Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/13/2007 6:57:06 AM EDT
Went to the wife's stepmothers house for dinner last night.
She videotaped the CBS Sunday Morning show interview with Cat Stevens and played it for us.

OK, I can understand Cat Stevens has found his religion and if he's happy with it then no big fucking deal.

However, it's how he came to find his faith that gets me.

He goes for a midnight swim in the ocean off the coast of Malibu and has a "near death experince.

But in 1975 while swimming off the coast of Malibu, Calif., another brush with death revealed his true destiny.

"I decided to go for a swim. Of course nobody told me that that wasn't a good time to go swimming," Islam said. "So there I was, you know, out there, and I'm thinking, 'Ah, great, hmm, OK, let's go back now.' And then I ... tried to swim back to shore. And suddenly I felt 'I can't do this' — the tide was going the other way. I wasn't getting any closer.

"Suddenly I was petrified. I thought: 'This might be it.' I said: 'God, if you save me, I'll work for you.' It was without hesitation that I knew that, instinctively, there was a power that could help me. And then a little wave, you know, came behind me — a little wave, it wasn't very big. But it was that miraculous moment when suddenly the tide was going in my favor. I had my energy, I could swim back. I was on land. I was alive. Wow, what next?"

The fucking retard converted to Islam and gave up making excellent music, stardom and hot chicks because he swam in a FUCKING RIP TIDE OFF THE COAST OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA?!?!

What the fuck, what a fucking retarded moron!!

My dad and uncles taught me about rip tides when I was a young boy.
Me and my brothers have been caught in rip tides a few times.
Just swim in the direction the current takes you and sooner or later the rip ends and you can swim (or take a wave) to the shore.

In fact, use extra care at nearly all Pacific Coast beaches, as these are known for their powerful "rip tides."

These are not tides, but instead strong currents that run from the shoreline out toward the open sea.

When gripped in these, swimmers panic and exhaust themselves by trying to swim against the current to reach shore.

Instead, remember that rip tides run in narrow bands.

The secret is swimming perpendicular to the current—not against it—until out of its grip. Then swim toward shore in the calmer waters.

Keep in mind, too, that rip tides usually quickly lose momentum and turn back toward shore.

Thus, in many cases, you can just relax, float , and eventually be taken back toward shore.

Link Posted: 8/13/2007 7:00:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Feel better?
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 7:05:16 AM EDT
[#2]
that reminds me of the movie with Burt Reynolds "The End" when he swam out into the ocean at the end.  So much so that I wonder if one influenced the other.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 7:07:42 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
that reminds me of the movie with Burt Reynolds "The End" when he swam out into the ocean at the end.  So much so that I wonder if one influenced the other.  

Are you saying that Cat Stephens actually became a muslim after watching a Burt Reynold's movie and only dreamed he was in a riptide?
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 7:10:07 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you saying that Cat Stephens actually became a muslim after watching a Burt Reynold's movie and only dreamed he was in a riptide?

yes

you have articulated it better than I could

Had he watched Smokey and the Bandit first, who knows how he would have turned out.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 7:12:02 AM EDT
[#5]
IBDOC308
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 7:16:12 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Had he watched Smokey and the Bandit first, who knows how he would have turned out.  

Link Posted: 8/13/2007 7:32:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top