Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/27/2006 12:13:45 PM EDT
Seems fairly straight-forward. I am going to buy a new one online, cut out the old one, weld in a new one.

Anything more to it?

In case you need to know, 98 Chevy k1500, 5.0...I believe its a 3" inlet and outlet.

ETA: ALmost forgot, soemone recommended new O2 sensors, up and downstream. This a good idea?
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 12:47:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Uh don't do it when it is hot?    Other than that it will usually stink for a while when you first heat up the new one or at least some do that they get that sulfur rotten egg smell.  Sounds like you know what you are doing though GL!
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 1:49:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't forget to take the old one in for scrap.
You should be able to get about $200 for it.
That my friend is a case of ammo!  
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 3:08:13 PM EDT
[#3]
how about cutting it out and just straight piping your exhaust
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 3:13:46 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

That would be a felony.  

CJ
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 5:02:34 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Don't forget to take the old one in for scrap.
You should be able to get about $200 for it.
That my friend is a case of ammo!  

How is this possible? The new one is only $70  
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 9:56:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Sorry, I should have read your post a little more carefully.

The converters on newer cars have a lot of precious metals in them.
Some of the new car dealerships around my area have had problems with
punks cutting the converters off of the cars on the lots and selling them for scrap.

I was only quoting what I had read in the local news paper.

Mabey only newer cars have enough value to be worth scraping.
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 10:38:34 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That would be a felony.  

CJ

it's not a felony, it just means your car won't pass inspection if they test for emmissions and you'll get a ticket.  felonies involve economic or physical harm to someone, not cutting out your catalyst.  what state do you live in?
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 9:38:16 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That would be a felony.  

CJ

it's not a felony, it just means your car won't pass inspection if they test for emmissions and you'll get a ticket.  felonies involve economic or physical harm to someone, not cutting out your catalyst.  what state do you live in?

Plus, it causes your fuel Inj. system to make your fuel air mixture too rich, thus decreasing fuel economy.

A guy I know might have done that very thing on a '95 Chevy Silverado.  Trust me, you want to replace the Converter.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 11:28:35 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That would be a felony.  

CJ

Plus, it causes your fuel Inj. system to make your fuel air mixture too rich, thus decreasing fuel economy.

A guy I know might have done that very thing on a '95 Chevy Silverado.  Trust me, you want to replace the Converter.

take it to your dealer and have them flash the computer to lean your mixture and advance your timing.  then you'll get better gas mileage AND have a lot more horsepower from the lack of a catalyst and the timing will also give you a few ponies.  it was more of a joke than anything, you spew some raunchy stuff out your tailpipe when don't have a catalyst, including SOX.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 3:26:33 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
take it to your dealer and have them flash the computer to lean your mixture and advance your timing.  then you'll get better gas mileage AND have a lot more horsepower from the lack of a catalyst and the timing will also give you a few ponies.  it was more of a joke than anything, you spew some raunchy stuff out your tailpipe when don't have a catalyst, including SOX.

Dealerships aren't gonna be in a big hurry to help you tamper with emissions equipment.  And besides, they can't "flash the computer" to lean or adjust anything outside of factory parameters.

And what the hell is SOX?  Do you mean NOX?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top