Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/29/2005 9:24:24 PM EDT
I don’t understand why people get so upset over the loss of these animals?
There have been a few threads about people losing these kinds of animals in the past few years, and I'm
Not trying to make it seem like it’s not hard for those people to lose them, I simply don’t understand.

How can a cat, rabbit, fish, snake, etc. affect a person so much?

I don’t understand the connection to them.

flame away

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:26:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/29/2005 9:27:02 PM EDT by jcp84]
A lot of pets are regarded as family. Plain and simple. Some don't feel that way about their pets, and that's ok... as long as they don't take it too far and neglect/abuse them.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:27:21 PM EDT
Would you lump a Hunting Buddy Lab into that "pet" catagory?
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:28:26 PM EDT
They're better than kids
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:29:36 PM EDT
slow night eh? What difference does it make. If you see someone suffering, isn't it typical to show compassion, even if you can't relate?

Patty
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:29:53 PM EDT
Cats are of relatively high intelligence. They have personalities. My cat literally loves me. She gets excited when I wake up in the morning, misses me when I'm gone, and depends on me to take care of her. It's like a child almost (in my guestimation, seeing as I'm not a father). They aren't people, but they're damn close sometimes.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:31:11 PM EDT
The animal becomes part of your soul. You bond with it. You take care of it. You laugh at the stupid things it does. A dog protects your family (for the most part) and a cat, well, has a mind of its own but still gives your life joy. Each one of my animals (I have 8) has their own personality. And each one has given me a lot of joy in my life. (Except my wifes Yorkie..Little turd) No, even he has made me laugh at all his antics..

My mutt would give his life for one of us and my cats keep the yard and house free of critters

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:34:15 PM EDT

Originally Posted By pattymcn:
If you see someone suffering, isn't it typical to show compassion, even if you can't relate?
Patty

I have done nothing but...

If you can find a post that differs I'll give ya a dollar..
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:35:10 PM EDT

Originally Posted By paenutz:

If you see someone suffering, isn't it typical to show compassion, even if you can't relate?
Patty

I actually didn't accuse you of anything, nor meant too, just making a point. Patty
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:35:41 PM EDT
You do develop a bond with these animals. When I was an undergrad, I had a cat, a feral rescue kitten. She was always quiet and a little skittish around other people, but after a while she thought of me more or less as Mom. She'd sit in my lap and groom herself, then somehow it'd be my turn. Guess my arms are really hairy.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:35:49 PM EDT

Originally Posted By paenutz:

Patty

I have a question. Did you grow up with pets? Your kind of inquiry tends to come from people who didn't grow up with pets. Just a curiosity.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:36:43 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Mall-Ninja:
You do develop a bond with these animals. When I was an undergrad, I had a cat, a feral rescue kitten. She was always quiet and a little skittish around other people, but after a while she thought of me more or less as Mom. She'd sit in my lap and groom herself, then somehow it'd be my turn. Guess my arms are really hairy.

My cat will groom me too sometimes. Sometimes it's my face. Cat tongues hurt. (It's usually when I'm asleep and I wake up to OWWW!")
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:43:30 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Az_Redneck:
My mutt would give his life for one of us and my cats keep the yard and house free of critters

That is why I didn't mention Dogs, let alone Horses, I have had many of both and THEY
have always been an intrical part of the family, but at some point critters, are just critters...

I have put down just about every kind, cats, dogs, birds & snakes etc. and have never felt any of the
kind of remorse that I see expressed here...

I mean relating someone losing a pet to me losing a CHILD?

My kids would fear for their lives if I had that attitude.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:46:45 PM EDT
The reason people refer to loosing a pet as the same as loosing a child is because [thankfully] most people have never lost a child and the most pain they have suffered was from that of a pet.

Its not right, its not the same, but it still hurts. My little boy broke a tea cup given to me by my great grandmother a few months back, I sobbed off and on for a couple of days. [It was my only thing I had left of her]. Not the same as losing her or of course a child but it still hurt.

Patty
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:47:15 PM EDT
It's just part of the family, especially if you've had the animal for 10 years.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:49:08 PM EDT
People that don't understand why other people cry when a pet is sick or dies have never owned any pets, or never felt attachments to them.
When I was growing up we had a Irish Setter named Rusty. He was always there with me. I talked to him when I felt I couldn't talk to anyone else. He protected me from a Chow that attacked me. He was my best friend.
Then he was diagnosed with Diabetes. He went blind, and was down to eating a half can of special food a day, and snapped at the other dog while he was eating because he was hungry all the time. We dealt with this for 6 months.
I took him for one last walk and then we drove him to the Vet to be put down. I held him while he was being injected and felt his life slip away.
Every time I start to think about him, I begin to cry, like right now. The same as for my Sheperd/ Collie mix Crocket ( Sonny Crocket From Miami Vice was his namesake) that I had for 14 years and had to have put down at 2am one night. He had hip displacia(sp).
I remember how ashamed he looked when he soiled himself on his last night alive, he had never used the bathroom in the house ever. As I sat holding him and the Vet injected him, he struggled a bit and then looked at me and I swear he knew I loved him he then went to sleep.
I took him home and buried him in the front yard right where he used to stand guard. To this day there is a stone pedestal marking his grave.
The love and loss you feel with pets is the greatest and the worst feeling in the world you can have besides the love you feel for your wife or family.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:50:57 PM EDT
As you stated, you have kids. To many people that are unable, for whaterver reason, to have children, the "pets" become surrogate children. Also, once people advance in years and their children have grown up and moved away, often the pets are used as replacements. These animals are intelligent. They are able to learn, to bond, and to love. For the love that they provide us, we gain a certain amount of love for them. No, in most cases it is not as strong as the love for ones own child (house is burning, save the dog or the baby? Of course save the baby!!) but it is still an intense emotion...
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:54:09 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Fly-Navy:
I have a question. Did you grow up with pets? Your kind of inquiry tends to come from people who didn't grow up with pets. Just a curiosity.

Yes sir,

hell the first cat I had, I had to take the VET myself to have put down after the neighbor shot it in his garden.
My father was at work and I was 10, he didn’t bitch but, I realize NOW why he was annoyed that he had to pay the $40 to have it put to sleep...

How one can have a bond as an adult that I didn’t have as a child is what I am wondering about.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:02:11 PM EDT
You're trying to tell me that as a child you felt no connection to your cat? Then why did you take it to the vet and pay to have it put down? Why not just put it down yourself?
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:08:05 PM EDT
You don't "own" cats. They just decide to hang with you, and tolerate your bullshit. To them, you are just a can opener with legs.
We've had many cats, and a couple dogs over the years. Something always seems to happen to them. They just disappear, or get run over or something. We have one yellow striped cat now. It was "Given" to us as a kitten. My wife and little girl treat it like a family member. To me, it's just a little 4 legged money pit, who roams the house tearing up my shit.
All that said, I have more regard for the cat than some people I know....
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:12:00 PM EDT

Originally Posted By vengarr:
People that don't understand why other people cry when a pet is sick or dies have never owned any pets, or never felt attachments to them.

Sure I understand, I cried when I was 10 and had my fav. cat put down, I cried when it took me
4 tries to cut the head off of my cousin’s favorite Shepard with a spade shovel after a colt kicked it in the head when I was 13... (we weren’t aloud to touch his father’s guns when he was not with us :( )
Hell I even cried a little when I was 20 and my daughter’s first dog passed but I did it quietly while I buried him...

I guess I am asking the wrong questions?
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:15:14 PM EDT
I liked our cats growing up. We had one that at olives-very sophisticated. I just can't remember giving a shit when they didn't come home. They would always end up torn to shreds and smelling like piss and rotten fish.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:21:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/29/2005 10:28:54 PM EDT by paenutz]

You're trying to tell me that as a child you felt no connection to your cat? Then why did you take it to the vet and pay to have it put down? Why not just put it down yourself?

Hell yeah I bawled, but I was ten years old.

I hated the Doc because he told me that was all he could do, but I did it.

I carried tha cat in a box close to 2 and a half miles hoping to get it fixed.

I was TEN YEARS OLD. and had it put down, no dramatics, no thousand dollar surgeries...

Sure I felt bad... But I know better now...
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:31:41 PM EDT

Why not just put it down yourself?
When the time comes, this is my intention. My cat's my little bud, and I just can't see having a stranger doing it. I'll hate doing it, and I'll feel like absolute shit for weeks after, but if I put him in the truck, he'll know where he's going (he hates going to the vet). This way, he won't suffer or fear, and the last thing he'll hear is my voice, and the last thing he'll feel will be my hand petting him. I sure as shit am not looking forward to that day, lemme tell ya.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 12:55:26 AM EDT
Some people don't have wife, kids or even close friends, just the way it is for some. I don't have a human family and while I have friends at this age I rarely see them, hadn't seen most of them in years. I also really don't have any desire to have a human family anyhow.
Also on the deserving scale, I've had more than enough trouble from people throughout life in a lot of ways, most people have, but I've never had anything but love and loyalty from animals.
They have their own personalities as unique as people to me and they're always themselves, there's no animal sheeples, or deception or dishonesty in them.
My dogs go most places with me and there's nothing like having a close pack out in the woods at night. And my cats are at my house.
In short they're who I spend most of my time with, so if something happens to them I miss them just like someone else would miss something they care about if it weren't around there anymore.
Some people consider pets as property, but I know there's a big difference in property and life.
Top Top