Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/12/2006 7:09:32 PM EDT
I usually check my cat's ears one or twice a week since they have had mites in the past.

the mites disappeared in his left ear real quick, but didn't disappear in his right ear as quick so I watched the right ear more than the left.

I checked my male cats left ear tonight for the first time in a couple of weeks, and he seems to have a thin growth with tiny black hairs on it. It is longer than wide, and seems to originate from the middle of the ear and traveling down towards the canal.

this is sunday night, i plan on taking him into the vet tomorrow after class.  He doesn't itch it consistently, but I have noticed today he has itched his ear more than usual.  Is this something to worry about long term? is it usual for 2 year male cat? thanks in advance..
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:11:43 PM EDT
[#1]
there's a simple fix for your cat problems --

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:12:52 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
there's a simple fix for your cat problems --

ok forgot, serious replies please.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:13:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:14:20 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
How does a cat Itch his ear?

rear leg..just like a dog.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:17:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I hate cats
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:19:57 PM EDT
[#6]

He doesn't itch it consistently

Well tell him to quit it, and it'll get better.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:24:34 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

He doesn't itch it consistently

Well tell him to quit it, and it'll get better.

i took the surefire and examined his ear...and this 'growth' might just actually be his physiology of his ears. I just never noticed it until I got it underneath a white light..
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:57:44 PM EDT
[#8]
still might be mites though.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 11:04:01 PM EDT
[#9]
It's pretty bad when you can't even ask a serious question about a cat and get any kind of serious answer.

If I had any ideas I would help, but I really don't. I think a Vet is the way to go.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:24:30 AM EDT
[#10]
take to the vet, the vet will probably prescribe ear drops
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:34:34 AM EDT
[#11]
"Even a small cat is a masterpiece" - some famous guy.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:43:08 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
take to the vet, the vet will probably prescribe ear drops

+1

I have to put drops in my cat's ears.  I use a q-tip to clean her ears as well.  If you wrap the cat in a towel first, they are much easier to control for clipping claws, cleaning ears, etc.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:15:31 AM EDT
[#13]
1 .22 bullet and a shove then grab the next cat that ambels by
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:22:08 AM EDT
[#14]
You should be able to get some drops at a pet store and save yourself some money.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:38:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Our Vet told us to put a couple drops of mineral oil in their ears to kill mites. It seems to work well.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:47:00 PM EDT
[#16]
The store-bought mite medicine works, but you have to apply it daily until the mites are gone.

The stuff the vet uses will kick the mites' asses in one application.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:04:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Definitely sounds like it might be some kind of parasite or something.  Since it's on the ear it'll probably be pretty easy to treat.  

Fingers crossed.

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:12:24 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Definitely sounds like it might be some kind of parasite or something.  Since it's on the ear it'll probably be pretty easy to treat.  

Fingers crossed.

im keeping my eye on it, it hasn't changed but I think it is just the formation of the ear and the folds that the cats have, it had some wax on it, making it look different..

i haven't seen him itch yet today..

i still have some drops for mites in the fridge, im thinking of reapplying
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top