Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2006 6:26:53 PM EDT
Hey guys, I got some bad news about my mother. She needs catarac surgery in both eyes.

Since last january her sight has gone down hill, she has trouble reading and that sort of thing.
Now it is a matter of when to have it done. She will be able to get it free in September with medicare or she can have it done using her insurance(retired state employee).

I know they replace the lens and there are options in these lenses. Who has had it done and which lens would you suggest?

Now if she has it done now she will be ready for dove season but will miss spring turkey season. Yes she is 65 and loves to hunt/fish. Of course if she waits till the end of september I can still be her at dove hunting.

Oh well it is heck getting old, now where did I put that cane?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:29:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Not bad news... Its a simple procedure that alot of old peopel ahve to have done. My dad who juts turned 85 had his right eye done a few weeks ago. Simple and quick. In and out in like 2 hours I think.................Or maybe alot less, hell I was asleep.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:56:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:59:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm a surgical tech for doctors who do cataract surgery. As surgeries go, this is not bad at all.
Properly done, you are awake, sedated and anesthetized. Takes about 10 minutes, and you walk out
(no blood, no stitches) and take it easy for the rest of the day. Choice of the lens that is implanted
is made by the surgeon, depending on many factors ( including who his regular suppliers are). The
major makers of intraocular lenses all have good products, so I wouldn't worry about that. The
biggest thing you can do to insure a good outcome is to pick a good doctor.

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:00:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:03:21 PM EDT
[#5]
My mom has had both hers done in the past 3 months, says she cant believe she waited as long as she did to do it! She's worn glasses for all the 30 something years I've known her, and now she doesnt wear them all the time. I remember people we knew getting it when I was a kid, they would have the big patches on for weeks, seemed like, and had all kinds of restrictions. Nothing like that now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top