back I lost about 5 years of historical info at work that I really, really needed.  Never again!!

I’ve got one especially important file that I routinely back up, plus I keep a floppy backup of it in my Jeep; plus I have a hard copy back up, plus I’ve e-mailed a copy to myself (to keep it on someone else’s server).  Like I said before – never again!

To paraphrase the old joke:  there are two kinds of computer users, those who’ve lost all their files, and those who are going to lose all their files.
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 6:02:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Hey Paul, at least you didn't get a "Windows 98 is unable to recognize Windows 98" error message...
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 6:23:26 AM EDT
[#19]
WOW!!
So much data down the sh**ter [:(]
If you have a cd writer, you should check out a program called GHOST. It will span a disk image across multiple CDs, so all you have to do is boot to the cd and 20 minutes later your monster 100gb drive is back to the condition it was in before that bad cable/voltage spike/head skip toasted it.

Neat proggie, we use it and veritas here at work.
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 6:29:52 AM EDT
[#20]
The best way to handle this, well the easiest anyway, is to run two hard drives. Then any time that you download stuff or store stuff you just put it on /D instead of /C. The majority of times that you crash a hard drive it is the primary drive and then you just have to recover it or replace it. You will still have all your data stored on the secondary drive. I've been doing this for years and it has worked to save my stuff on numerous occasions.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 6:35:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
hehee... you probably lost the File Allocation Table!
View Quote

That's it, the FAT table is what the computer guru called it.

F&%*ing hosed, is what I call it.
View Quote

There should be more than one copy of the File Allocation Table.  Norton Disk Doctor should have been able to copy the backup to the place of the original, barring a physical error on that area of the drive.

God Bless Texas
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top