Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/19/2016 1:48:15 PM EDT
Magnetically bonds to metal. Anyone tried it on a BCG or Trigger Group?
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 3:07:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
View Quote

Theoretically if it magnetically bonds to metal then the friction coefficient of particles stuck on another surface will increase between two surfaces.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 3:10:11 PM EDT
[#2]
A member here who knows more about guns than anyone else I know once told me that he would have no problem using mobile1 as CLP if he were in a pinch.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 3:11:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Theoretically if it magnetically bonds to metal then the friction coefficient of particles stuck on another surface will increase between two surfaces.
View Quote

Not sure what all this means OP but you've got my attention.   I'd definitely be interested to hear more on this topic.  

I'd be inclined to try it. I prefer using lithium grease in my guns than oil
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 3:12:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

You should do a full battery of testing against other lubricants.
And then report your findings here with videos and evidence to support your conclusions.

Much better than believing what you read in a thread on the internet.

Link Posted: 12/19/2016 3:15:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
A member here who knows more about guns than anyone else I know once told me that he would have no problem using mobile1 as CLP if he were in a pinch.
View Quote

I've heard of a pretty reputable LE shooting/firearms school on the west coast that issues their students a quart of Mobil 1 as all the CLP they'll ever need.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 3:18:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Motor oil works much better than dedicated gun lubes, which are basic industry lubes that are simply repackaged and given a hyper inflated price.

In independent tests M1 had great rust resistance as well (top 3).  And no, virgin motor oil is not toxic, used motor oil is.

During 600 round carbine courses my Slip EWL would dry up, not Mobil 1...it was still wet.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 3:24:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Not sure what all this means OP but you've got my attention.   I'd definitely be interested to hear more on this topic.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The lube that magnetically bonds to Surface A.

The lube that bonds magnetically to Surface B.

Now two separate bonds will be bonding with each other as a force is applied.

Take two plates and put a magnet on each plate.

Now move those plates by each other. If they are of the same polarity they will repeal each other however if the magnetic particles are not parallel the magnetic forces could attract to each other thus creating more friction.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 3:27:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Now move those plates by each other. If they are of the same polarity they will repeal each other however if the magnetic particles are not parallel the magnetic forces could attract to each other thus creating more friction.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks brother.  Explained it well.  . Science wasn't my strong suit in school nor my profession.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 3:40:07 PM EDT
[#9]
I use Mobil 1 for my STI Edge. It works very well.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 3:44:11 PM EDT
[#10]
I really tend to just use whatever is in the toolbox of the truck or in the garage.

Right now I think I am currently using amsoil and some of that tw-25 stuff
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 3:44:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I use Mobil 1 for my STI Edge. It works very well.
View Quote

Do you use a seperate cleaner, or just use Mobil 1 as a clp?
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 4:07:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Motor oil works much better than dedicated gun lubes, which are basic industry lubes that are simply repackaged and given a hyper inflated price.

In independent tests M1 had great rust resistance as well (top 3).  And no, virgin motor oil is not toxic, used motor oil is.

During 600 round carbine courses my Slip EWL would dry up, not Mobil 1...it was still wet.
View Quote

I shot 3000 rounds over 4 days at a prairie dog shoot with my AR that was lubricated with slip 2000 EWL. After 3000 rounds the gun was still wet and lubricated.  I have done this numerous times with slip 2000 so I'm going to have to call BS on your 600 round claim.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 4:12:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why wait until you're in a pinch? The stuff works great, at least for a lube. One quart will last your whole life. I've never tried to clean with it, but it would probably work well enough.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 4:14:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I shot 3000 rounds over 4 days at a prairie dog shoot with my AR that was lubricated with slip 2000 EWL. After 3000 rounds the gun was still wet and lubricated.  I have done this numerous times with slip 2000 so I'm going to have to call BS on your 600 round claim.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go right ahead. Even Slip states EWL has a 2,000 round maximum, which is nothing.  M1 walks all over EWL in every way.  Oh, and fyi, Slip 2000 can be bought in commercial quantity under a different marketing name for a fraction of the price, it's not even a gun lube...just re-purposed as one.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 4:14:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Are you implying that Castrol Magnetec increases friction?
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 4:15:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Gives off a burnt motor oil smell when you shoot but I've been using 10w30 for my entire life.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 4:16:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've used synthetic motor oil as my primary weapon lube for 8 years now. In temps ranging from 20's all the way to 100+ degrees and it works well.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 4:19:56 PM EDT
[#18]
This thread has some potential.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 4:20:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Go right ahead. Even Slip states EWL has a 2,000 round maximum, which is nothing.  M1 walks all over EWL in every way.  Oh, and fyi, Slip 2000 can be bought in commercial quantity under a different marketing name for a fraction of the price, it's not even a gun lube...just re-purposed as one.
View Quote

We had a thread going for a long time with a lot of different pictures on this topic quite a few years back.  Even slip 2000 and a couple other manufactures got involved with it and provided free product to continue to test. EWL outlasted everything including mobile one.

The round count got into the many thousands. Never seen slip 2000 claim the 2000 round cap Because it's been proven to last far longer than that.   Not saying they haven't said that but claiming the gun is bone dry at 600 rounds is comical. There are many test done on the Internet that show this is simply not the case.

Edit
I just had a 500  round training session last week and my AR was nice and wet afterwards. Slip 2000 didn't even burn off a tiny bit.

Got a link for the other commercial product it's labeled under at a lower cost? It is a gun lube because it was submitted to Aberdeen for testing years ago and it passed all military tests and was given mill spec codes.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 4:25:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

We had a thread going for a long time with a lot of different pictures on this topic quite a few years back.  Even slip 2000 and a couple other manufactures got involved with it and provided free product to continue to test. EWL outlasted everything including mobile one.

The round count got into the many thousands. Never seen slip 2000 claim the 2000 round cap Because it's been proven to last far longer than that.   Not saying they haven't said that but claiming the gun is bone dry at 600 rounds is comical. There are many test done on the Internet that show this is simply not the case.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

States it drectly on their website.  Many independent tests  show M1 far exceeds EWL.  The fact that Slip is re-purposed oil says a lot. Then it is repackaged and heavily marked up, just like snake oil.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 4:28:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

I use my leftover from my oil changes.  I grease the slide rails and Mobil 1 the rest
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 4:29:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

States it drectly on their website.  Many independent tests  show M1 far exceeds EWL.  The fact that Slip is re-purposed oil says a lot. Then it is repackaged and heavily marked up, just like snake oil.
View Quote

Snake oil is not submitted to Aberdeen and doesn't pass all of their tests. The above comment you made clearly shows you are full of crap  with an agenda. Sorry man what you're claiming is comical.

Edit
Waiting for a link showing slip 2000 packaged under other commercial products at cheaper prices.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 4:29:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Makes about as much sense as using gun oil in place of car oil. 
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 4:30:06 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm still on my first bottle of CLP, still waiting for it to run out...
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 4:31:00 PM EDT
[#25]
I've heard some other match shooters say like synthetic motor oil because it doesn't smoke when hot. Anyway, there's no reason not to.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 4:33:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Are you implying coconuts migrate!?
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 4:35:09 PM EDT
[#27]
All I use is Mobil 1 in my firearms
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 4:43:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Also just read their entire website and it doesn't say anywhere that it's only good for 2000 rounds. In the PDF it says it will last a minimum of 3000 rounds if properly applied on a clean weapon and 50,000 rounds if properly applied on a schedule. Again you're full of crap man.

Link Posted: 12/19/2016 4:52:38 PM EDT
[#29]
I use standard Mobil 1 synthetic on all of my firearms 95% of the time. I've had nothing but outstanding results with it.

I use BreakFree CLP and a few different solvents for cleaning purposes, but M1 synthetic is my go-to gun lubricant.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 4:56:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't be silly! Of course they don't migrate!...

Perhaps they could have been carried...
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 5:08:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OP said magnetic attraction. If two magnetic particles are on opposing surfaces then they will be drawn to each other thus creating some form of friction-resistance.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 5:20:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

This was my finding.  I thought Slip was gonna be great, yet overpriced.  I realized I had to reapply a LOT more often than decent synthetic motor oil.  

I also found that my cheap buddy who bought the cheaper comparable Walmart synthetic motor oil, gets identical results in north Texas non extreme environments.  I suspect the results would be similar in extreme cold too.  The popular internet video shows the regular Walmart oil not their synthetic.  

I still have half a quart of Mobil 1 dedicated for guns though.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 5:24:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Edit
I just had a 500  round training session last week and my AR was nice and wet afterwards. Slip 2000 didn't even burn off a tiny bit.

Got a link for the other commercial product it's labeled under at a lower cost? It is a gun lube because it was submitted to Aberdeen for testing years ago and it passed all military tests and was given mill spec codes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Edit

Not my real world experience.  Slip dried up relatively quick compared to Mobil 1.  This is a real world test of one.  It is good enough for me.  Anybody wants to pay $15/4 ounces go right ahead.  I am sure Slip appreciates your business.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 5:35:36 PM EDT
[#34]
I use M1 on my cheapo 22lr AR conversion.  Sloppy wet and it runs great.  So I use it on all gun lube points now.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 5:49:47 PM EDT
[#35]
What weight Mobil 1
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 5:55:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Fucking Magnatecs, how do they work?
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 6:32:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 6:36:53 PM EDT
[#38]
It should work no problem.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 6:45:07 PM EDT
[#39]
I've moved to Lucas Extreme Duty Gun Oil.  I've used Mobil 1 in the past, but so far I like the Lucas better.  I really don't like how fast CLP goes away.
http://www.avantlink.com/click.php?tt=cl&pw=55963&ctc=iwwo67rcsh00zk8a00y51&mi=10077&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.brownells.com%2Fgun-cleaning-chemicals%2Foils-lubricants%2Flubricant-protectant-oils%2Fextreme-duty-gun-oil-prod71172.aspx
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 6:47:51 PM EDT
[#40]
I think it's funny you guys recommend M1 when most people in the performance car world hate it.

That shits not aloud within 10ft of my turbo cars let alone my wife's Fiesta.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 6:50:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I think it's funny you guys recommend M1 when most people in the performance car world hate it.

View Quote

What's the issue with Mobil 1?
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 7:02:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolutely nothing.  But go to this site here and you will quickly see that Pennzoil vs Mobil 1 vs Castrol vs Valvoline vs Amsoil vs etc etc etc is no different there than Sig vs Glock vs Beretta vs Colt vs S&W vs Ruger vs etc etc etc is here.

Or for truck guys, Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge vs Toyota.  

And don't even get them started on synthetic vs dino vs high mileage vs blend......
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 7:18:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Absolutely nothing.  But go to this site here and you will quickly see that Pennzoil vs Mobil 1 vs Castrol vs Valvoline vs Amsoil vs etc etc etc is no different there than Sig vs Glock vs Beretta vs Colt vs S&W vs Ruger vs etc etc etc is here.

Or for truck guys, Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge vs Toyota.  

And don't even get them started on synthetic vs dino vs high mileage vs blend......
View Quote

I've been on BITOG since 2003 I think. Mobil 1 has a stellar reputation as one of the finest synthetic oils made on that website. Also many high-performance race teams from Honda,  Aston Martin, Ferrari and Lamborghini are using mobil 1
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 7:25:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Moving parts are moving parts.

I use 10w on my lathe ways, spindle, and leadscrew.

10w motor oil should do fine on a gun, too.   It's not like an automotive engine where the same oil is being recycled for a hundred of hours of constant operation before being changed.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 7:31:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Anyone who thinks gun oil works better than M1 has never tried it.

It is a great AR lube.  I use 5w-30, Sub zero to Summer.

Also works great for suppressed guns.

Anything that gets a lot of carbon build up, keeps it soft and easy to remove.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 7:32:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Anyone who thinks gun oil works better than M1 has never tried it.

It is a great AR lube.  I use 5w-30, Sub zero to Summer.

Also works great for suppressed guns.

Anything that gets a lot of carbon build up, keeps it soft and easy to remove.
View Quote

Automotive engine oil has detergents in it that are supposed to do exactly that, IIRC.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 7:34:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Don't know if this is the thread your talking about

Which lube protects best
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 8:09:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Mobil 1 0w40
Q-tip.
I will begin using German Castrol Syn 0w40 as soon as my 1/4 qt of M1 is gone.
Gonna be a while.

Link Posted: 12/19/2016 8:10:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I've heard of a pretty reputable LE shooting/firearms school on the west coast that issues their students a quart of Mobil 1 as all the CLP they'll ever need.
View Quote

Id love to hear of a reputable shooting school on the west coast.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 8:13:57 PM EDT
[#50]
I use plain old generic 30 weight to lube my 1919a4.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top