Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Posted: 10/24/2013 1:38:25 PM EDT
Kind of new to cats, and need some help. Growing up cats were always outside animals, so we never got close to them. More of a dog guy anyways. My GSD of fourteen years passed away last year, and have been pet less since. In June my niece dumped a big two and a half year old male, neutered orange tabby off at my place. Her boy friend could not keep him anymore. I was hesitant but thought heck I will give it a try.

For four months or so it has been pretty cool. He acted more like a dog, would just sit and hang out, was pretty affectionate with out being needy. I left him alone when he was sleeping. All good, till Monday. He has been completely different. Does not hang out in any of his usual spots, his old routines are gone, and just has a shitty attitude. I try to pet him, and he sometimes snaps at me, not hard but does snap. Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 1:55:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Sick or injured? That could do it. Might want to ask a vet.

And cats will purr even when sick or injured.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 2:15:20 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
This definitely.  Illness / injury of some sort is usually what changes their behavior like this.  Get him to a vet.

Have there been any other changes lately like different food, change in box, or other environmental differences?  None of these usually yield the dramatic behavior change you noted but worth looking at all things.  

Link Posted: 10/24/2013 2:16:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Get him checked out, that doesn't happen without reason.

UTI maybe?
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 3:11:08 PM EDT
[#4]
No environmental changes or injury. If it keeps up over the weekend, I will take him to the vet on Monday. I have grown fond of the big orange hairball, but man he is a total dick right now. Thanks all.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 4:03:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

This, absolutely. We're on our fifth cat, 3 which we raised from kittenhood. Dramatic behavior changes = sick cat. Unfortunately in our case it was alway something equally dramatic: kidney disease, heart disease, cancer...

Even subtle changes mean things. Our current cat "chirps" now whenever he jumps off of something. We're pretty sure he's got something going on. We suspect arthritis or something orthodedic and put him on Glucosamine which has helped some, but it may be time for an x-ray...
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 4:38:55 PM EDT
[#6]
In pain, and doesn't want to move or be touched?
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:56:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
No environmental changes or injury. If it keeps up over the weekend, I will take him to the vet on Monday. I have grown fond of the big orange hairball, but man he is a total dick right now. Thanks all.
View Quote

Update?
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 4:31:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Took him to the vet, and other then giving him a flea treatment, said there was nothing wrong with him. He has been better, but not the same as he was. Chalking it up to a mood swing/phase for now.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top